Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I think this is my problem - please offer suggestions

Posted by Theresa R on 6/13/00 at 12:46 (021758)

I am seeking advice as someone who thinks Plantar Faciitis may be my problem. I've only been having pain for a month and am hesitant to go to the doctor for fear he will think me a hypochondriac. Based on what I'm reading there seems to be two groups: those who can rest and stretch and get over it, and those who will suffer chronic pain. Should I try rest and stretching first and only go to doctor if that doesn't work? Or go to the doctor right away? I know you aren't medical professionals, I just don't want to be the patient that cries wolf. My family also refuses to believe anything they can't see (i.e. my food allergies or my depression).

Background:
I've been having pain in my heel (bottom) for about a month now (in the mornings, when I get up after having sat for a while, after standing for more than 10 minutes). I wind up tip toeing until my heel 'warms up.' Hurts much worse when barefoot. (In fact I simply won't go barefoot anymore.)

So I surfed around the web to see what my problem might be and I found this great site. I pressed in the heel area that the picture showed - well, in addition to causing great pain, it was like a gameshow sound went off - 'bing bing bing bing bing' you've won! Hence, my belief that PF is my problem.

Re: I think this is my problem - please offer suggestions

Stephanie S. on 6/13/00 at 14:41 (021759)

Theresa...sounds to me like the classic signs of PF.
I for one...am just like you. The resting for short
periods of time...blah blah...especially the morning
pain.

I'm glad you've caught this early on. Maybe it will not
be too difficult for you to heal. The earlier the better.

It took me 3 months to realize...'It's not all in my head'
and 'Nope...I'm not too young to have foot problems'.

I guess why I put off going to the doctor sooner is because..
like you said...the warming up a bit...I'd feel better...
and then later I'd rest and get back up and the pain would
come back full force. The mornings...I would try not to slam
into the dresser. It was horrible.

I have had the PF for one full yr. Congrads to me..this
month makes it official. My feet are not as bad as they
once were. Don't get me wrong...I still hobble about the
house...I'm not near as fast as I was...just ask my hubby
about the house cleaning. LOL

I first went to see an Ortho-Surgeon...who is wonderful..
and nice..but at the same time..he blew it off as it was
no big deal...here's some nightsplints , some Vioxx ( girl
ya gotta get ya some of that), and showed me how to stretch
10 min before bed and 10 min upon rising. The joke is that
we have 4 small children who are rising out of their beds
throughout the night. Staying in the nightsplints is very
difficult...and the stretching is too.( Before getting out
of bed). When the kids call...they expect you to come running.

Let me just say..you have found the best website out there.
Surf all around Scott's site....especially the PF book.
You will more than likely get better information here than
anywhere else. I know that was my case anyway. I've been
given better advice and suggestions here than at my doctors.

I do think it's best to go ahead and see a doctor. Either
a Ortho-Surgeon or Podiatrist. Ask around ...family and friends
...who they would suggest. At least get it confirmed and then
go from there. Get the nightsplints if you can. Their big and
ugly but they will help you so much with the first few steps.
Sometimes I put them on during the day for an hour or so.

The Vioxx will help with the pain and inflammation your
having. Icing will also help you. Massage feels wonderful.

Good luck to you..and go to the doctor. It's not all in your
head. Stephanie S.

Steve P on 6/13/00 at 15:45 (021762)

Theresa --- I would go to a Dr. & find out for sure. If it is PF, you will probably be put on an anti-inflammatory (like vioxx) & may be offered PT for a few weeks.....if so take it. My physical thereapist helped me start a home program of stretches, massage, icing, a night splint, etc., which I am still following. I went to PT for 4 weeks & then dropped it in favor of the home program only. But I had all my questions answered & I am continuing to improve.
Bottom line: get to a doctor & get under way with treatment! In my opinion, PF isn't something you should fiddle around with all by yourself.

john h on 6/13/00 at 17:48 (021765)

go to the doctor now and get a diagnosis.

Beverly on 6/13/00 at 19:15 (021773)

Go to the doctor... a pod or ortho guy. Be careful with stretches. I overdid mine and it sent me back. I think many of us who get PF get it because we are 'more is more' people... totally type A. Moderation is hard for many of us, but moderation and rest are very important.
Catching this early is good.

Beverly

Re: Update Re: I think this is my problem - please offer suggestions

Theresa R on 6/21/00 at 10:19 (022153)

Here's the update:

Tuesday: I worked from home to rest my feet, and based on info from this website, I changed my habit of sitting (with feet dangling or pointed). I'm sitting here with my feet flexed 90 degrees on one of these special feet thingees under my desk. I actually feel a tiny burning sensation in the surrounding muscles. But boy, Wed. when I woke up, what a difference. Heels still hurt to step on them, but there was this extra pain that was suddenly gone. I think a muscle pain I didn't know was there. But I'm now going to be very good about sitting feet on the ground or flexed.

Wednesday: I went to the Dr. He confirmed PF based on my complaints and history of recent upping of activity (just moved out of Mom's house and into my own - hence mowing lawn, keeping house, etc..). I thought it was strange that he never even looked at my feet. Anyway, he sent me for xrays and started me on Daypro (anti-inflamitory). Got my brother to mow the lawn.

