Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4th Sonorex treatment today - David I have a question

Posted by Astrid Bierworth on 6/14/00 at 18:19 (021841)

I had my 4th treatment today and have another next Wed. In 4 weeks after that should tell the tale. The physio said that most people with this problem (pf) are non-runners. Most get the 3 treatments, get about a 90 - 95% cure and are happy with that. The cost is a factor, he thinks. It's the runners like me who want 100% cure. He said one of the first people he treated with the Sonorex is a runner and he is back at the running with no pain.

David, I have a question. One of the annoying things with the treatment is that the shock waves exit through the bones that stick out on my ankle (you know the ones - they are used for finding furniture in the dark). The pain from that distracts from the pain on the pf site. This is a bad thing, because the pain in the pf site is what helps direct the shcok waves to the right spot. If all I can feel is my sore ankle, how can I tell him where to aim the machine?

Also, he said after the treatment that the pf site must be very small, as a small move and he loses it. Is this a good sign? When I press on my heel during the day to find the pain, it doesn't feel like a really small site!

Astrid.

posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: Sonocur Sonorex

Re: 4th Sonorex treatment today - David I have a question

David L on 6/15/00 at 11:42 (021861)

I know exactly what you mean about the pain exiting through the ankle. I felt exactly the same thing when I had my PF treated with the Sonocur. This is common and it should resolve. There should be no problem distinguishing between the spot where your PF is, and where your ankle pain is because they are in 2 totally different locations. If it is getting more and more difficult to find the most tender spot with the machine, that means there is vast improvement. The residual pain that you feel is probably more from the muscles getting proper use again.
As for the size of the area, the 'footprint' of the shockwave is only 5 square millimeters...very small. That is why the device is so specific in finding that point. If you treat the most tender spot, that should relieve all the surrounding pain.
Best Wishes,
David

Astrid Bierworth on 6/15/00 at 13:40 (021865)

Thanks for your reply. If there is a vast improvement, why do I still feel tenderness after I have been up for a while? And why do I limp around for the rest of the day after a 10 minute run?

Sorry to be such a complainer, but at this point I am a very frustrated runner who has not run in 3 months. I am starting to feel a lot of negative overall effects on my health from not running. I have not embarked on any other actiivity in a big way because I keep feeling it will be another few weeks and I will be running again. These few weeks are starting to stretch out into months!

Astrid.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/15/00 at 21:09 (021892)

I undertand your love of running. Could you first try biking, walking , and or swimming to keep the rest of your body muscles in shape. Running is great for the mind, heart, and lung terrible on the feet. So you have to start with walking first, or biking . I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it seems that running is down the road.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword:

john h on 6/16/00 at 19:33 (021941)

like dr z says and being a 'former runner' stop running until you are completely healed or you will end up like me. unable to run for 3 years because i insisted on running through the pain.

David L on 6/15/00 at 11:42 (021861)

I know exactly what you mean about the pain exiting through the ankle. I felt exactly the same thing when I had my PF treated with the Sonocur. This is common and it should resolve. There should be no problem distinguishing between the spot where your PF is, and where your ankle pain is because they are in 2 totally different locations. If it is getting more and more difficult to find the most tender spot with the machine, that means there is vast improvement. The residual pain that you feel is probably more from the muscles getting proper use again.
As for the size of the area, the 'footprint' of the shockwave is only 5 square millimeters...very small. That is why the device is so specific in finding that point. If you treat the most tender spot, that should relieve all the surrounding pain.
Best Wishes,
David

Astrid Bierworth on 6/15/00 at 13:40 (021865)

Thanks for your reply. If there is a vast improvement, why do I still feel tenderness after I have been up for a while? And why do I limp around for the rest of the day after a 10 minute run?

Sorry to be such a complainer, but at this point I am a very frustrated runner who has not run in 3 months. I am starting to feel a lot of negative overall effects on my health from not running. I have not embarked on any other actiivity in a big way because I keep feeling it will be another few weeks and I will be running again. These few weeks are starting to stretch out into months!

Astrid.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/15/00 at 21:09 (021892)

I undertand your love of running. Could you first try biking, walking , and or swimming to keep the rest of your body muscles in shape. Running is great for the mind, heart, and lung terrible on the feet. So you have to start with walking first, or biking . I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it seems that running is down the road.

john h on 6/16/00 at 19:33 (021941)

like dr z says and being a 'former runner' stop running until you are completely healed or you will end up like me. unable to run for 3 years because i insisted on running through the pain.