Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel pain extending to ankle.

Posted by JWR on 6/13/00 at 21:54 (021781)

Over a period of a couple years, the bottom of my left heel would occasionally have a bit pain, but it ususally disappeared in a day or two. For the past couple months, the pain has come and stayed.
It's not a steady pain, but is there if I press on the inner side of my left heel or at if I stand with my weight on that spot. But, as I said, it's not a pain that is steady, more annoying at times. In the past couple weeks, the inner side of my left ankle is also sore at times. Yesterday, when putting my shoes on, one shoe hit against my left ankle and I thought I'd been hit with a small hammer. If I press on the tip of the large ankle bone, it hurts.
My doctor retired and just last week I found a new doctor and when he took my family history, etc., I mentioned my heel & ankle and he just said not to worry. He didn't even look.
Can the pain for PF extend up to the ankle? My ankle pain is on the sme side as the heel pain.

Re: Heel pain extending to ankle.

DKS on 6/13/00 at 22:33 (021783)

JWR,

I have heel pain from a spur for 9 months now. I get pain all the way up the side of my ankle and leg when I'm doing lots of walking. I'm still experimenting with taping and am buying different kinds of shoes to see what helps. The orthodics the doctors got for me was sheer hell. I can't wear them the pain is 10 times worst. My friend told me about a shoe called Mephistos. You can find them on the net. I'm going to get a pair of those and see if it helps. I have 3 kids I have to run after. It's been rough going, doctors don't seem to have a handle on this. But i have pain up my ankle and the side of my leg when I try to walk long distances due to the spur.
DKS

wendyn on 6/13/00 at 23:09 (021787)

Please do a search here on TTS or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. It's not very common but it can cause pain in the location you mention. Check out the info to see if it matches what's happening to you. You can also do a search on my name if you want to read the last several months documented history on my TTS (how boring! - but may be helpful).

If a doctor poo-poo's your symptoms and won't even look at your foot, I'd take this as a strong hint that he'd/she'd rather be out on the golf course than taking care of you. Get another opinion soon.

alan k on 6/14/00 at 07:37 (021809)

This kind of poo-pooing is exactly what got me into trouble. I always see websites about chronic pf and tts that mention 'not seeing a doctor in the early stages.' The medical sites should also list as a cause, 'or not seeing a doctor who gives a poop.'

Tarsal tunnel syndrome seems to me to be poorly understood in the medical community, but you should still seek out as much info as possible, and then be wary of anyone who offers 'sure' solutions, like one pod who told me surgery is %99 sucessful, then changed it to %70 the next time when I told him I did some reading on it.

TTS can be caused by many things, one of which is trauma, even quite incidental trauma like the little thing you described. However, I am not sure if the ankle bone itself should hurt from tts. You need to get that checked for stress fracture and other things. Pain to the inside of the ankle, on the other hand, could be tts or other things.
In short, you need a serious diagnostic regimen including bone scans, x-rays, blood tests, and hopefully also ultrasound and MRI. Be aggressive about getting the most tests you can, and start conservative treatments right away.

I can tell you that my tts which onset gradually, has subsided considerably through rest and rehabilitation, and it is not necessarily such a bad thing. However, you may have other problems, who knows from here.

good luck with your tests!

alan k

Re: To Alan

wendyn on 6/14/00 at 08:45 (021813)

Glad to hear you are doing well also Alan. You've fully recovered from pounding the pavement in Chicago? What kind of activity can you do now and what's your pain level like?

I must say that my last 9 months of recovery has followed a definate step pattern. Things stay the same for a while, suddenly improve to a point, stay the same for a while etc. I seem to have recently gone up (down?) another step.

I had a sudden reduction in pain and increase in ability around my vacation time (beginning of April). In the last week things seem to have changed again. My walking is faster, and unless I've been on my feet way too long (shopping still is hard) I rarely even notice them. I don't limp much and my back feels pretty good too. Hmmmm.

Had acupuncture last week, I've increased my B12 to 100 mcg a day up from 50 mcg a day (remember mine was low to begin with). I don't know for sure what's making the difference but I'm hoping that it means I'm headed for the best summer in four years. The first two summers I'm thinking about were mostly ruined by acute cases of PF, and then last year this TTS that completely debilitated me.

Wow - if I have had this much improvement, then there is hope for EVERYONE. Just wanted to share that with any of you who are thinking that there is no way you will ever get better.

