Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MY First Good Day

Posted by Beverly on 6/13/00 at 19:38 (021777)

I'm getting a bit of hope. This was my first good day. I got out a bit, and had only minimal pain. Granted, I didn't go far, just across the parking lot of my doctor's large complex and up to his office, and a few 'pull right up to the door' errands. But that is far more than I could do before. I still wouldn't attempt the grocery store or linger anywhere for long on my feet.

My internist and massage therapist say I've really sent my upperbody backwards from those few days on crutches. (old injury) I don't know if I'm more mad at the old pod for putting me on them, given that neither foot was good, or if I am more mad at myself for going along with it,knowing my upper body history.

So, I am back to two weeks of PT on my neck/shoulder. I do love the electric stem. Strange, no one ever offered that for my feet. It does wonders for my neck. Probably need more PT than two weeks, but you know how insurance is. My massage therapist said I had a Lexation (spelling?) that was out of alignment in my neck. In plain English, this means a bone had shifted. He's a genius when it comes to massage. When I went in there, I could barely turn my neck without great pain. Now, I only have minimal pain. But he says it will take awhile to work out all of it. He has advanced training in all sorts of stuff.

I just want to be back at the health club having fun. I live right down the street from it, and everytime I see people walking in the door, I wish that were me. Yeah, I can swim, but I'm not a swimmer. I like the machines and the track. But I will be patient. I'm a little better for the first time in almost two weeks from that hideous relapse, and I know I need to keep taking it easy. I keep having to turn down invitations from friends to go do fun things that I know I can't do now. That too is a bummer. In the summer, we hangout at the T-Head alot (for the landlocked, this is the pier along the ocean... chocked with entertainment). But there is almost no where/few places to sit. I hope when I'm better, they still remember to ask me out.

Can't wait to take that Birks trip to the Big City on Thursday. I think I will start with the Arizona with a strap. Nancy's suggestion about being assertive and pushy to get a good salesperson is right. I could do that better on assertiveness if alone, but I will have my friend with me. But I will ask who has worked there the longest and had the most experience with Birks. I never mind trying on 20 pairs of shoes.

I'm also going to get some quality water shoes for the pool since that is the only form of exercise currently available to me. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for all your support. There have been days lately I think I would have lost my mind without you.

The tingling feeling is subsiding. That is also encouraging.

Beverly

Re: MY First Good Day

Kim B. on 6/13/00 at 19:49 (021780)

Beverly, would the gang at the T-Head think you're strange if you showed up with a folding chair? Who knows, you might start a new trend!

Regards, Kim B.

SuzanneK on 6/13/00 at 23:29 (021789)

Hi Beverly. Glad you had a better day. I don't post much, but read faithfully and have been following your saga. My first Birks were the Milanos, the Arizonas with a strap. Once I got used to them I got a pair of Arizonas - they are so much easier to slip on when I get up out of be or from lounging in the recliner - do lots of that! Hope your shopping trip goes well.

Rosie A on 6/14/00 at 07:18 (021807)

I get the electrical stimulation on my feet and it does seem to help. You might ask your PT person about that. Good luck and hope every day gets better.

Rosie

Steve P on 6/14/00 at 16:01 (021834)

I also had electric stim on my feet as part of standard PT (didn't have to ask for it.)

Kim B. on 6/13/00 at 19:49 (021780)

Beverly, would the gang at the T-Head think you're strange if you showed up with a folding chair? Who knows, you might start a new trend!

Regards, Kim B.

SuzanneK on 6/13/00 at 23:29 (021789)

Hi Beverly. Glad you had a better day. I don't post much, but read faithfully and have been following your saga. My first Birks were the Milanos, the Arizonas with a strap. Once I got used to them I got a pair of Arizonas - they are so much easier to slip on when I get up out of be or from lounging in the recliner - do lots of that! Hope your shopping trip goes well.

Rosie A on 6/14/00 at 07:18 (021807)

I get the electrical stimulation on my feet and it does seem to help. You might ask your PT person about that. Good luck and hope every day gets better.

Rosie

Steve P on 6/14/00 at 16:01 (021834)

I also had electric stim on my feet as part of standard PT (didn't have to ask for it.)