Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scar Tissue

Posted by Pauline on 6/13/00 at 08:00 (021748)

Can someone fill me in on scar tissue. Have you had success in getting rid of it, if so how? In the Plantar Fascia area is this
something that is just reabsorbed? Causes? For those that have
had PF for years is this the main cause of your problem in getting
rid of PF? If the scar tissue is throughout the arch can ESWT help it?

Re: Scar Tissue

Kim B. on 6/13/00 at 12:22 (021755)

Hi Pauline, The massage therapist/reflexologist I use works to break up the scar tissue in my feet. It isn't always pleasent, hurts a bit. I'm not sure about the re-absorbing part. I really don't know much about it, wish I could help more.

Others will be along to help soon. In the mean time, try the message board search feature located above to see what others have already posted regarding this.

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 6/13/00 at 17:49 (021766)

why do you have scar tissue pauline? have you had surgery or have you torn your fascia?

Pauline on 6/13/00 at 18:14 (021770)

John,
That is what the Physical Therapist called it. I can feel a thickness in the arch of my foot that keeps crackeling or kind of moving when it is massaged. If you roll your finger over that area
it reminds you of a flat balloon with water in it. As the finger rolls over one side the stuff inside roll or flows to the other. It doesn't appear to be actual fluid like water. Is this scar tissue?

Laurie R on 6/13/00 at 19:19 (021774)

Hi Pauline,
I also have a big lump on my fascia,which is scar tissue today my therapist tried so hard to get it down.It could take sometime to go away. Before I was in a cast for 9 weeks it was all gone and when the cast came off it was all back but even more.I think message is the best thing (deep tissue) It can hurt ,but it also can feel good at the same time.Are you going to PT? My best to you . Laurie R

PattyS on 6/13/00 at 23:09 (021786)

I think it is scar tissue. I had Active Release Therapy about 6 weeks ago (went for two weeks) and my husband now massages my foot about once a week, but was doing it daily during the therapy. He says he can feel a difference in my feet now-he no longer hears the crackling that you mentioned, and doesnt feel stuff moving around. I would say I am pretty much pain free, but on those occasions where I really push it I can feel my foot tightening up again. I am not a Dr. and would be interested to hear what a Dr. thinks. Patty

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/14/00 at 06:57 (021803)

It take a wound about one year for complete remodeling and what is left is left. Scar tissue is excessive fibrous tissue or thickness of that area. The key is to reduce the production of the fibrous tissue before the year's time. It is possible to reduce scar tissue in the pf at the insertion with ESWT. Due to the micro-trauma from the shock waves pounding the area you create an injury to the area which should help the reduce of fibrous tissue. which is scar tissue. How effective is this.
I have no idea and the literature isn't helpful either. You would still have to have pain on palpation at the area to consider ESWT therapy. Just having a thick area without pain isn't an indication for ESWT that i know about at this time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/14/00 at 07:00 (021805)

That sounds like either a bursa sac or ganglionic cyst. It sounds like the treatment broke the sac which should of had fluid in it. Either way the massage worked.

Pauline on 6/14/00 at 09:45 (021820)

Dr.Zuckerman,
The area where the crackeling and movement is located is the entire
arch area. It is very painful just to the touch. I have no pain
at the insertion PF area. I thought to use ESWT you had to have
the pain concentrated in a very small area. My uneducated guess is
that I still have a lot of inflammation with liquid moving around.
Is it possible for the cyst you are speaking about to be as large as the entire arch?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/14/00 at 16:37 (021836)

The cyst would be seen by you and able to be moved by you. ESWT is only for small areas. In the arch there is the navicular bone and you can have a problem with the posterior tendon which is a very important tendon in the arch. This tendon inserts into the arch by doing into the navicular bone. Just make sure your problem in addition to pf instead also a partial tear of the posterior tib. tendon. MRI would be the only way to tell.

Kim B. on 6/13/00 at 12:22 (021755)

Hi Pauline, The massage therapist/reflexologist I use works to break up the scar tissue in my feet. It isn't always pleasent, hurts a bit. I'm not sure about the re-absorbing part. I really don't know much about it, wish I could help more.

Others will be along to help soon. In the mean time, try the message board search feature located above to see what others have already posted regarding this.

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 6/13/00 at 17:49 (021766)

why do you have scar tissue pauline? have you had surgery or have you torn your fascia?

Pauline on 6/13/00 at 18:14 (021770)

John,
That is what the Physical Therapist called it. I can feel a thickness in the arch of my foot that keeps crackeling or kind of moving when it is massaged. If you roll your finger over that area
it reminds you of a flat balloon with water in it. As the finger rolls over one side the stuff inside roll or flows to the other. It doesn't appear to be actual fluid like water. Is this scar tissue?

Laurie R on 6/13/00 at 19:19 (021774)

Hi Pauline,
I also have a big lump on my fascia,which is scar tissue today my therapist tried so hard to get it down.It could take sometime to go away. Before I was in a cast for 9 weeks it was all gone and when the cast came off it was all back but even more.I think message is the best thing (deep tissue) It can hurt ,but it also can feel good at the same time.Are you going to PT? My best to you . Laurie R

PattyS on 6/13/00 at 23:09 (021786)

I think it is scar tissue. I had Active Release Therapy about 6 weeks ago (went for two weeks) and my husband now massages my foot about once a week, but was doing it daily during the therapy. He says he can feel a difference in my feet now-he no longer hears the crackling that you mentioned, and doesnt feel stuff moving around. I would say I am pretty much pain free, but on those occasions where I really push it I can feel my foot tightening up again. I am not a Dr. and would be interested to hear what a Dr. thinks. Patty

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/14/00 at 06:57 (021803)

It take a wound about one year for complete remodeling and what is left is left. Scar tissue is excessive fibrous tissue or thickness of that area. The key is to reduce the production of the fibrous tissue before the year's time. It is possible to reduce scar tissue in the pf at the insertion with ESWT. Due to the micro-trauma from the shock waves pounding the area you create an injury to the area which should help the reduce of fibrous tissue. which is scar tissue. How effective is this.
I have no idea and the literature isn't helpful either. You would still have to have pain on palpation at the area to consider ESWT therapy. Just having a thick area without pain isn't an indication for ESWT that i know about at this time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/14/00 at 07:00 (021805)

That sounds like either a bursa sac or ganglionic cyst. It sounds like the treatment broke the sac which should of had fluid in it. Either way the massage worked.

Pauline on 6/14/00 at 09:45 (021820)

Dr.Zuckerman,
The area where the crackeling and movement is located is the entire
arch area. It is very painful just to the touch. I have no pain
at the insertion PF area. I thought to use ESWT you had to have
the pain concentrated in a very small area. My uneducated guess is
that I still have a lot of inflammation with liquid moving around.
Is it possible for the cyst you are speaking about to be as large as the entire arch?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/14/00 at 16:37 (021836)

The cyst would be seen by you and able to be moved by you. ESWT is only for small areas. In the arch there is the navicular bone and you can have a problem with the posterior tendon which is a very important tendon in the arch. This tendon inserts into the arch by doing into the navicular bone. Just make sure your problem in addition to pf instead also a partial tear of the posterior tib. tendon. MRI would be the only way to tell.