Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

update - made a decision

Posted by SuzanneK on 6/13/00 at 23:36 (021791)

I haven't posted much, but have been reading faithfully. I rented a wheelchair mid-April to use in the hallways at school, trying to save the wear and tear on my feet. I cut down on my 'up-on-my-feet' time considerably, yet felt absolutely no relief. So my dilemma was: wait all summer, resting and doing virtually nothing and hope my foot is better by the time school starts OR go ahead and have the surgery with the summer to recover before school starts. Seeing as I have had almost NO improvement since I started with this PF thing last fall AND I think I would cut the offending member off myself if I had to go through another school year in the pain I was experiencing, I decided to have the surgery. On June 1, my pod took out the heel spur and did a 2/3 pf release. I could put weight on the foot (with crutches) withing 4 days. I can now hobble around without TOO much pain, not using crutches. I go back tomorrow to have the stitches out and will be able to wear normal shoes (the surgical shoe just DOES NOT go with my outfits LOL). I'll take a couple pairs, as my arch is tender and I don't know if I can wear my birks just yet. All in all, I think I made the right choice for me. TIme will tell.

Re: Vacation - have fun, Judy S.!!! eom

Bob G. on 6/14/00 at 00:00 (021792)

:)

Re: update - made a decision

Bob G. on 6/14/00 at 00:03 (021793)

Sorry about the other Post; it was meant for Judy. Wish you a good Summer Vacation, also, Suzanne. You made an educated guess; I hope it works out for the best. BG

Pat M on 6/14/00 at 01:02 (021794)

Suzanne,
I know what you were feeling. I thought that this summer rest would help. Guess what? I am getting more sore everyday. So far I have had THE shot and am now wearing night splints. Tonight marks the two weeks that my POD said to wear them. Tomorrow I am calling him to find out what else he plans to do. If he can do nothing else, (or will do nothing else) then I am going back to my GP to ask for an ortho. I tell you, and you can understand, I don't look forward to dealing with my second grade darlings with this again. It seems unless things change, it will be even worse when school starts again.
Good luck to you and I hope your decision works out for you.
Pat M.

Re: Sleepless in NightSplints

Bob G. on 6/14/00 at 01:23 (021796)

Hi Pat,

I am impressed that you can wear the NightSplint for two weeks and no mention of sleeplessness. I am hoping to get back to wearing my NightSpint very soon, as soon as my knee heals. I want to get back to walking and jogging asap!

I've never had a SHOT and (hope) never will. Rest, Cure, Recovery. The Rest part takes time (months), the cure takes gradual and easy stretching/exercise. Recovery takes more of the same. Just my opinion.

Good luck! BG

caryne on 6/14/00 at 08:34 (021811)

Hi from your fellow teacher at Converse. I'm glad i had my surgery done in March so I could enjoy this summer a bit after my awful summer last year.Curious why you didn't have a cast...my pod. put me in a cast for two weeks following surgery. I'm doing a lot better but had a slight setback last week...tried to wear orthodics in shoe that had the surgery not a good move.Back to wearing just a Dr. Sshools sport insert and my birks. Where did you find your Birks I had to pay big for them at Dillards. Good luck

Pat M. on 6/14/00 at 09:51 (021821)

Hey Bob,
I know from reading around here, that I am very lucky to be able to sleep. (That's what they make Sleepinol for.) It really doesn't bother me too much at night, though. It's the mornings that are hard.

What's really strange is that when I asked my doctor about rest he said, 'continue all normal activities because resting can lead to weight gain and more problems.' I know from listening to you guys that I don't think that that is true. It helps around here, though, for the doctor to say it. Then I can say...I have to rest because the doctor said to. Otherwise, everyone thinks that I should just keep on going. You know, everyone, has problems of some sort and they don't understand that this particular one needs REST.

I really appreciate your opinion. All of you. Pat

SuzanneK on 6/14/00 at 10:47 (021822)

My pod put me in what he calls a 'soft cast' when I went for my follow-up appt. 4 days after surgery, It is a bunch of layers of cast padding and ace bandages. I got my first pair of birks at Whole Earth in the Quarry Market. Then ordered a second pair from Scott's German website. The first pair was mucho bucks. The second was what I consider a good price.