I'm even up to 9 minutes of biking (only increasing about 2 minutes at a time to minimize chance of re-injury) and hoping to be out biking the trails by July or August.

You have to keep trying everything and try to be patient.

Hang in.

alan on 6/14/00 at 14:09 (021829)

I think acupuncture may have helped me too, but that was awhile back and I don't remember and can't make it out there.

What's helped me the most is exercises and massage. The thing with exercises was hard at first because things that help me get better now made things seem worse in the beginning. I just patiently crept up on it, like your 2 minutes of biking increase etc. I can bike now pretty much as much as I want. I did have that Chicago set-back, but now I am at a better point than before Chicago. It was a three weeker, I'ld say. I also have a little set back in my pf right now: wearing those massage sandals in the shower, I took them off for a second and stood barefoot and had a little pf twinge which is vaguely there in the morning after rising, etc. If I wasn't so expereinced I would hardly notice it, but in a way it has been very satisfying because it was my first sure and clear sign of pf. Kind of like: so that's what pf is! This little sliver of a twinge is still here so I guess its a set back but not bad. I can also see that the extreme sensitivity I had in the initial stages last year was definitely pf also. I don't know when the tts started-- I think in my case they were there together and still are, but probably its mostly tts now.

I was just getting ready to go back to that astanga yoga I told you about, but with this little sliver I will wait on that. I can still bike and walk around, as much as I want if it is only short distances, but not like standing around a mall for hours. I guess I could do that but I wouldn't enjoy it so I don't.

I feel pretty hopeful and though I wouldn't, and realistically can't, entertain the notion of being completely cured, I think there is still a way I can go in the next few years. I'm taking it slow but steady.

I should take my vitamins, since there definitely is a systemic factor in my condition, as you know from me and my wife getting it at the same time after a flu. My wife, who is doing even better than me, just reported a little twingy pain on the tip of her toe. I'm watching to see what comes of it, but I don't want to worry her with what you and I know.

nice to hear you are doing better too,

alan k

Rosie A on 6/14/00 at 15:04 (021830)

It is possible that you don't have PF but TTS. I started out with PF in both feet but about two months ago if I squeezed on my inside of my heel, right where the heel starts, I wanted to cry it hurt so bad. Same this with tapping on the area right by your inner ankle bone. It sends little shock waves down to your foot. The nerve runs right through that area and when that area of the foot (nerve canal?) get inflamed the nerve gets irritated. I pronate really badly so most of weight gets thrown to the inside. Do you wear orthodic? Was your dr. a pod. or a sports med dr? Also try alternative heat and ice on the area by your ankle. It helps me some.

Rosie

DKS on 6/13/00 at 22:33 (021783)

JWR,

I have heel pain from a spur for 9 months now. I get pain all the way up the side of my ankle and leg when I'm doing lots of walking. I'm still experimenting with taping and am buying different kinds of shoes to see what helps. The orthodics the doctors got for me was sheer hell. I can't wear them the pain is 10 times worst. My friend told me about a shoe called Mephistos. You can find them on the net. I'm going to get a pair of those and see if it helps. I have 3 kids I have to run after. It's been rough going, doctors don't seem to have a handle on this. But i have pain up my ankle and the side of my leg when I try to walk long distances due to the spur.
DKS

wendyn on 6/13/00 at 23:09 (021787)

Please do a search here on TTS or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. It's not very common but it can cause pain in the location you mention. Check out the info to see if it matches what's happening to you. You can also do a search on my name if you want to read the last several months documented history on my TTS (how boring! - but may be helpful).

If a doctor poo-poo's your symptoms and won't even look at your foot, I'd take this as a strong hint that he'd/she'd rather be out on the golf course than taking care of you. Get another opinion soon.

alan k on 6/14/00 at 07:37 (021809)

This kind of poo-pooing is exactly what got me into trouble. I always see websites about chronic pf and tts that mention 'not seeing a doctor in the early stages.' The medical sites should also list as a cause, 'or not seeing a doctor who gives a poop.'

Tarsal tunnel syndrome seems to me to be poorly understood in the medical community, but you should still seek out as much info as possible, and then be wary of anyone who offers 'sure' solutions, like one pod who told me surgery is %99 sucessful, then changed it to %70 the next time when I told him I did some reading on it.

