Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot pain could be a symptom (WARNING) of other conditions.

Posted by Mike W on 6/15/00 at 15:12 (021870)

The following are just my thoughts and are not intended to scare or offend anyone.

I am a big advocate of self care options for dealing with PF and other related foot and leg conditions, however I would like to offer some information on why I believe everyone with foot pain should consult and get several opinions from both Podiatrists and GP's.

I think it is possible that for some people, foot pain could be a symptom or a warning of other conditions. These conditions tend to go at weak body areas like the feet because they often do not get good circulation and the repetitive strain they must endure.

Osteoporosis - 'A small foot fracture, especially if it does not involve an injury, may be the first symptom of osteoporsis. Bone scans of 21 people who suffered small foot fractures found that 9 had osteoporosis and 10 were losing bone at a rapid rate, which meant they were on their way to developing osteoporisis, said Dr. Rodney L. Tomczak of Ohio State University.

The possibility of idetifying osteoporosis in it's earliest stages should give patients and doctors hope, since many current diagnoses aren't made until after a hip is broken.' (from Knight Ridder Newspapers)

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) - ME or post viral flu syndrome has been called 'yuppie flu' because it seems to affect so many high powered young people with stressful jobs. This is not totally accurate because all sorts of people have it.

The only thing sufferers have in common is that the condition develops after a viral infection of some sort ( flu or food poisoning). The main symtom is musclar fatigue but others are; loss of concentration and memory, mental confusion, lethargy, insomnia, impaired balance, sight, and hearing.

I hope this information is helpful to board readers.

Regards,

Mike Wilmot Natural Health Practioner, Principal Personal Foot Trainers, Email (email removed)

Re: Foot pain could be a symptom (WARNING) of other conditions.

Cheryl/Boston on 6/15/00 at 17:30 (021879)

Thanks for the information Mike I do not find your information offensive at all it is educational and and we should be grateful you pass it on to us Thanks......Cheryl

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/15/00 at 21:03 (021890)

Good information. !!!!

Re: AMEN

wendyn on 6/15/00 at 22:25 (021896)

Thank you Mike.

Doctors can be really frustrating - but self-diagnosis by internet is really dangerous. Along with what you've mentioned the following can masquarade as PF or TTS like symptoms in the early stages. Only a doctor can rule something more serious out.

Diabetes
Lupus
Rheumatoid Arthritis
MS
Neuropathy
Stress Fractures
RSD

Cheryl/Boston on 6/15/00 at 17:30 (021879)

Thanks for the information Mike I do not find your information offensive at all it is educational and and we should be grateful you pass it on to us Thanks......Cheryl

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/15/00 at 21:03 (021890)

Good information. !!!!

Re: AMEN

wendyn on 6/15/00 at 22:25 (021896)

Thank you Mike.

Doctors can be really frustrating - but self-diagnosis by internet is really dangerous. Along with what you've mentioned the following can masquarade as PF or TTS like symptoms in the early stages. Only a doctor can rule something more serious out.

Diabetes
Lupus
Rheumatoid Arthritis
MS
Neuropathy
Stress Fractures
RSD