Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions and more questions about EMG and surgery

Posted by Foo Fighter on 6/13/00 at 15:00 (021761)

The POD thinks I have tarsal tunnel and PF.
Has anyone had an EMG done? Does it hurt? If one foot is suspected to have it...is it normal to have the other done to serve as a benchmark? How long did it take your pod to diagnos PF? It took mine about 5 months which seems like a long time.

Is it better to have an orthopedic surgeon or podatrist operate on your foot? I am planning to have a second opinion with an orthopod before I jump into the surgery.

Is it normal for PF symptoms to mask tarsal tunnel symptoms? For me, it delayed my diagnosis. The PF cleared up somewhat but it still hurt.

Thanks in advance for your help. I learn so much from reading on this board.

Re: Questions and more questions about EMG and surgery

john h on 6/13/00 at 17:47 (021764)

i have had an emg on booth feet and hand and it did not bother me. others say it hurts. POD or Orthopod it depends on the individual. there are good persons in both specialities. as dr z pointed out make sure the doctor has done at least 100 of the procedures (surgery). some of us have both PF and TTS. i think the PF type pain is much more clear than TTS pain but that is just an opinion.

wendyn on 6/13/00 at 23:06 (021785)

Hi Foo Fighter (cool name). I'm a regular on this board with TTS/PF and other foot related problems. It's late and I've been super busy so I don't have much time to post....BUT

Dr Z and I had an interesting debate on EMG a few weeks ago. Do a search at the top of the board on EMG or nerve conduction testing and you will find LOTS.

People who have TTS often have PF as well (not the other way round) same problems can cause both.

Please email me at the above(name in blue) and we can chat when time permits - I've run (so to speak) the entire course of PF/TTS treatment. Be extremely slow to consider TTS surgery - results are often not very good. There is no benefit to haste here. Do your homework and give it LOTS of time.

I developed TTS about 18 months ago, got progressively worse for about 9 months and then started a slow improvement.

Today I went to a friend's convocation (in my Birks of course!). Walked all over campus, to and from my car (walking fast enough to pass several people YIPEE). Barely even thought of my feet.

Also up to 9 minutes of moderate biking on recumbent bike.

Write when you have time.

tom on 6/14/00 at 02:26 (021799)

I just had surgery 6/5/2000 last monday for TTS I had the emg done and it did hurt some but it was expected.I have had 3 surgerys altogether in the last 8 months.I had a heel spur causing PF and it seemed to work, but i had other problems arise.I'm in a cast for the next 3 weeks then i will have to go to therapy.While doing the operation for TTS my doctor found vericose veins wrapped around my nerves as well and had to cut a nerve leading to my heel.

alan k on 6/14/00 at 07:43 (021810)

Please, please update us on your recovery!

thanks,

alan k

wendyn on 6/14/00 at 08:35 (021812)

Hi Tom - glad to hear it sounds like they found the source of your problems. A varicose vein(s) in the Tarsal Tunnel seems to be one of those causes that may be readily fixable. Did you have any visable varicose veins?

What type of doctor did your surgery?

john h on 6/15/00 at 18:55 (021885)

i had a tarsal tunnel release in august 99. the doctor said all he found was a large vericose vein. the surgery did not help.

john h on 6/13/00 at 17:47 (021764)

i have had an emg on booth feet and hand and it did not bother me. others say it hurts. POD or Orthopod it depends on the individual. there are good persons in both specialities. as dr z pointed out make sure the doctor has done at least 100 of the procedures (surgery). some of us have both PF and TTS. i think the PF type pain is much more clear than TTS pain but that is just an opinion.

wendyn on 6/13/00 at 23:06 (021785)

Hi Foo Fighter (cool name). I'm a regular on this board with TTS/PF and other foot related problems. It's late and I've been super busy so I don't have much time to post....BUT

Dr Z and I had an interesting debate on EMG a few weeks ago. Do a search at the top of the board on EMG or nerve conduction testing and you will find LOTS.

People who have TTS often have PF as well (not the other way round) same problems can cause both.

Please email me at the above(name in blue) and we can chat when time permits - I've run (so to speak) the entire course of PF/TTS treatment. Be extremely slow to consider TTS surgery - results are often not very good. There is no benefit to haste here. Do your homework and give it LOTS of time.

I developed TTS about 18 months ago, got progressively worse for about 9 months and then started a slow improvement.

Today I went to a friend's convocation (in my Birks of course!). Walked all over campus, to and from my car (walking fast enough to pass several people YIPEE). Barely even thought of my feet.

Also up to 9 minutes of moderate biking on recumbent bike.

Write when you have time.

tom on 6/14/00 at 02:26 (021799)

I just had surgery 6/5/2000 last monday for TTS I had the emg done and it did hurt some but it was expected.I have had 3 surgerys altogether in the last 8 months.I had a heel spur causing PF and it seemed to work, but i had other problems arise.I'm in a cast for the next 3 weeks then i will have to go to therapy.While doing the operation for TTS my doctor found vericose veins wrapped around my nerves as well and had to cut a nerve leading to my heel.

alan k on 6/14/00 at 07:43 (021810)

Please, please update us on your recovery!

thanks,

alan k

wendyn on 6/14/00 at 08:35 (021812)

Hi Tom - glad to hear it sounds like they found the source of your problems. A varicose vein(s) in the Tarsal Tunnel seems to be one of those causes that may be readily fixable. Did you have any visable varicose veins?

What type of doctor did your surgery?

john h on 6/15/00 at 18:55 (021885)

i had a tarsal tunnel release in august 99. the doctor said all he found was a large vericose vein. the surgery did not help.