Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What about cortizone pills?

Posted by Beverly on 6/20/00 at 00:13 (022080)

I know that when my doctor sees me again, his next tactic will be cortizone pills. (as opposed to painful injections.) I told him last time I was relunctant to take them, and he did not push the issue.
I am VERY AFRAID OF CORTIZONE. After reading some of the injection horror stories on the board, I'm even more afraid. I saw cortizone really mess up my mother with MS. But the doctor says the pills are not as strong as a shot and won't hurt like the shot, and a six day course is not much cortizone over the course of one's lifetime.

I have a poor immune system. Years ago I had constant systemic Candida. It took me several years to get completely under control. I know cortizone is a trigger for upsetting the immune system and Candida.
It is bad enough to hurt. I don't want to itch and be foggy too.

Has anyone tried the pills? What were they like? Did you gain weight?
I've lost seven pounds over the last few months that I don't want to regain since loosing weight is well thought of for controlling PF.

I have doubts the cortizone would be anything but a temporary fix.

What do you all think?
Beverly

Re: What about cortizone pills?

wendyn on 6/20/00 at 08:58 (022094)

Beveley - this is one of those somewhat touchy issues. People that are pro cortisone tend to be VERY pro cortisone. Folks against it tend to be VERY against it.

Some people (Scott included) have had wonderful results from Prednisone.

HOWEVER. This is a very powerful drug with potentially very dangerous side effects. The problem with taking a pill instead of a shot is that it's not specific to your foot.

Prednisone shuts down the (whole) body's inflammatory response - whether or not the benefits will be long term is impossible to say.

We've had a lot of good debate (both for and against) - do a search on prednisone and cortisone and maybe steriods - you'll come up with LOTS of good info and opinions.

john h on 6/20/00 at 09:44 (022100)

i have had 2 cortisone shots and they were not all that painful. just take a deep breath and exhale as he gives the shot. i also had a 10 day course with the steriod pills. it stopped every pain in my body and cured the tendonitis in my wrist for which it was given. i had no side effect.

Nancy S. on 6/20/00 at 10:05 (022104)

Yes, but John, didn't you have the shot through the side of your foot? If I were to get another shot, which I won't, I would ask for it through the side of the foot. The one that goes straight into the bottom of your foot, right into THE most painful PF spot, is a whopper killer sadistic shot. I can't even stand to think about it. The freezing of the area, which was almost as bad, plus the shot in total took about three minutes. If I had been able to breathe, many inhales and exhales would have taken place.
--Nancy, the not so tough Mainiac

Pauline on 6/20/00 at 12:32 (022112)

I have had both shots and pills. The shots I had were both at the side of my foot and also directly into the bottom of my foot. I did
not find them that painful, but then I was told I have an extremely high pain tolerence. I had three layers of stitches after a delivery without any type of medication. Now that bothered me because it took so long.

The best pill result I had was with a large dose of dexamethasone. It was givn by mouth and only at night. All inflammation I had anywhere went down. It stopped it in its tracks. I don't remember
the dosage maybe Dr. Z can shed some light on why it worked in 1993.
I have not been offered this treatment this time although I have asked for it. Why is this not used today???

Rosie A on 6/20/00 at 15:24 (022122)

Hi Bev, my 1st pod gave me cortizone pills and they worked better then any of the other drugs I've had since then. My feet felt much better at the end of my prescription. Unfortunately, I so close to testing for my senior 1st degree black belt at that time and pushed it. Then, ta-da, back to square one. So if you decide to try them, be careful if you start feeling better. Don't be a bone head like I was...at least I passed my testing!

Rosie

Re: What about cortizone pills & dr Z

john h on 6/20/00 at 17:35 (022131)

yes my shot was from the side. why would the doctor give it straight from the bottom. he would have to accurately judge the thickness of the fascia. i guess if the problem was directly in the middle of the foot it might be hard to reach from the side. dr z give us some info on this. the side shot was not painful and would seem easier to hit your spot than from bottom.

john h on 6/20/00 at 17:41 (022132)

i had one course of prednisone for tendonditis and it stopped all pain including my foot. cured the tendonitis but foot pain returned. my neighbor who is a pathologist has been taking predisone for RA. last week she was taken to the hospital when her stomach ruptured from an ulcer probably caused by overuse of predisone. in hospital with surgery but has recovered. i used to be firmly against cortisone shots but no more. they have a place in the treatment of PF (IMHO) both for diagnostic and pain relief. cortisone shots are widely used for many joint problems throughout the body with success.

john h on 6/21/00 at 10:37 (022156)

nancy: a 3 minute shot!!!!! you must have visited dr frankenstein. my shot lasted about 3 seconds.

