Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Very extensive aquatic Therapy/Fitness Catalog & water athletic shoes

Posted by Beverly on 6/14/00 at 22:26 (021849)

Hi guys!

I found a really impressive water workout catalog geared towards fitness and rehab.
It's called: 'Kiefer Aquatic Therapy & Fitness 2000'
Phone number: 1-800-323-4071
http://www.kiefer.com

They have more stuff than I could possibly list. I ordered an 'aqua sizer' belt that holds you upright in deep water for exercise and water jogging. I also ordered some of their water noodles and a water noodle video and a book on water exercises for rehab.
Most of the prices were good. For instance, the water belt was $29.95. They had several varieties. Lots of other stuff, weights, shoes, gadgets of all kinds for water exercise, books, videos, ....

One thing I noticed were their shoes. They had the usual pool shoes/aqua shoes, but they also have athletic shoes for the water that look like running shoes... like regular athletic shoes, but made for the water. One line was 'AVIA 660 Aqua Trainer for $64.95. The other was the 'Aqua Sport by RYKA for $69.95. I was impressed by how much support they have... just like regular running shoes but made to dry fast. I didn't get them since I've already spent so much, and I'm off to shop for Birks. Instead, I ordered their 'Win Aqua Pool Shoe' for $24.95. From the picture, it looks like it has more support than the average aquatic shoe. Anyone tried this shoe? Now I'm wondering if I should have skipped the books, video, and noodles and just gone with the water running style shoes, but I am so bored, and this looked like a safe way to add some spice/variety to water workouts.

Have any of you tried these products... especially these water running style shoes?
Beverly

Re: PS to Kim & water Tai Chi/Ai Chi

Beverly on 6/14/00 at 22:53 (021850)

Oh, I forgot. Kim, that catalog had a book called 'Water Movement Exercise Program For Total Body Conditioning' that listed FM related exercises. The catalog also had some water gadgets reccommended for FM.
I have no idea if they are helpful, but I thought I would pass it on.

To all: One thing that also interested me is their waterbook on Tai Chi for the water and some other oriental mind/body exercise I have never heard of called Ai Chi. Anyone know about that? From the description, it sounds like Ai Chi was made for the water as opposed to taking regular exercise like Tai Chi and conforming it to the water.

You can probably tell I am feeling a little better since I am even
thinking about water exercise. I'm getting very, very bored.
Today, I went to lunch with friends at Luby's (caferteria), made it through the line ( a big accomplishment), and ran 2 short errands. My foot started to hurt towards the end and so I came home. I'm being very careful not to push it too far. This feels like a big accomplishment compared to two weeks ago. I still would not dare try a big store.

I begged a little upperbody PT out of my doctor for the misery the crutches put me in. I have great sympathy for anyone on crutches.
My massage therapist said the crutches got me somewhat out of alignment in my neck, but he is so good, he was able to put me back into alignment, and now I'm getting some ultrasound/electric stem for two weeks to my neck/shoulder. Thus, I feel a bit better there too. To any pod's or PT people out there, before you put a patient on crutches, it might be good to ask what their upperbody history is.

Beverly

Re: Thanks for the Information

Sue B. on 6/15/00 at 13:32 (021864)

Thanks, Beverly, for that information. I found it very helpful--I had no idea where to get an aqua jogger and have been wanting one.

Pauline on 6/15/00 at 20:48 (021888)

I purchased an aqua jogging belt some time ago. I use it to run and
walk in deep water. I find it great. It was kind of an expensive investment. Before I had PF I used it for a bad knee, but it came
in handy when I developed the PF too.

Re: PS to Kim & water Tai Chi/Ai Chi

Beverly on 6/14/00 at 22:53 (021850)

Oh, I forgot. Kim, that catalog had a book called 'Water Movement Exercise Program For Total Body Conditioning' that listed FM related exercises. The catalog also had some water gadgets reccommended for FM.
I have no idea if they are helpful, but I thought I would pass it on.

To all: One thing that also interested me is their waterbook on Tai Chi for the water and some other oriental mind/body exercise I have never heard of called Ai Chi. Anyone know about that? From the description, it sounds like Ai Chi was made for the water as opposed to taking regular exercise like Tai Chi and conforming it to the water.

You can probably tell I am feeling a little better since I am even
thinking about water exercise. I'm getting very, very bored.
Today, I went to lunch with friends at Luby's (caferteria), made it through the line ( a big accomplishment), and ran 2 short errands. My foot started to hurt towards the end and so I came home. I'm being very careful not to push it too far. This feels like a big accomplishment compared to two weeks ago. I still would not dare try a big store.

I begged a little upperbody PT out of my doctor for the misery the crutches put me in. I have great sympathy for anyone on crutches.
My massage therapist said the crutches got me somewhat out of alignment in my neck, but he is so good, he was able to put me back into alignment, and now I'm getting some ultrasound/electric stem for two weeks to my neck/shoulder. Thus, I feel a bit better there too. To any pod's or PT people out there, before you put a patient on crutches, it might be good to ask what their upperbody history is.

Beverly

Sue B. on 6/15/00 at 13:32 (021864)

Thanks, Beverly, for that information. I found it very helpful--I had no idea where to get an aqua jogger and have been wanting one.

Pauline on 6/15/00 at 20:48 (021888)

I purchased an aqua jogging belt some time ago. I use it to run and
walk in deep water. I find it great. It was kind of an expensive investment. Before I had PF I used it for a bad knee, but it came
in handy when I developed the PF too.