Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Z: How would a small bunion/bursa do in a Birk?

Posted by Beverly on 6/19/00 at 18:09 (022065)

Hi Dr. Z,

How would a small bursa/bunion do in an Arizona Birk? (It's definitely at least a bursa, but I fear it may be turning into a small bunion... They run in my family.) At first, I just thought it was a bad blister, but its too hard and bumpy to be a blister. (But it still has a little fluid in the red place; so I'm hoping it will go away with proper footwear.)

If you read my other posts, you know I had to stop wearing my Athletic shoes with inserts/orthodics, because they pushed me up too high and led to the bursa/possible bunion. Besides seeing the little hard red bump on my big toe joint, I can also see its outline in my socks... Actually, I can see the shape of it better with the socks on.)

I want to make sure this stays little and goes away before I get a new problem on top of the PF.

Other than trying to breakin the toebar on the left foot (same foot as small bursa/bunion and also slightly different width foot), the shoe feels like a real possible winner for my PF (along with the Dansko). I'm wearing the toe strap looser than most people so I'm not pressing too hard on the little bump. What has your experience been? Right now, any shoe I wear is irritating it; so I can't judge well. My common sense says a quality sandal would be better for a bunion than a running shoe. It is so trivial compared to my PF, but I want to make sure it stays trivial.
Wendy posted that her Birk made her suspected bunion calm down. I did a search and read of others who couldn't wear the Birk with a bunion.
I am so frustrated that all these inserts and orthodics did was give me a new problem. If you've read my other posts, I've ditched the running shoes and orthodics for the Birks and Danskos. These Euro sandals seem to give me better support than any of the orthodics.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Dr. Z: How would a small bunion/bursa do in a Birk?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/19/00 at 21:23 (022072)

I would place a gel bunion shield on the area. It is similar to the socks I sent you.

wendyn on 6/19/00 at 22:52 (022076)

I know you guys were discussing the fit of Birks a few days ago, but I didn't have time to throw in my two cents.

I don't have a suspected bunion - I have a for sure bunion. It was removed 8 years ago, but I also received a guarantee that it would return. It is growing back - but it's still not nearly as big or as painful as it was before I had it removed.

Because of the way I walk, my toe jams up into the joint with each step - as a result I have a 'dorsal' bunion. This is a bunion on TOP of my foot (pushes my toe down) instead of on the side. Because of the bunion/arthritis/scar tissue, I also have reduced mobility in that joint and that just aggravates my gait further because I can't push off properly. This, according to the half a dozen or so gait opinions I've had.

I also have a bunionette which is a baby bunion on the outside of the baby toe joint. (Sounds cuter than it is)

I wear my Birks very loose. The way I understood to wear them (can't remember where I got this from) was to undo the straps, and place your foot in the shoe. Then tighten the straps so that you can still slip a finger underneath along the top. The Birks should not really be strapped 'to' your feet.

When my bunion really flares up sometimes the strap bothers me - but it's miminal. Certainly no where near the pain and discomfort caused by tight sneakers.

I also noticed a bump on my right foot Birk when I first got it. I thought that maybe they were made wrong. What ever it was - my foot just got used to it, and now both are very comfy. I think it took about a week or so to adjust.

Beverly on 6/19/00 at 23:07 (022077)

Dear Dr. Z,

I can't wait to get my socks! Thanks so much. I'll let you know if they work. In fact, if they do, I'm sure I'll want to order a bunch of them.
(The mail to the boonies is slow.)

I have no idea what a gel bunion shield is. Do you sell them? Are they something special or something any good local medical supply store or orthodics store will sell?

When I see my pod next, I'll know if this is a bunion or just a bursa, but I have a bad feeling it is a small bunion, because of how hard it feels. Anyway, I just don't want to wear anything that will make it worse. I have enough limitations with the bottom of my feet.

When you catch a bunion early and avoid wearing tight shoes with narrow toe boxes, will it go away or at least not get any bigger? I keep hoping most of it is a bursa. I guess I was doomed to get one eventually. They run all through my father's side of the family.

My debate on the Birks is whether to wear them a bit loose so that my toe does not have pressure pushed against it or whether to wear the strap pulled more snug so it can't rub back and forth. At the moment I have on thick Thoro socks.

Thanks for all you do for us,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/19/00 at 21:23 (022072)

I would place a gel bunion shield on the area. It is similar to the socks I sent you.

wendyn on 6/19/00 at 22:52 (022076)

I know you guys were discussing the fit of Birks a few days ago, but I didn't have time to throw in my two cents.

I don't have a suspected bunion - I have a for sure bunion. It was removed 8 years ago, but I also received a guarantee that it would return. It is growing back - but it's still not nearly as big or as painful as it was before I had it removed.

Because of the way I walk, my toe jams up into the joint with each step - as a result I have a 'dorsal' bunion. This is a bunion on TOP of my foot (pushes my toe down) instead of on the side. Because of the bunion/arthritis/scar tissue, I also have reduced mobility in that joint and that just aggravates my gait further because I can't push off properly. This, according to the half a dozen or so gait opinions I've had.

I also have a bunionette which is a baby bunion on the outside of the baby toe joint. (Sounds cuter than it is)

I wear my Birks very loose. The way I understood to wear them (can't remember where I got this from) was to undo the straps, and place your foot in the shoe. Then tighten the straps so that you can still slip a finger underneath along the top. The Birks should not really be strapped 'to' your feet.

When my bunion really flares up sometimes the strap bothers me - but it's miminal. Certainly no where near the pain and discomfort caused by tight sneakers.

I also noticed a bump on my right foot Birk when I first got it. I thought that maybe they were made wrong. What ever it was - my foot just got used to it, and now both are very comfy. I think it took about a week or so to adjust.

Beverly on 6/19/00 at 23:07 (022077)

Dear Dr. Z,

I can't wait to get my socks! Thanks so much. I'll let you know if they work. In fact, if they do, I'm sure I'll want to order a bunch of them.
(The mail to the boonies is slow.)

I have no idea what a gel bunion shield is. Do you sell them? Are they something special or something any good local medical supply store or orthodics store will sell?

When I see my pod next, I'll know if this is a bunion or just a bursa, but I have a bad feeling it is a small bunion, because of how hard it feels. Anyway, I just don't want to wear anything that will make it worse. I have enough limitations with the bottom of my feet.

When you catch a bunion early and avoid wearing tight shoes with narrow toe boxes, will it go away or at least not get any bigger? I keep hoping most of it is a bursa. I guess I was doomed to get one eventually. They run all through my father's side of the family.

My debate on the Birks is whether to wear them a bit loose so that my toe does not have pressure pushed against it or whether to wear the strap pulled more snug so it can't rub back and forth. At the moment I have on thick Thoro socks.

Thanks for all you do for us,
Beverly