Nancy S. on 6/21/00 at 14:19 (022173)

John, ya, I would say I visited Dr. Frankenstein, masquerading in good-looking sheep's clothing. Honestly, the shot took forever. The freezing stuff he sprayed on took over a minute, close up, and it was agonizing. Then the shot itself he took about two minutes injecting -- he said that slow is less painful. I just about fainted during it. My eyes were closed, my face contorted, my whole body writhing -- and at the end he asked innocently, 'Did that hurt? It wasn't too bad, was it?' -Nancy

john h on 6/21/00 at 17:05 (022181)

nancy: that truly sounded like the shot from hell! i am supprised he did put you in handcuffs and beat you while he was at it. i would want to see that guys diploma.

wendyn on 6/20/00 at 08:58 (022094)

Beveley - this is one of those somewhat touchy issues. People that are pro cortisone tend to be VERY pro cortisone. Folks against it tend to be VERY against it.

Some people (Scott included) have had wonderful results from Prednisone.

HOWEVER. This is a very powerful drug with potentially very dangerous side effects. The problem with taking a pill instead of a shot is that it's not specific to your foot.

Prednisone shuts down the (whole) body's inflammatory response - whether or not the benefits will be long term is impossible to say.

We've had a lot of good debate (both for and against) - do a search on prednisone and cortisone and maybe steriods - you'll come up with LOTS of good info and opinions.

john h on 6/20/00 at 09:44 (022100)

i have had 2 cortisone shots and they were not all that painful. just take a deep breath and exhale as he gives the shot. i also had a 10 day course with the steriod pills. it stopped every pain in my body and cured the tendonitis in my wrist for which it was given. i had no side effect.

Nancy S. on 6/20/00 at 10:05 (022104)

Yes, but John, didn't you have the shot through the side of your foot? If I were to get another shot, which I won't, I would ask for it through the side of the foot. The one that goes straight into the bottom of your foot, right into THE most painful PF spot, is a whopper killer sadistic shot. I can't even stand to think about it. The freezing of the area, which was almost as bad, plus the shot in total took about three minutes. If I had been able to breathe, many inhales and exhales would have taken place.
--Nancy, the not so tough Mainiac

Pauline on 6/20/00 at 12:32 (022112)

I have had both shots and pills. The shots I had were both at the side of my foot and also directly into the bottom of my foot. I did
not find them that painful, but then I was told I have an extremely high pain tolerence. I had three layers of stitches after a delivery without any type of medication. Now that bothered me because it took so long.

The best pill result I had was with a large dose of dexamethasone. It was givn by mouth and only at night. All inflammation I had anywhere went down. It stopped it in its tracks. I don't remember
the dosage maybe Dr. Z can shed some light on why it worked in 1993.
I have not been offered this treatment this time although I have asked for it. Why is this not used today???

Rosie A on 6/20/00 at 15:24 (022122)

Hi Bev, my 1st pod gave me cortizone pills and they worked better then any of the other drugs I've had since then. My feet felt much better at the end of my prescription. Unfortunately, I so close to testing for my senior 1st degree black belt at that time and pushed it. Then, ta-da, back to square one. So if you decide to try them, be careful if you start feeling better. Don't be a bone head like I was...at least I passed my testing!

Rosie

Re: What about cortizone pills & dr Z

john h on 6/20/00 at 17:35 (022131)

yes my shot was from the side. why would the doctor give it straight from the bottom. he would have to accurately judge the thickness of the fascia. i guess if the problem was directly in the middle of the foot it might be hard to reach from the side. dr z give us some info on this. the side shot was not painful and would seem easier to hit your spot than from bottom.

john h on 6/20/00 at 17:41 (022132)

i had one course of prednisone for tendonditis and it stopped all pain including my foot. cured the tendonitis but foot pain returned. my neighbor who is a pathologist has been taking predisone for RA. last week she was taken to the hospital when her stomach ruptured from an ulcer probably caused by overuse of predisone. in hospital with surgery but has recovered. i used to be firmly against cortisone shots but no more. they have a place in the treatment of PF (IMHO) both for diagnostic and pain relief. cortisone shots are widely used for many joint problems throughout the body with success.

john h on 6/21/00 at 10:37 (022156)

nancy: a 3 minute shot!!!!! you must have visited dr frankenstein. my shot lasted about 3 seconds.

Nancy S. on 6/21/00 at 14:19 (022173)

John, ya, I would say I visited Dr. Frankenstein, masquerading in good-looking sheep's clothing. Honestly, the shot took forever. The freezing stuff he sprayed on took over a minute, close up, and it was agonizing. Then the shot itself he took about two minutes injecting -- he said that slow is less painful. I just about fainted during it. My eyes were closed, my face contorted, my whole body writhing -- and at the end he asked innocently, 'Did that hurt? It wasn't too bad, was it?' -Nancy

john h on 6/21/00 at 17:05 (022181)

nancy: that truly sounded like the shot from hell! i am supprised he did put you in handcuffs and beat you while he was at it. i would want to see that guys diploma.