Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

taping- has it helped anyone????

Posted by rekha.s on 6/19/00 at 22:15 (022074)

Can anyone out there tell me if taping has worked for them?

I had orbasone treatment in LA in late may, had some improvement but not as much I had hoped for. In fact,my foot has been hurting more the last few days (even more than prior to treatment).

I went to new Podiatrist who swears up and down that taping for as long as 6 months is the way to heal the fascia...he has been treating pf for 30 years and says all basketball players, football players with pf tape. Did anyone know that Don Drysdale had to end his career due to PF? I don't remember him except for 1 brady bunch episode...

I know Scott tapes his foot religiously, does anyone else have success with it? This Pod seems pretty well informed, and credible. His office will only charge me minimal for taping every week, and it is the one thing I never gave a chance cuz it was uncomfy....

Re: taping- has it helped anyone????

wendyn on 6/19/00 at 22:42 (022075)

Hi - I've had success with taping for short periods of time. When they tape you up - it really only stays in place from a day to at most 3 days (and you can't wash your feet while it's on). You can learn how to do a decent job of it yourself with hockey tape.

Ask the office to give you a step by step demonstration on how to place the tape and measure it. If they won't take the time - find another doctor. I've never heard of anyone being told to come in weekly for six months for taping....my doctor didn't charge me anything and took great pains to demonstrate proper technique.

Re: Don Drysdale Fan

Bob G. on 6/19/00 at 23:56 (022078)

Hello Rekha.S,

Yes, I was a big Don Drysdale fan and did not know he had had PF. My Dad used to take me to the Los Angeles Colesium to watch the Dodgers play Willie Mays and the Giants.

I hear that today's baseball superstar, Matt Williams of the Giants, is on the disabled list with PF. Last I heard he was getting a cortizone shot. I posted to their message board that I hoped the shot helps him, but it may not. I related my story.

Baseball Fan (as is Judy S.).

Rick R on 6/20/00 at 06:42 (022088)

Taping is the single greatest contributor to my recovery. Prior to surgery I had to tape daily to even walk (for many years). Now I tape prior to doing something stupid like running. I have posted my methods several times. I would be glad to share them again if you can't find it but would appreciate it if you could search a bit. Good luck,

Rick

Rick R on 6/20/00 at 06:51 (022089)

It isn't even hockey season, at least down here in the tropics. Has your snow finally melted? You know me and the tape issue, I don't think anyone else could tape as well as the patient once she or he gets the hang of it. By the way, I thought about you and your April trip on this past mothers day. We took a family trip to the art club (The Pallete and Chisel, quite hoy paloy) where my father-in-law used to paint (It beats taking her to the bone orchard). It's right accross the street from the Dr Schols institute.

wendyn on 6/20/00 at 08:51 (022092)

Rick! Long lost foot buddy!! Did you check out the foot museum? I found it fascinating - but I'm sure it would only appeal to a small few. To show you how well I started doing around that trip - I walked from the Sheraton Towers (I think N Water street?) to the museum and back. That night I walked from hotel to John Hancock and back again. Slowly - but I did it.

Also had most amazing food at the Cheescake place at the John Hancock. I will go back again just for that restaurant. You have a beautiful city Rick.

All our snow is gone, it'll be about 21C today, not sure what that is in American temp. Nice day - not too hot.

My feet continue to improve - I can't really believe it's happening. I keep saying it's nothing short of a miracle - perhaps I have Beverly to thank.

Rick R on 6/20/00 at 12:50 (022114)

Good to hear you are doing well. Didn't get to the foot museum. I'd go but I'm afraid I'd end up on display. What lead to your improvement?

BJC on 6/20/00 at 13:38 (022116)

Taping helped me through a New Orleans vacation. Since I could not be taped forever, and since my insurance did not pay for it, I tried the Futuro ankle wrap. This provided significant relief, could be removed whenever, and cost very little - about $5.00. The downside is that it is not as stable as a good wrap. After surgery, I believe my foot was not as strong as before, and it took a while to build up the strength and stability my foot needs. But I still use the wrap during particularly stressful foot activities.

