Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

........subject?....... same ol'

Posted by pookie on 6/18/00 at 20:41 (022016)

I am off for the summer from teaching, and my feet feel a lot better. I am afraid when I go back to teaching, my feet will throb again. I had a shot a week ago, and felt better but not fine. I am never fine, and I feel such frustration. My doc wants me to get custom orthodics. The problem is that my feet cannot stand closed shoes anymore. I bought a pair of Ocean Pacific sandals (the cheap version of Birkisntocks), and that's all I can wear; how emotionally exhausting can this get guys! I tell my doctor what's the use in spending $400 in custom orthodics if I cannot even wear running shoes anymore..... you guys tell me!!!

Mephisto has some sandals at $150.00 with a removable insole (which I need cause I have one leg 5mm shorter and use an insert for THAT...).

Help, this really gets me so down sometimes....

Pookie

Re: ........subject?....... same ol'

Angie on 6/18/00 at 21:14 (022022)

Pookie- Hi. All I can wear anymore is my Birks. With the Birks I have no pain at all. Then I switch to athletic (New Balance) shoes or dress shoes (with Orthotics) and I get some pain back again. The pain I do get back is nothing like it use to be -but I think that is because I do wear the Birks alot. Whenever I am home or out casually I wear my Birk sandals. Now I am considering getting Birks dress shoes. I do not know how they will work-if they will be as good as the sandals or not. All I know is that the Birk sandals have been a lifesaver to me! I can only hope that the Birk dress shoes will do the same. Has anyone else out there experienced only being able to wear Birks?????

dks3405 on 6/18/00 at 21:34 (022024)

Pookie,

I just got Birkenstocks and have been wearing them for about 4 days. I already feel that they are helping my PF problem. I am able to walk longer distances and the pain seems to be lessened. The first day I was uncomfortable but my feet are getting used to them. I can't wear orthodics, they make my PF hurt worse. Try the Birks, they may give you relief. Try to enjoy your summer!

Re: Angie and dks:

Pookie on 6/19/00 at 08:58 (022039)

Yes, I think I will spend the bucks in Birks cause the OP sandals are helping me more than anything so far. After the quote I was given of $400 for custom orthos, nothing seems expensive anymore.

My problem with Birks is that the insole are not removable and can't add the 5mm insert I have to wear. I'm wondering if a shoe repair place can add that height I need....

Thank you for your thoughts, it helps a lot to talk to people who have PF cause I don't feel so alone...

Pookie

Re: Angie and dks: -- To Pookie

Nancy S. on 6/19/00 at 09:06 (022042)

Pookie, some of the Birks do have removable footbeds. My Nebraskas, from the Tatami line, have removable footbeds -- though I don't take them out because they're just what I need. I've seen others at the Birkenstock German web site that also have removable footbeds. Have you looked there? Scott has a link to it on his products page. --Nancy

Re: Oh, that's awesome! thank you for the info (eom)

pookie on 6/19/00 at 12:16 (022055)

eom

Angie on 6/18/00 at 21:14 (022022)

Pookie- Hi. All I can wear anymore is my Birks. With the Birks I have no pain at all. Then I switch to athletic (New Balance) shoes or dress shoes (with Orthotics) and I get some pain back again. The pain I do get back is nothing like it use to be -but I think that is because I do wear the Birks alot. Whenever I am home or out casually I wear my Birk sandals. Now I am considering getting Birks dress shoes. I do not know how they will work-if they will be as good as the sandals or not. All I know is that the Birk sandals have been a lifesaver to me! I can only hope that the Birk dress shoes will do the same. Has anyone else out there experienced only being able to wear Birks?????

dks3405 on 6/18/00 at 21:34 (022024)

Pookie,

I just got Birkenstocks and have been wearing them for about 4 days. I already feel that they are helping my PF problem. I am able to walk longer distances and the pain seems to be lessened. The first day I was uncomfortable but my feet are getting used to them. I can't wear orthodics, they make my PF hurt worse. Try the Birks, they may give you relief. Try to enjoy your summer!

Re: Angie and dks:

Pookie on 6/19/00 at 08:58 (022039)

Yes, I think I will spend the bucks in Birks cause the OP sandals are helping me more than anything so far. After the quote I was given of $400 for custom orthos, nothing seems expensive anymore.

My problem with Birks is that the insole are not removable and can't add the 5mm insert I have to wear. I'm wondering if a shoe repair place can add that height I need....

Thank you for your thoughts, it helps a lot to talk to people who have PF cause I don't feel so alone...

Pookie

Re: Angie and dks: -- To Pookie

Nancy S. on 6/19/00 at 09:06 (022042)

Pookie, some of the Birks do have removable footbeds. My Nebraskas, from the Tatami line, have removable footbeds -- though I don't take them out because they're just what I need. I've seen others at the Birkenstock German web site that also have removable footbeds. Have you looked there? Scott has a link to it on his products page. --Nancy

Re: Oh, that's awesome! thank you for the info (eom)

pookie on 6/19/00 at 12:16 (022055)

eom