Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Here is foot for thought.....Several people in my family (sister, grandfather,

Posted by Sweetfeet on 6/16/00 at 13:16 (021920)

and both brothers) have had foot problems. My grandad had horribly deformed feet. When I was growing up, they looked downright ugly. I used to think 'wow, he really did himself in'. I don't know the exact ailments, but I am sure they were all on the top ten list. My little brother had PF way before me. It has since left him, but he also quit his standing job. My sister has had surgery for bunions. I guess what I am thinking is THIS IS PROBABLY A GENETIC DEFECT. I know I was born with BAAAD feet. Now, they still look pretty, but damn it, they don't work! So, do you have others in your family with bad feet too?

Re: Here is foot for thought.....Several people in my family (sister, grandfather,

dks on 6/16/00 at 13:44 (021924)

Sweetfeet,

My mom has foot problems as well but I really think that feet are just under engineered, lol. Hope yours feel better soon.

Re: Here is foot for thought.....Several people in my family (sister, grandfather,

Beverly on 6/16/00 at 14:04 (021926)

Yep, my Dad has a bunion and arch problems that have been going on for years. He says his custom arch support mostly takes care of him, and he only wears Rockport walking shoes or a cowboy boot with a hole cut in it for his bunion.

It seems like my Mother was always going to the pod. The only major thing I remember her having was gout in her big toe.

I have no idea about the rest of the family, but you do have a point.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 6/16/00 at 14:22 (021928)

Hi there, Sweetfeet. Let's see. My mother and my sister both had PF of the 6-month variety, and it apparently bothered them so little that I never even knew they had it until I came down with it. They're long cleared up. (I then inherited all my sister's OTC inserts that hadn't worked for her, which didn't work for me either.) Their PF just went away in time -- they didn't find anything special that cured them.
My older brother has always had incredibly deformed feet, and for a while in his twenties he could barely walk and went to see several doctors (he must have hurt really bad, because I don't think he'd go to a doctor now if his life depended on it). One ortho surgeon took one look at him and said, 'Why, those feet don't even look human!' He has always been on his feet -- hiking, doing his surveying work, etc. His cure, as I think I've posted in the past, was to move to Moab, Utah. He tells me now that he still has foot pain in the winter -- says it feels like marbles under his feet -- but he just lives with it and won't go to any more doctors. He never got a real diagnosis.
My father and younger brother seem to have perfect feet. They are kind enough not to brag about that to me.
--Nancy

wendyn on 6/16/00 at 17:29 (021937)

Both grandmothers had arthritis/bunions/hammertoes
My mother has bunions and wears orthotics
My Dad has PF - pronated feet and wears orthotics
My older son pronates, has collapsing feet like me and wears orthotics
My younger son's feet pronate enough that he looks like he's walking on the inner part of his ankles. He has no pain yet though. But he's still small - other child and I started having trouble right around the teenage growth spurt.

Needless to say I bought mom and dad Birks for Xmas, the kids are next.

Re: anyone with previous pigeon toes?

Lori E. on 6/17/00 at 18:59 (021973)

My parents told me that when I was a baby I was born with horribly pigeon toed feet. The doctors fixed it with braces and special shoes(pre orthodics?) My feet turned out and it was fixed by the time I was really a walker, but I wonder if anyone else was treated for problem feet when they where a kid?
Now the ostiopath(? - fits orthodics)says that I walk on the outside edge of my feet. I was just wondering if there was a connection.

Beverly on 6/17/00 at 19:17 (021976)

Lori,
No pigeon toes, but when I was a todler, I wore orthopedic ankle high laceup oxfords. I had weak ankles and was always 'twisting' or spraining my ankle as a kid and as a young adult.
Lori, how old are you? I'm forty. If you are a babyboomer or older, remember that back then, doctors put young children in those orthopedic ankle high oxfords on a routine basis. I remember my mother telling me that she would not have dreamed of putting me in anything else until I passed 'todlerhood.' Her mother had her in the same kinds of shoes as a child. It has been years since I have seen a baby/young child in those kinds of shoes. I don't know if you're talking about the same kind of shoes, but personally I think they probably helped children's feet and ankles as they learned to walk. I wonder about today's kids who don't wear them and are in any old trendy thing. They may endup with even more feet problems than we have.