Nancy S. on 6/14/00 at 10:47 (021823)

Pat, I think you need a new doctor. Yours sounds way too much like mine! First of all, I didn't even get a nurse to fit my night splint; I think she was a high-schooler who was earning spending money to buy cute pocketbooks and barrettes. She fit me way too loose, and what did I know?
And The Doctor: I never heard a word about rest. Never heard a word about icing, stretching, massage. In answer to the few questions I could think of, I got these responses:
Ignorant Nancy: 'Are the shoes I'm wearing ok for this problem?'
Doctor, glancing at them way over in the corner: 'Look fine.'
Ignorant Nancy: 'My PCP mentioned physical therapy. Should I have that?'
Doctor: 'Might make it worse.'
Nancy: 'I can barely walk anymore. Is it ok to use a cane to keep some of the weight off my bad foot?'
Doctor: 'Might change your gait.' (As if limping wasn't changing my gait like all get out!)
Nancy: 'I'm not getting any exercise AT ALL. I'm exhausted, in pain all the time, and feel terrible.'
Doctor: 'Hmm. See you in a month.'
Pat, I continued to get worse (and there were many tears) for months despite the ill-fitting night splint -- because, I now know, I was not getting nearly enough rest, was doing nothing such as icing and the whole bit, was wearing poor shoes -- basically because I had a doctor who didn't give a %&!@#*^# hoot. And so it has taken months not only to manage the problem and start getting better but also to try to repair the damage I was doing while under the 'care' of this guy with a diploma and not much else.
I do recommend you try to find someone better, who is more knowledgeable and isn't a lazyass.
--Nancy

Re: Sleepless in NightSplints -- P.S. to Pat

Nancy S. on 6/14/00 at 18:53 (021842)

Pat, I forgot to say that it does seem hard for most non-PF folks to understand what PF does to your life and what you need to do to get well.
My husband has been really supportive most of the time, but he didn't REALLY get it until he read Scott's PF Book -- and he read the whole thing. (I just can't get him to read the message board, though -- he can get through about 2 messages and he's had enough. Can you believe that? And I find it so fascinating! Oh well.)
Anyway, if you can get those who need to understand to read just the parts of Scott's book that are important to you, if not the whole thing, it might help.
--Nancy

Re: Suzanne: Quarry Market, San Antonio?

Beverly on 6/14/00 at 19:55 (021844)

Hi Suzanne!

Was that Birks store at Whole Earth at the Quarry Market in San Antonio? That's where I'm going. Did you find a salesperson who was especially knowledgeable? Is there anywhere else in SA with a really good selection of Birks and Mephesto's?
I'm driving in from farther south... getting a friend to drive me.
I'd love to know what your experience was there before I go (going this week).
Good luck in that cast!
Beverly

Pat M. on 6/14/00 at 20:15 (021846)

Good Advice, Nancy. I never thought about having someone read about it. That is the closest some will come to the experience. (Thank goodness).
Pat

SuzanneK on 6/14/00 at 20:38 (021847)

Yes, Beverly, it was. I looked in the phone book for Birkenstocks and found them. The sales person who helped me was good - not the best, but good. Unfortunately, I don't remember her name. She wears irks too and was good about making sure I had the right fit - we tried on several styles, sizes, and widths until I got one that really worked. I ended up with Milanos (must be a coincidence that my favorite cookie is Pepperidge Farm double chocolate Milanos!!)I wear a 9 to 9.5 in regular shoes, took a 40 regular width in Birks. Good luck!

Bob G. on 6/15/00 at 00:50 (021851)

Well, one must not curtail all activities, but one must adjust so not to injure the pf.

Don't give up, Pat. Hang in there and keep trying.

I am without heel pain, but knees have been a bother. Very little knee pain now, so I may try to wear my nightsplint tonight. I am getting by with the FootFlex and gently stretching often. I always wear my arch supports.

Hope to be back to brisk walking within a few days and jogging within a month. As far as weight gain goes, watch what you eat. I have cut back to bran with soy milk, veggies, and plenty of beer (j/k). Cheers! BG

caryne on 6/15/00 at 07:52 (021854)

to Beverly: Dillards carry Birks I bought mine at the Dillards at Rolling Oaks Mall in San Antonio were $90.00 there.

john h on 6/15/00 at 09:58 (021858)

when it hurts enough you will rest.