TTS can be caused by many things, one of which is trauma, even quite incidental trauma like the little thing you described. However, I am not sure if the ankle bone itself should hurt from tts. You need to get that checked for stress fracture and other things. Pain to the inside of the ankle, on the other hand, could be tts or other things.
In short, you need a serious diagnostic regimen including bone scans, x-rays, blood tests, and hopefully also ultrasound and MRI. Be aggressive about getting the most tests you can, and start conservative treatments right away.

I can tell you that my tts which onset gradually, has subsided considerably through rest and rehabilitation, and it is not necessarily such a bad thing. However, you may have other problems, who knows from here.

good luck with your tests!

alan k

wendyn on 6/14/00 at 08:45 (021813)

Glad to hear you are doing well also Alan. You've fully recovered from pounding the pavement in Chicago? What kind of activity can you do now and what's your pain level like?

I must say that my last 9 months of recovery has followed a definate step pattern. Things stay the same for a while, suddenly improve to a point, stay the same for a while etc. I seem to have recently gone up (down?) another step.

I had a sudden reduction in pain and increase in ability around my vacation time (beginning of April). In the last week things seem to have changed again. My walking is faster, and unless I've been on my feet way too long (shopping still is hard) I rarely even notice them. I don't limp much and my back feels pretty good too. Hmmmm.

Had acupuncture last week, I've increased my B12 to 100 mcg a day up from 50 mcg a day (remember mine was low to begin with). I don't know for sure what's making the difference but I'm hoping that it means I'm headed for the best summer in four years. The first two summers I'm thinking about were mostly ruined by acute cases of PF, and then last year this TTS that completely debilitated me.

Wow - if I have had this much improvement, then there is hope for EVERYONE. Just wanted to share that with any of you who are thinking that there is no way you will ever get better.

I'm even up to 9 minutes of biking (only increasing about 2 minutes at a time to minimize chance of re-injury) and hoping to be out biking the trails by July or August.

You have to keep trying everything and try to be patient.

Hang in.

alan on 6/14/00 at 14:09 (021829)

I think acupuncture may have helped me too, but that was awhile back and I don't remember and can't make it out there.

What's helped me the most is exercises and massage. The thing with exercises was hard at first because things that help me get better now made things seem worse in the beginning. I just patiently crept up on it, like your 2 minutes of biking increase etc. I can bike now pretty much as much as I want. I did have that Chicago set-back, but now I am at a better point than before Chicago. It was a three weeker, I'ld say. I also have a little set back in my pf right now: wearing those massage sandals in the shower, I took them off for a second and stood barefoot and had a little pf twinge which is vaguely there in the morning after rising, etc. If I wasn't so expereinced I would hardly notice it, but in a way it has been very satisfying because it was my first sure and clear sign of pf. Kind of like: so that's what pf is! This little sliver of a twinge is still here so I guess its a set back but not bad. I can also see that the extreme sensitivity I had in the initial stages last year was definitely pf also. I don't know when the tts started-- I think in my case they were there together and still are, but probably its mostly tts now.

I was just getting ready to go back to that astanga yoga I told you about, but with this little sliver I will wait on that. I can still bike and walk around, as much as I want if it is only short distances, but not like standing around a mall for hours. I guess I could do that but I wouldn't enjoy it so I don't.

I feel pretty hopeful and though I wouldn't, and realistically can't, entertain the notion of being completely cured, I think there is still a way I can go in the next few years. I'm taking it slow but steady.

I should take my vitamins, since there definitely is a systemic factor in my condition, as you know from me and my wife getting it at the same time after a flu. My wife, who is doing even better than me, just reported a little twingy pain on the tip of her toe. I'm watching to see what comes of it, but I don't want to worry her with what you and I know.

nice to hear you are doing better too,

alan k

Rosie A on 6/14/00 at 15:04 (021830)

It is possible that you don't have PF but TTS. I started out with PF in both feet but about two months ago if I squeezed on my inside of my heel, right where the heel starts, I wanted to cry it hurt so bad. Same this with tapping on the area right by your inner ankle bone. It sends little shock waves down to your foot. The nerve runs right through that area and when that area of the foot (nerve canal?) get inflamed the nerve gets irritated. I pronate really badly so most of weight gets thrown to the inside. Do you wear orthodic? Was your dr. a pod. or a sports med dr? Also try alternative heat and ice on the area by your ankle. It helps me some.

Rosie