Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery update (long)

Posted by BJC on 6/18/00 at 17:33 (022004)

This is my 5 month surgery update. Had EPF on Jan 18. While I am not 'cured', I am significantly better. When I get up in the morning I have some initial morning pain (but not PF pain), but this subsides after a few steps. With my Reeboks and custom orthotics I am able to tackle any activity I need to, including gardening on a steep hill (my passion!), shopping for hours, etc.) I could not 'stoop' when gardening before the surgery, but can now for hours at a time. I have found that what works sometimes will not work other times. I had a painful spell in May (when I tried to wear regular shoes while carrying a heavy bag), and had a cortisone shot in each foot - they worked wonders! Previously cortisone had not worked in the right foot at all. When I experience some pain, I can massage the foot for about 2-3 minutes, and the pain will go away. Sometimes just taking off the shoe and putting it back on again will help. Changing the innersoles of the shoes will work at times. I have not had good luck with icing (really tightens up my foot), but heat is good for my foot. Interestingly, not using heat after a long, hard day will not make me feel worse the next day. I do not take anti-inflammatories, ot any medications anymore. I only wear my ankle brace (Futura) when I am gardening on the hills. Overall I am better, and believe that I will see some additional progress for at least another month. I have read the Ossatron updates since February, and believe that I my progress is at least as good, and probably better than the 8 who went to Toronto. I have faith in my pod, and with my bunion problem, told him that we would probably grow old together! My bottom line is this: don't be afraid of surgery, cortisone shots, or any other modality that may help you. Look at the alternatives - do you want to remain in pain for the rest of your life? Only you can answer the tough questions. Good luck to you all!

Re: Surgery update (long)

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/18/00 at 17:49 (022005)

I am happy to see your improvement . This is only one different between ESWT and heel spur surgery, about 5% of people that have heel spur surgery will develop problems that will leave them in constant pain for the REST OF THEIR LIVES. The 5% is only a guess it could be
So try everything before surgery especially ESWT.

BJC on 6/19/00 at 12:13 (022054)

Right now, ESWT is not an option for most people. I would not be comfortable having a dr. perform this very new procedure that has a very short track record on me, and then have follow-up care from a distance. Until more is known about the procedure, and longer term results can be clinically documented, I would not consider it. I wrote my follow-up for those who may want to consider a wide variety of options. Reading this board can be a very fightening experience, and I wanted to give some realistic hope to others.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/18/00 at 17:49 (022005)

I am happy to see your improvement . This is only one different between ESWT and heel spur surgery, about 5% of people that have heel spur surgery will develop problems that will leave them in constant pain for the REST OF THEIR LIVES. The 5% is only a guess it could be
So try everything before surgery especially ESWT.

BJC on 6/19/00 at 12:13 (022054)

Right now, ESWT is not an option for most people. I would not be comfortable having a dr. perform this very new procedure that has a very short track record on me, and then have follow-up care from a distance. Until more is known about the procedure, and longer term results can be clinically documented, I would not consider it. I wrote my follow-up for those who may want to consider a wide variety of options. Reading this board can be a very fightening experience, and I wanted to give some realistic hope to others.