Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

USA Today article

Posted by BillC on 6/15/00 at 11:42 (021862)

Check out the USA Today article on Foot Problems.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/health/hotline/pod2000/podindex.htm

Re: USA Today article

Nancy M on 6/15/00 at 20:28 (021886)

I read the article and out of the 10 most common foot problems I have 5 of them.

Nancy M on 6/15/00 at 20:36 (021887)

First of all sorry about that last message - I hit the wrong key before I was finished. Well anyway as I was saying......I read the article and out of the 10 most common foot prolems I have 5.
Heel spurs: know I have a very small one left foot - saw in x-ray
Ingrown toenails: have had several
Neuromas: 3 - all have been removed
Plantar fascitis: both feet have had EPF surgery on both
Stress fracture: 2 - first one March 1998 second one right now

Nancy M in AZ

Nancy S. on 6/16/00 at 05:06 (021903)

Hi, Nancy M. I read the USA article too. You were doing well before the stress fracture, is that right? I remember you posted 3 or 4 weeks ago about the fracture. Is it healing, and what does your doctor do, or have you do, for it? Do they know why this happened to you? (I don't know anything about stress fracture, but it gets mentioned now and then here.) I was sorry to hear you'd had it, because I remember you had happy results from the EPF. How are you doing in the 'hope' category? --Nancy S.

Re: USA Today article-Nancy

Pat M. on 6/16/00 at 08:54 (021908)

Nancy, Good Morning.
I have ANOTHER question for you. Dr. Z mentioned that since I have pain everytime I put my heel down that I should have the doctor check for a stress fracture. Can you explain how this felt? How did your doc know to check for it? OOPS that's two questions. I was just wondering if that is something else that I need to check out.
Thanks
Pat

Re: USA Today article-Pat

Nancy M on 6/16/00 at 20:20 (021943)

Hi Pat. Let me first try to explain where my stress fracture is. From the way I understand it it's in front of my ankle and the pain is on the top/side of my foot. It's in a bone that starts with a 'c' (can't remember the name of it) and it's a soft bone that takes quite a while to heal.

So now here is my story on my latest stress fracture. I started having pain in my left foot in December 1999. Had x-rays taken and nothing showed up (no bone movement or fracture) so doctor (Pod) thought maybe an inflammation of the nerve, so we did anit-inflammatories they didn't work, did a shot in February and the pain wasn't completely gone, but was tolerable for about 2 weeks so tried another shot that did not help at all. Pain would change from day to day. Some days just enough to let me know it was there and other days it hurt so bad well you know that feeling. Finally did a bone scan the middle of April and that showed a stress fracture. I was put in a hard cast on crutches non-weight bearing on April 27th for two weeks. Since the hard cast has been off I've been in a soft cast with my boot and the first two week it was still non-weight bearing and crutches. About two weeks ago yesterday we took the soft cast off and put on an ace bandage and still the boot. Well within 3 hours my foot was hurting just like before we figured out what was wrong, so it was back to the doctor the next day and had the soft cast put back on. Within and hour I had no pain. As of my visit to the doctor this past Wednesday I'm in another fresh soft cast till June 28th. I'm also getting a bone density test done on the 28th so maybe we'll find out if anything is going on that way.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to email me with any questions at (email removed)

Nancy M in AZ

Nancy M on 6/16/00 at 20:26 (021944)

Hi Nancy S. yes, I was doing great before the stress fracture. No problems from any of the surgeries (EPF left and right foot and 3 neuromas - 2 left foot, 1 right foot) I have had. Why or how the stress fracture happened I have no idea. I am having a bone density test done on June 28th. Please read my message to Pat as to how and what I'm doing for the stress fracture.

Nancy M in AZ

Pat M. on 6/17/00 at 08:49 (021951)

Thanks Nancy,
I was just wondering. Since Dr. Z. mentioned it, it has given me something to think about.
Pat M.

Nancy M on 6/15/00 at 20:28 (021886)

I read the article and out of the 10 most common foot problems I have 5 of them.

Nancy M on 6/15/00 at 20:36 (021887)

First of all sorry about that last message - I hit the wrong key before I was finished. Well anyway as I was saying......I read the article and out of the 10 most common foot prolems I have 5.
Heel spurs: know I have a very small one left foot - saw in x-ray
Ingrown toenails: have had several
Neuromas: 3 - all have been removed
Plantar fascitis: both feet have had EPF surgery on both
Stress fracture: 2 - first one March 1998 second one right now

Nancy M in AZ

Nancy S. on 6/16/00 at 05:06 (021903)

Hi, Nancy M. I read the USA article too. You were doing well before the stress fracture, is that right? I remember you posted 3 or 4 weeks ago about the fracture. Is it healing, and what does your doctor do, or have you do, for it? Do they know why this happened to you? (I don't know anything about stress fracture, but it gets mentioned now and then here.) I was sorry to hear you'd had it, because I remember you had happy results from the EPF. How are you doing in the 'hope' category? --Nancy S.

Re: USA Today article-Nancy

Pat M. on 6/16/00 at 08:54 (021908)

Nancy, Good Morning.
I have ANOTHER question for you. Dr. Z mentioned that since I have pain everytime I put my heel down that I should have the doctor check for a stress fracture. Can you explain how this felt? How did your doc know to check for it? OOPS that's two questions. I was just wondering if that is something else that I need to check out.
Thanks
Pat

Nancy M on 6/16/00 at 20:20 (021943)

Hi Pat. Let me first try to explain where my stress fracture is. From the way I understand it it's in front of my ankle and the pain is on the top/side of my foot. It's in a bone that starts with a 'c' (can't remember the name of it) and it's a soft bone that takes quite a while to heal.

So now here is my story on my latest stress fracture. I started having pain in my left foot in December 1999. Had x-rays taken and nothing showed up (no bone movement or fracture) so doctor (Pod) thought maybe an inflammation of the nerve, so we did anit-inflammatories they didn't work, did a shot in February and the pain wasn't completely gone, but was tolerable for about 2 weeks so tried another shot that did not help at all. Pain would change from day to day. Some days just enough to let me know it was there and other days it hurt so bad well you know that feeling. Finally did a bone scan the middle of April and that showed a stress fracture. I was put in a hard cast on crutches non-weight bearing on April 27th for two weeks. Since the hard cast has been off I've been in a soft cast with my boot and the first two week it was still non-weight bearing and crutches. About two weeks ago yesterday we took the soft cast off and put on an ace bandage and still the boot. Well within 3 hours my foot was hurting just like before we figured out what was wrong, so it was back to the doctor the next day and had the soft cast put back on. Within and hour I had no pain. As of my visit to the doctor this past Wednesday I'm in another fresh soft cast till June 28th. I'm also getting a bone density test done on the 28th so maybe we'll find out if anything is going on that way.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to email me with any questions at (email removed)

Nancy M in AZ

Nancy M on 6/16/00 at 20:26 (021944)

Hi Nancy S. yes, I was doing great before the stress fracture. No problems from any of the surgeries (EPF left and right foot and 3 neuromas - 2 left foot, 1 right foot) I have had. Why or how the stress fracture happened I have no idea. I am having a bone density test done on June 28th. Please read my message to Pat as to how and what I'm doing for the stress fracture.

Nancy M in AZ

Pat M. on 6/17/00 at 08:49 (021951)

Thanks Nancy,
I was just wondering. Since Dr. Z. mentioned it, it has given me something to think about.
Pat M.