Pat M. on 6/15/00 at 17:14 (021876)

Trust me. It hurts enough. I, however, do keep on going, because that is what POD said to do. Guess what? I bet no one on this board knows that not all doctors know everything!!!!!! I'm beginning to do my own thing. REST.
Pat

Pat M. on 6/15/00 at 17:22 (021878)

Hello Bob,
The very first thing I did when this all began was to start my low carb. low sugar diet. Lost 27 lbs. This with not a whole lot of exercise. Just the normal daily routine. So I suppose resting without gaining too much weight is possible. I have never been super active. I have always been somewhat of a bookworm. It's just the normal everyday activities that seem to get me now.
Lots of luck with your recovery. Pat

Re: Vacation - have fun, Judy S.!!! eom

Bob G. on 6/14/00 at 00:00 (021792)

:)

Bob G. on 6/14/00 at 00:03 (021793)

Sorry about the other Post; it was meant for Judy. Wish you a good Summer Vacation, also, Suzanne. You made an educated guess; I hope it works out for the best. BG

Pat M on 6/14/00 at 01:02 (021794)

Suzanne,
I know what you were feeling. I thought that this summer rest would help. Guess what? I am getting more sore everyday. So far I have had THE shot and am now wearing night splints. Tonight marks the two weeks that my POD said to wear them. Tomorrow I am calling him to find out what else he plans to do. If he can do nothing else, (or will do nothing else) then I am going back to my GP to ask for an ortho. I tell you, and you can understand, I don't look forward to dealing with my second grade darlings with this again. It seems unless things change, it will be even worse when school starts again.
Good luck to you and I hope your decision works out for you.
Pat M.

Bob G. on 6/14/00 at 01:23 (021796)

Hi Pat,

I am impressed that you can wear the NightSplint for two weeks and no mention of sleeplessness. I am hoping to get back to wearing my NightSpint very soon, as soon as my knee heals. I want to get back to walking and jogging asap!

I've never had a SHOT and (hope) never will. Rest, Cure, Recovery. The Rest part takes time (months), the cure takes gradual and easy stretching/exercise. Recovery takes more of the same. Just my opinion.

Good luck! BG

caryne on 6/14/00 at 08:34 (021811)

Hi from your fellow teacher at Converse. I'm glad i had my surgery done in March so I could enjoy this summer a bit after my awful summer last year.Curious why you didn't have a cast...my pod. put me in a cast for two weeks following surgery. I'm doing a lot better but had a slight setback last week...tried to wear orthodics in shoe that had the surgery not a good move.Back to wearing just a Dr. Sshools sport insert and my birks. Where did you find your Birks I had to pay big for them at Dillards. Good luck

Pat M. on 6/14/00 at 09:51 (021821)

Hey Bob,
I know from reading around here, that I am very lucky to be able to sleep. (That's what they make Sleepinol for.) It really doesn't bother me too much at night, though. It's the mornings that are hard.

What's really strange is that when I asked my doctor about rest he said, 'continue all normal activities because resting can lead to weight gain and more problems.' I know from listening to you guys that I don't think that that is true. It helps around here, though, for the doctor to say it. Then I can say...I have to rest because the doctor said to. Otherwise, everyone thinks that I should just keep on going. You know, everyone, has problems of some sort and they don't understand that this particular one needs REST.

I really appreciate your opinion. All of you. Pat

SuzanneK on 6/14/00 at 10:47 (021822)

My pod put me in what he calls a 'soft cast' when I went for my follow-up appt. 4 days after surgery, It is a bunch of layers of cast padding and ace bandages. I got my first pair of birks at Whole Earth in the Quarry Market. Then ordered a second pair from Scott's German website. The first pair was mucho bucks. The second was what I consider a good price.

