Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Vioxx

Posted by Pauline on 6/18/00 at 10:22 (021994)

All of you on this new drug, what is the dose that you are using? I know it is a once a day drug. Read that it also has a pain killer in it. Does it make you groggy or can you function just fine? Is it taken at night???

Re: Vioxx

john h on 6/18/00 at 10:53 (021997)

vioxx is a once a day drug. no drugged out feeling as it is an anti inflamatory with pain killing ability. probably not much better than many other NASIDS. It's popularity stems from the fact that is much less likely to cause stomach problems than other NASIDS. Many people with arthirtis have switched to Vioxx and Celebrex because of this.Expensive!

GinaC on 6/18/00 at 11:54 (021999)

I have used vioxx off and on for about 6 months with no problems at all. (however, I haven't had tummy or other problems with any NSAID's I've taken so far). My regular dose is 25 mg, which I take in the a.m. with food (although that is not necessary with Vioxx). When I have severe menstrual cramps I can up the dose to 50 mg for a few days, but was told that 50 mg. is too high a dose for everyday use. It is minimally better at dulling pain than other NSAID's, but not spectular for me. Have no 'druggy/drowsy' feeling with it at all. Hope it works for you and saves your stomach!

Beverly on 6/18/00 at 16:01 (022001)

I took Vioxx for months. Most of the time I was at 25 mg. but I also tried the lower dose of 12.5 mg. It did not bother my stomach at all and I have a sensitive stomach. I was never drowsy. Unfortunately, I saw no benefit from it for my PF. (But it did help my tennis elbow.) My new pod says he is getting cautious with Vioxx, because of a new study on cardiac contraindications. He currently has switched me to Feldane. He says he's had better luck with it for foot pain. Too soon to say if it's doing any good. Good luck with the Vioxx. I know many people are very happy with it.
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/18/00 at 17:53 (022006)

Vioxx at the 50mgs daily is for pain. NEVER take the 50mgs longer then five days. This doesn't apply to the 25mgs dosage. I took the 50 mgs last nite for foot pain . Still feeling and hearing the gas. My nurse assistant took the 50mgs for severe migraine and was able go into the room in twenty minute and listen to the sounds of the high pitch of the orbasone. It is really alot of noise from the doctor's end of the machine.

Melody on 6/19/00 at 16:29 (022062)

Can any one tell me what the active ingredient is in Voixx? Never heard of it here (UK) Just wondering if I could get anything similar.
Ta
Mel

Truffle on 6/20/00 at 12:29 (022111)

Hi Mel, Vioxx is now available in the UK, (on NHS). I've been taking the 25mg dose for about a month now, although no noticable change yet - I still keep hoping something will work. Your Dr should be able to prescribe, good luck, T.

john h on 6/18/00 at 10:53 (021997)

vioxx is a once a day drug. no drugged out feeling as it is an anti inflamatory with pain killing ability. probably not much better than many other NASIDS. It's popularity stems from the fact that is much less likely to cause stomach problems than other NASIDS. Many people with arthirtis have switched to Vioxx and Celebrex because of this.Expensive!

GinaC on 6/18/00 at 11:54 (021999)

I have used vioxx off and on for about 6 months with no problems at all. (however, I haven't had tummy or other problems with any NSAID's I've taken so far). My regular dose is 25 mg, which I take in the a.m. with food (although that is not necessary with Vioxx). When I have severe menstrual cramps I can up the dose to 50 mg for a few days, but was told that 50 mg. is too high a dose for everyday use. It is minimally better at dulling pain than other NSAID's, but not spectular for me. Have no 'druggy/drowsy' feeling with it at all. Hope it works for you and saves your stomach!

Beverly on 6/18/00 at 16:01 (022001)

I took Vioxx for months. Most of the time I was at 25 mg. but I also tried the lower dose of 12.5 mg. It did not bother my stomach at all and I have a sensitive stomach. I was never drowsy. Unfortunately, I saw no benefit from it for my PF. (But it did help my tennis elbow.) My new pod says he is getting cautious with Vioxx, because of a new study on cardiac contraindications. He currently has switched me to Feldane. He says he's had better luck with it for foot pain. Too soon to say if it's doing any good. Good luck with the Vioxx. I know many people are very happy with it.
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/18/00 at 17:53 (022006)

Vioxx at the 50mgs daily is for pain. NEVER take the 50mgs longer then five days. This doesn't apply to the 25mgs dosage. I took the 50 mgs last nite for foot pain . Still feeling and hearing the gas. My nurse assistant took the 50mgs for severe migraine and was able go into the room in twenty minute and listen to the sounds of the high pitch of the orbasone. It is really alot of noise from the doctor's end of the machine.

Melody on 6/19/00 at 16:29 (022062)

Can any one tell me what the active ingredient is in Voixx? Never heard of it here (UK) Just wondering if I could get anything similar.
Ta
Mel

Truffle on 6/20/00 at 12:29 (022111)

Hi Mel, Vioxx is now available in the UK, (on NHS). I've been taking the 25mg dose for about a month now, although no noticable change yet - I still keep hoping something will work. Your Dr should be able to prescribe, good luck, T.