Re: Back to Rick

wendyn on 6/20/00 at 14:04 (022117)

Can't be 100% sure. Time, prayer, yoga, B12, acupuncture, Birks - not wearing orthotics or runners. Lots of time. Lots of Rest.

Improvement has come in sudden bursts - big one right around Chicago trip (right after acupuncture). Rationally - I find it hard to believe these alternative therapies are doing the trick - but I am much better.

The pain I have is isolated to muscle/bone pain - rarely any nerve pain. I'm up to 15 minutes biking per day. I am a much happier person...a lot easier to be around!

Still going to get a PFT as schedule permits.

How are you doing???!?!?!

You should check out the museum. I was the only one in it at the time...carried a little stool from display to display. Very nice. And it's free too. Then go to the cheescake place. Eat everything.

Rosie A on 6/20/00 at 15:17 (022121)

The first time my pod (2nd pod, the 1st one never even mentioned taping) taped my feet the results were pure bliss. It took the pain from a 8 to at least a 4 or 5. The tape job was pretty simple to follow and he went over it slowly so I could reproduce it. I help teach several martial arts classes so whenever I'm teaching or working out I make sure and tape up. It must make a difference because when I done with my classes my feet aren't killing me. Sometimes I even put my Spenco ankle wraps over my tape job for extra support. Good luck with the taping.

Rosie

Re: Back to Wendyn

Rick R on 6/20/00 at 16:41 (022124)

I'm doing well. The heels are great but the much punished balls of the feet are killing me. Not to mention my back is messed up again. No big deal compared to what's in the past. My dearest friend just found her husband has a rare form of cancer so whining about my silly aches seems so trivial. As allways you show your scientific mind by not jumping to conclusions as to what led to your improvement. I think some of us fall into the trap of concluding that what ever kick we were on at the time we began to feel better must be the holy grail of PF treatment.

wendyn on 6/19/00 at 22:42 (022075)

Hi - I've had success with taping for short periods of time. When they tape you up - it really only stays in place from a day to at most 3 days (and you can't wash your feet while it's on). You can learn how to do a decent job of it yourself with hockey tape.

Ask the office to give you a step by step demonstration on how to place the tape and measure it. If they won't take the time - find another doctor. I've never heard of anyone being told to come in weekly for six months for taping....my doctor didn't charge me anything and took great pains to demonstrate proper technique.

Re: Don Drysdale Fan

Bob G. on 6/19/00 at 23:56 (022078)

Hello Rekha.S,

Yes, I was a big Don Drysdale fan and did not know he had had PF. My Dad used to take me to the Los Angeles Colesium to watch the Dodgers play Willie Mays and the Giants.

I hear that today's baseball superstar, Matt Williams of the Giants, is on the disabled list with PF. Last I heard he was getting a cortizone shot. I posted to their message board that I hoped the shot helps him, but it may not. I related my story.

Baseball Fan (as is Judy S.).

Rick R on 6/20/00 at 06:42 (022088)

Taping is the single greatest contributor to my recovery. Prior to surgery I had to tape daily to even walk (for many years). Now I tape prior to doing something stupid like running. I have posted my methods several times. I would be glad to share them again if you can't find it but would appreciate it if you could search a bit. Good luck,

Rick

Rick R on 6/20/00 at 06:51 (022089)

It isn't even hockey season, at least down here in the tropics. Has your snow finally melted? You know me and the tape issue, I don't think anyone else could tape as well as the patient once she or he gets the hang of it. By the way, I thought about you and your April trip on this past mothers day. We took a family trip to the art club (The Pallete and Chisel, quite hoy paloy) where my father-in-law used to paint (It beats taking her to the bone orchard). It's right accross the street from the Dr Schols institute.

wendyn on 6/20/00 at 08:51 (022092)

Rick! Long lost foot buddy!! Did you check out the foot museum? I found it fascinating - but I'm sure it would only appeal to a small few. To show you how well I started doing around that trip - I walked from the Sheraton Towers (I think N Water street?) to the museum and back. That night I walked from hotel to John Hancock and back again. Slowly - but I did it.

