Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Here is a question...how many people have heel/bone spurs?

Posted by Sweetfeet on 6/14/00 at 09:04 (021816)

I asked a friend of mine this a.m., who has sufferred from PF, if he had a spur and his answer was 'the beginning of one, not really'. I have full blown spur that his easily viewed on my x rays. Do you think spurs can cause pain? It really feels like the pain centers right ON MY SPUR. I can actually feel my spur when I massage the pain. I guess the question is--can you have PF WITHOUT a heelspur?

Re: Here is a question...how many people have heel/bone spurs?

Stephanie S. on 6/14/00 at 11:07 (021824)

Yes...you can have PF without a spur. Read up a bit
on Scott's PF book. I supposedly do not have any spurs.
Although I'd swear to you that 'I' and the 'Technician'
saw them on the x-rays....the doc said 'no'. If I'm
thinking right..alot of people have 'bone spurs' and
don't even know it ...because they do not feel any pain.

Stephanie S.

sue g. on 6/14/00 at 12:08 (021826)

I have a bone spur on one foot but not the other. Really do not feel too much pain from it.

Beverly on 6/14/00 at 13:53 (021827)

I have PF... bad case, but to my knowledge no heel spur. At least the x-ray did not show one. I've not yet had an MRI which is of course better imaging.
Beverly

wendyn on 6/14/00 at 14:04 (021828)

My bone scan showed much more of a bone spur forming on my left foot - which, incidentally, is the foot that hurts the least.

Rick R on 6/14/00 at 15:59 (021833)

The common perception is that the spur itself is not painful. I had PF pain long before the spurs were evident on x-rays. I am of the opinion that although the spur may not be painful, it may tear at the plantar facia which of course becomes painful. In other words, the spur initially is a byproduct of the inflamation but may be a contributor to inflamation once it grows to a certian size. I have been dealing with PF since about 1983. I had surgery on one side, including spur remova,l and still have a nasty spur on the other side.

Good luck

Rick

Lori E. on 6/14/00 at 16:15 (021835)

I too have a spur on my left foot, which also hurts the least. My understanding is that a spur can develop from the pulling on the fascia. But it's really my right foot that hurts the most, it can jump back and forth, probably from favoring the foot that hurts most at the time. My friends have told me that they have been diagnosed with heel spurs, but have experience little or no pain, and the problem just faded away,(lucky dogs!)

Jill P on 6/14/00 at 16:41 (021837)

I have a spur on the right foot which is the foot that hurts WORST i my case. I figured that it had something to do with (either cause or effect) that my right foot hurt the worst but from reading the other posts, it sounds like it may just be chance.

Nancy S. on 6/14/00 at 17:35 (021838)

I have a spur on my left foot, which is my PF foot, although my right foot sometimes gets a bit painful from all the extra responsibility it's had during the last year.
My spur on x-ray was very small -- as opposed to my PF pain, which was very very big.
--Nancy

Kim B. on 6/14/00 at 17:43 (021839)

Hi Sweetie, (sorry, I couldn't resist... just this once.)

I have heel spurs in both my feet. The one on the left is larger than the other, but they are both relatively small. Likewise, I have PF in both feet, the left being more painful than the other. In addition, it was the left foot that started hurting first.

My doc said that the spurs will probably never go away on their own, but the area around the spur eventually callouses and acommodates the spurs being there. Just though I'd throw that in while you're learning all about this aspect of the big PF picture.

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 6/15/00 at 09:57 (021857)

bi-laterial pf with no bone spurs on either foot.

trish k on 6/16/00 at 12:27 (021919)

I am a 46 yr. old runner who has just had a heel spur removed three weeks ago. I would be grateful for any info from people with a similar history as to how they recovered their fitness and the time spans they experienced before starting to run painfree.
thanks

Stephanie S. on 6/14/00 at 11:07 (021824)

Yes...you can have PF without a spur. Read up a bit
on Scott's PF book. I supposedly do not have any spurs.
Although I'd swear to you that 'I' and the 'Technician'
saw them on the x-rays....the doc said 'no'. If I'm
thinking right..alot of people have 'bone spurs' and
don't even know it ...because they do not feel any pain.

Stephanie S.

sue g. on 6/14/00 at 12:08 (021826)

I have a bone spur on one foot but not the other. Really do not feel too much pain from it.

Beverly on 6/14/00 at 13:53 (021827)

I have PF... bad case, but to my knowledge no heel spur. At least the x-ray did not show one. I've not yet had an MRI which is of course better imaging.
Beverly

wendyn on 6/14/00 at 14:04 (021828)

My bone scan showed much more of a bone spur forming on my left foot - which, incidentally, is the foot that hurts the least.

Rick R on 6/14/00 at 15:59 (021833)

The common perception is that the spur itself is not painful. I had PF pain long before the spurs were evident on x-rays. I am of the opinion that although the spur may not be painful, it may tear at the plantar facia which of course becomes painful. In other words, the spur initially is a byproduct of the inflamation but may be a contributor to inflamation once it grows to a certian size. I have been dealing with PF since about 1983. I had surgery on one side, including spur remova,l and still have a nasty spur on the other side.

Good luck

Rick

Lori E. on 6/14/00 at 16:15 (021835)

I too have a spur on my left foot, which also hurts the least. My understanding is that a spur can develop from the pulling on the fascia. But it's really my right foot that hurts the most, it can jump back and forth, probably from favoring the foot that hurts most at the time. My friends have told me that they have been diagnosed with heel spurs, but have experience little or no pain, and the problem just faded away,(lucky dogs!)

Jill P on 6/14/00 at 16:41 (021837)

I have a spur on the right foot which is the foot that hurts WORST i my case. I figured that it had something to do with (either cause or effect) that my right foot hurt the worst but from reading the other posts, it sounds like it may just be chance.

Nancy S. on 6/14/00 at 17:35 (021838)

I have a spur on my left foot, which is my PF foot, although my right foot sometimes gets a bit painful from all the extra responsibility it's had during the last year.
My spur on x-ray was very small -- as opposed to my PF pain, which was very very big.
--Nancy

Kim B. on 6/14/00 at 17:43 (021839)

Hi Sweetie, (sorry, I couldn't resist... just this once.)

I have heel spurs in both my feet. The one on the left is larger than the other, but they are both relatively small. Likewise, I have PF in both feet, the left being more painful than the other. In addition, it was the left foot that started hurting first.

My doc said that the spurs will probably never go away on their own, but the area around the spur eventually callouses and acommodates the spurs being there. Just though I'd throw that in while you're learning all about this aspect of the big PF picture.

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 6/15/00 at 09:57 (021857)

bi-laterial pf with no bone spurs on either foot.

trish k on 6/16/00 at 12:27 (021919)

I am a 46 yr. old runner who has just had a heel spur removed three weeks ago. I would be grateful for any info from people with a similar history as to how they recovered their fitness and the time spans they experienced before starting to run painfree.
thanks