Nancy S. on 6/14/00 at 10:47 (021823)

Pat, I think you need a new doctor. Yours sounds way too much like mine! First of all, I didn't even get a nurse to fit my night splint; I think she was a high-schooler who was earning spending money to buy cute pocketbooks and barrettes. She fit me way too loose, and what did I know?
And The Doctor: I never heard a word about rest. Never heard a word about icing, stretching, massage. In answer to the few questions I could think of, I got these responses:
Ignorant Nancy: 'Are the shoes I'm wearing ok for this problem?'
Doctor, glancing at them way over in the corner: 'Look fine.'
Ignorant Nancy: 'My PCP mentioned physical therapy. Should I have that?'
Doctor: 'Might make it worse.'
Nancy: 'I can barely walk anymore. Is it ok to use a cane to keep some of the weight off my bad foot?'
Doctor: 'Might change your gait.' (As if limping wasn't changing my gait like all get out!)
Nancy: 'I'm not getting any exercise AT ALL. I'm exhausted, in pain all the time, and feel terrible.'
Doctor: 'Hmm. See you in a month.'
Pat, I continued to get worse (and there were many tears) for months despite the ill-fitting night splint -- because, I now know, I was not getting nearly enough rest, was doing nothing such as icing and the whole bit, was wearing poor shoes -- basically because I had a doctor who didn't give a %&!@#*^# hoot. And so it has taken months not only to manage the problem and start getting better but also to try to repair the damage I was doing while under the 'care' of this guy with a diploma and not much else.
I do recommend you try to find someone better, who is more knowledgeable and isn't a lazyass.
--Nancy

Nancy S. on 6/14/00 at 18:53 (021842)

Pat, I forgot to say that it does seem hard for most non-PF folks to understand what PF does to your life and what you need to do to get well.
My husband has been really supportive most of the time, but he didn't REALLY get it until he read Scott's PF Book -- and he read the whole thing. (I just can't get him to read the message board, though -- he can get through about 2 messages and he's had enough. Can you believe that? And I find it so fascinating! Oh well.)
Anyway, if you can get those who need to understand to read just the parts of Scott's book that are important to you, if not the whole thing, it might help.
--Nancy

Beverly on 6/14/00 at 19:55 (021844)

Hi Suzanne!

Was that Birks store at Whole Earth at the Quarry Market in San Antonio? That's where I'm going. Did you find a salesperson who was especially knowledgeable? Is there anywhere else in SA with a really good selection of Birks and Mephesto's?
I'm driving in from farther south... getting a friend to drive me.
I'd love to know what your experience was there before I go (going this week).
Good luck in that cast!
Beverly

Pat M. on 6/14/00 at 20:15 (021846)

Good Advice, Nancy. I never thought about having someone read about it. That is the closest some will come to the experience. (Thank goodness).
Pat

SuzanneK on 6/14/00 at 20:38 (021847)

Yes, Beverly, it was. I looked in the phone book for Birkenstocks and found them. The sales person who helped me was good - not the best, but good. Unfortunately, I don't remember her name. She wears irks too and was good about making sure I had the right fit - we tried on several styles, sizes, and widths until I got one that really worked. I ended up with Milanos (must be a coincidence that my favorite cookie is Pepperidge Farm double chocolate Milanos!!)I wear a 9 to 9.5 in regular shoes, took a 40 regular width in Birks. Good luck!

Bob G. on 6/15/00 at 00:50 (021851)

Well, one must not curtail all activities, but one must adjust so not to injure the pf.

Don't give up, Pat. Hang in there and keep trying.

I am without heel pain, but knees have been a bother. Very little knee pain now, so I may try to wear my nightsplint tonight. I am getting by with the FootFlex and gently stretching often. I always wear my arch supports.

Hope to be back to brisk walking within a few days and jogging within a month. As far as weight gain goes, watch what you eat. I have cut back to bran with soy milk, veggies, and plenty of beer (j/k). Cheers! BG

caryne on 6/15/00 at 07:52 (021854)

to Beverly: Dillards carry Birks I bought mine at the Dillards at Rolling Oaks Mall in San Antonio were $90.00 there.

john h on 6/15/00 at 09:58 (021858)

when it hurts enough you will rest.

Pat M. on 6/15/00 at 17:14 (021876)

Trust me. It hurts enough. I, however, do keep on going, because that is what POD said to do. Guess what? I bet no one on this board knows that not all doctors know everything!!!!!! I'm beginning to do my own thing. REST.
Pat

Pat M. on 6/15/00 at 17:22 (021878)

Hello Bob,
The very first thing I did when this all began was to start my low carb. low sugar diet. Lost 27 lbs. This with not a whole lot of exercise. Just the normal daily routine. So I suppose resting without gaining too much weight is possible. I have never been super active. I have always been somewhat of a bookworm. It's just the normal everyday activities that seem to get me now.
Lots of luck with your recovery. Pat