Beverly

Lori E. on 6/17/00 at 22:44 (021988)

Beverly,
I am going to be 32 at the end of the summer. So I guess I am a Gen-Xer. I don't remember the shoes. But what I do remember about shoes as a kid is I wore athletic shoes almost exclusively as a kid and a teenager, then I switched to boots when I went to college. I didn't really wear bad shoes until I got a job in offices going to visit my clients. But I also wonder about what they put on kids now. I never had any other problems with my feet since babyhood 'til this. I am now in my 10th month of this, waiting for my first pair of birks, and doing all my stretching and suppliments, as well as trying to loose weight.

dks on 6/16/00 at 13:44 (021924)

Sweetfeet,

My mom has foot problems as well but I really think that feet are just under engineered, lol. Hope yours feel better soon.

Beverly on 6/16/00 at 14:04 (021926)

Yep, my Dad has a bunion and arch problems that have been going on for years. He says his custom arch support mostly takes care of him, and he only wears Rockport walking shoes or a cowboy boot with a hole cut in it for his bunion.

It seems like my Mother was always going to the pod. The only major thing I remember her having was gout in her big toe.

I have no idea about the rest of the family, but you do have a point.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 6/16/00 at 14:22 (021928)

Hi there, Sweetfeet. Let's see. My mother and my sister both had PF of the 6-month variety, and it apparently bothered them so little that I never even knew they had it until I came down with it. They're long cleared up. (I then inherited all my sister's OTC inserts that hadn't worked for her, which didn't work for me either.) Their PF just went away in time -- they didn't find anything special that cured them.
My older brother has always had incredibly deformed feet, and for a while in his twenties he could barely walk and went to see several doctors (he must have hurt really bad, because I don't think he'd go to a doctor now if his life depended on it). One ortho surgeon took one look at him and said, 'Why, those feet don't even look human!' He has always been on his feet -- hiking, doing his surveying work, etc. His cure, as I think I've posted in the past, was to move to Moab, Utah. He tells me now that he still has foot pain in the winter -- says it feels like marbles under his feet -- but he just lives with it and won't go to any more doctors. He never got a real diagnosis.
My father and younger brother seem to have perfect feet. They are kind enough not to brag about that to me.
--Nancy

wendyn on 6/16/00 at 17:29 (021937)

Both grandmothers had arthritis/bunions/hammertoes
My mother has bunions and wears orthotics
My Dad has PF - pronated feet and wears orthotics
My older son pronates, has collapsing feet like me and wears orthotics
My younger son's feet pronate enough that he looks like he's walking on the inner part of his ankles. He has no pain yet though. But he's still small - other child and I started having trouble right around the teenage growth spurt.

Needless to say I bought mom and dad Birks for Xmas, the kids are next.

Lori E. on 6/17/00 at 18:59 (021973)

My parents told me that when I was a baby I was born with horribly pigeon toed feet. The doctors fixed it with braces and special shoes(pre orthodics?) My feet turned out and it was fixed by the time I was really a walker, but I wonder if anyone else was treated for problem feet when they where a kid?
Now the ostiopath(? - fits orthodics)says that I walk on the outside edge of my feet. I was just wondering if there was a connection.

Beverly on 6/17/00 at 19:17 (021976)

Lori,
No pigeon toes, but when I was a todler, I wore orthopedic ankle high laceup oxfords. I had weak ankles and was always 'twisting' or spraining my ankle as a kid and as a young adult.
Lori, how old are you? I'm forty. If you are a babyboomer or older, remember that back then, doctors put young children in those orthopedic ankle high oxfords on a routine basis. I remember my mother telling me that she would not have dreamed of putting me in anything else until I passed 'todlerhood.' Her mother had her in the same kinds of shoes as a child. It has been years since I have seen a baby/young child in those kinds of shoes. I don't know if you're talking about the same kind of shoes, but personally I think they probably helped children's feet and ankles as they learned to walk. I wonder about today's kids who don't wear them and are in any old trendy thing. They may endup with even more feet problems than we have.

Beverly

Lori E. on 6/17/00 at 22:44 (021988)

Beverly,
I am going to be 32 at the end of the summer. So I guess I am a Gen-Xer. I don't remember the shoes. But what I do remember about shoes as a kid is I wore athletic shoes almost exclusively as a kid and a teenager, then I switched to boots when I went to college. I didn't really wear bad shoes until I got a job in offices going to visit my clients. But I also wonder about what they put on kids now. I never had any other problems with my feet since babyhood 'til this. I am now in my 10th month of this, waiting for my first pair of birks, and doing all my stretching and suppliments, as well as trying to loose weight.