Today (next Wed.): Daypro seems to be lessening heel pain, but not altogether. XRays came back with some evidence of calcium deposits. Got the referral for a podiatrist. Called them and got an appt. for July 6 (2 weeks away).

I'm feeling many things, but taking it all 'in stride' (no pun intended). Feeling a little good because it's not just in my head; feeling a little scared, because it's not gone; feeling a little hopeful that podiatrist will give me a full examination.

Thanks for everybody's posting their experiences & information, in the least it has helped me gauge what could/should happen. Any suggestions for what I should request/not request would be appreciated.

Stephanie S. on 6/13/00 at 14:41 (021759)

Theresa...sounds to me like the classic signs of PF.
I for one...am just like you. The resting for short
periods of time...blah blah...especially the morning
pain.

I'm glad you've caught this early on. Maybe it will not
be too difficult for you to heal. The earlier the better.

It took me 3 months to realize...'It's not all in my head'
and 'Nope...I'm not too young to have foot problems'.

I guess why I put off going to the doctor sooner is because..
like you said...the warming up a bit...I'd feel better...
and then later I'd rest and get back up and the pain would
come back full force. The mornings...I would try not to slam
into the dresser. It was horrible.

I have had the PF for one full yr. Congrads to me..this
month makes it official. My feet are not as bad as they
once were. Don't get me wrong...I still hobble about the
house...I'm not near as fast as I was...just ask my hubby
about the house cleaning. LOL

I first went to see an Ortho-Surgeon...who is wonderful..
and nice..but at the same time..he blew it off as it was
no big deal...here's some nightsplints , some Vioxx ( girl
ya gotta get ya some of that), and showed me how to stretch
10 min before bed and 10 min upon rising. The joke is that
we have 4 small children who are rising out of their beds
throughout the night. Staying in the nightsplints is very
difficult...and the stretching is too.( Before getting out
of bed). When the kids call...they expect you to come running.

Let me just say..you have found the best website out there.
Surf all around Scott's site....especially the PF book.
You will more than likely get better information here than
anywhere else. I know that was my case anyway. I've been
given better advice and suggestions here than at my doctors.

I do think it's best to go ahead and see a doctor. Either
a Ortho-Surgeon or Podiatrist. Ask around ...family and friends
...who they would suggest. At least get it confirmed and then
go from there. Get the nightsplints if you can. Their big and
ugly but they will help you so much with the first few steps.
Sometimes I put them on during the day for an hour or so.

The Vioxx will help with the pain and inflammation your
having. Icing will also help you. Massage feels wonderful.

Good luck to you..and go to the doctor. It's not all in your
head. Stephanie S.

Steve P on 6/13/00 at 15:45 (021762)

Theresa --- I would go to a Dr. & find out for sure. If it is PF, you will probably be put on an anti-inflammatory (like vioxx) & may be offered PT for a few weeks.....if so take it. My physical thereapist helped me start a home program of stretches, massage, icing, a night splint, etc., which I am still following. I went to PT for 4 weeks & then dropped it in favor of the home program only. But I had all my questions answered & I am continuing to improve.
Bottom line: get to a doctor & get under way with treatment! In my opinion, PF isn't something you should fiddle around with all by yourself.

john h on 6/13/00 at 17:48 (021765)

go to the doctor now and get a diagnosis.

Beverly on 6/13/00 at 19:15 (021773)

Go to the doctor... a pod or ortho guy. Be careful with stretches. I overdid mine and it sent me back. I think many of us who get PF get it because we are 'more is more' people... totally type A. Moderation is hard for many of us, but moderation and rest are very important.
Catching this early is good.

Beverly

Re: Update Re: I think this is my problem - please offer suggestions

Theresa R on 6/21/00 at 10:19 (022153)

Here's the update:

Tuesday: I worked from home to rest my feet, and based on info from this website, I changed my habit of sitting (with feet dangling or pointed). I'm sitting here with my feet flexed 90 degrees on one of these special feet thingees under my desk. I actually feel a tiny burning sensation in the surrounding muscles. But boy, Wed. when I woke up, what a difference. Heels still hurt to step on them, but there was this extra pain that was suddenly gone. I think a muscle pain I didn't know was there. But I'm now going to be very good about sitting feet on the ground or flexed.

Wednesday: I went to the Dr. He confirmed PF based on my complaints and history of recent upping of activity (just moved out of Mom's house and into my own - hence mowing lawn, keeping house, etc..). I thought it was strange that he never even looked at my feet. Anyway, he sent me for xrays and started me on Daypro (anti-inflamitory). Got my brother to mow the lawn.

Today (next Wed.): Daypro seems to be lessening heel pain, but not altogether. XRays came back with some evidence of calcium deposits. Got the referral for a podiatrist. Called them and got an appt. for July 6 (2 weeks away).

I'm feeling many things, but taking it all 'in stride' (no pun intended). Feeling a little good because it's not just in my head; feeling a little scared, because it's not gone; feeling a little hopeful that podiatrist will give me a full examination.

Thanks for everybody's posting their experiences & information, in the least it has helped me gauge what could/should happen. Any suggestions for what I should request/not request would be appreciated.