Also had most amazing food at the Cheescake place at the John Hancock. I will go back again just for that restaurant. You have a beautiful city Rick.

All our snow is gone, it'll be about 21C today, not sure what that is in American temp. Nice day - not too hot.

My feet continue to improve - I can't really believe it's happening. I keep saying it's nothing short of a miracle - perhaps I have Beverly to thank.

Rick R on 6/20/00 at 12:50 (022114)

Good to hear you are doing well. Didn't get to the foot museum. I'd go but I'm afraid I'd end up on display. What lead to your improvement?

BJC on 6/20/00 at 13:38 (022116)

Taping helped me through a New Orleans vacation. Since I could not be taped forever, and since my insurance did not pay for it, I tried the Futuro ankle wrap. This provided significant relief, could be removed whenever, and cost very little - about $5.00. The downside is that it is not as stable as a good wrap. After surgery, I believe my foot was not as strong as before, and it took a while to build up the strength and stability my foot needs. But I still use the wrap during particularly stressful foot activities.

Re: Back to Rick

wendyn on 6/20/00 at 14:04 (022117)

Can't be 100% sure. Time, prayer, yoga, B12, acupuncture, Birks - not wearing orthotics or runners. Lots of time. Lots of Rest.

Improvement has come in sudden bursts - big one right around Chicago trip (right after acupuncture). Rationally - I find it hard to believe these alternative therapies are doing the trick - but I am much better.

The pain I have is isolated to muscle/bone pain - rarely any nerve pain. I'm up to 15 minutes biking per day. I am a much happier person...a lot easier to be around!

Still going to get a PFT as schedule permits.

How are you doing???!?!?!

You should check out the museum. I was the only one in it at the time...carried a little stool from display to display. Very nice. And it's free too. Then go to the cheescake place. Eat everything.

Rosie A on 6/20/00 at 15:17 (022121)

The first time my pod (2nd pod, the 1st one never even mentioned taping) taped my feet the results were pure bliss. It took the pain from a 8 to at least a 4 or 5. The tape job was pretty simple to follow and he went over it slowly so I could reproduce it. I help teach several martial arts classes so whenever I'm teaching or working out I make sure and tape up. It must make a difference because when I done with my classes my feet aren't killing me. Sometimes I even put my Spenco ankle wraps over my tape job for extra support. Good luck with the taping.

Rosie

Re: Back to Wendyn

Rick R on 6/20/00 at 16:41 (022124)

I'm doing well. The heels are great but the much punished balls of the feet are killing me. Not to mention my back is messed up again. No big deal compared to what's in the past. My dearest friend just found her husband has a rare form of cancer so whining about my silly aches seems so trivial. As allways you show your scientific mind by not jumping to conclusions as to what led to your improvement. I think some of us fall into the trap of concluding that what ever kick we were on at the time we began to feel better must be the holy grail of PF treatment.

Re: Back to Rickb

Linda V. on 8/27/04 at 17:32 (158831)

..i am 2/3 of the way through 'the mind body prescription'. i have always believed, and seen it confirmed through my nursing, that the mind can play powerfully in a persons ability to deal with things. My positive attitude folks who took on their illness with great attitudes usually did a lot better than the ones who heard the word 'cancer' and immediately started planning to die. my younger brother has been disabled with horrible knees for a few years. everytime i suggested a new drug or treatment, he would say 'it won't work. nothing works.' and so, nothing has.
i wish he could be open minded.....
if you get ONE positive feedback for every twenty negative...i'd say you should feel you are helping. people have to realize NO ONE SAYS it is ALL IN YOUR MIND...but your body is going to do what the brain tells it to---be sick or work on healing.