Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. orders Ionaphoresis with dexamethazone

Posted by Pauline on 6/20/00 at 05:12 (022084)

Please fill me in on Ionaphoresis (excuse the spelling if it is not
correst). The Physical Therapist does it using dexamethzone. Puts
the measured medication on electrode pad and puts positive and negative pads on, one on the foot, one on my leg. Medication only
on foot. I've had 2 so far, one on each foot and have receive
some relief in the extreme flare up I've been experiencing. So now
what's the bad news I should know about this process. I realize
dexamethzone is a steroid, but how much actually gets driven into
the foot by this method? I hope it is safer than the injections.
Has anyone had their Plantar Fascia tear as a direct result of using dexametzone via ionaphoresis delivery? How many treatments can
you safely have? My orthopedic Dr. is very difficult to get a hold of you know the kind you send messages to via the office staff. He is the one who ran the tests on the OssaTron here in Mich. Goes in 18 different directions so I have not been able to speak to him directly about the dangers or help afforded this treatment. I am getting some relief and would not mind keeping it up, but how long?????????

Re: Dr. orders Ionaphoresis with dexamethazone

Kathy on 6/20/00 at 09:20 (022096)

Pauline,
Did pt for 8 weeks and for 5 of those had the iono and dex, felt some relief but got better results with ultrasound and topical seriod cream, unfortunatlly neither one lasted. You mentioned a Doctor in Mich. that did Ossotron, could you tell me where he is and if he is still doing it? I live near Lansing Mi and have been waiting for the Sonorex clinic to open in Windsor Canada. I feel that this course of treatment is my best option but have been unable to find someone local that can preform it. Any infor would be helpful. Thanks

Pauline on 6/20/00 at 10:23 (022106)

Kathy,
Dr. Christopher Zingas M.D. did the studies here in Mich. He works out of St. Johns Hospital Detroit and Henry Ford Hospital Detroit. His study I believe was done out of Henry Ford. He can no longer use the machine because the study has finished and the OssaTon has not been approved yet although I hear there is a possibility of still getting into something at Rochester N.Y. Maybe approved soon then he can use it.

I had two sons go to school in Lansing so I know the trip well. We
live about 40 Min from Sarnia and I believe the machine you are
waiting for has a center there. If you decide you want to make that
trip I will offer my home as overnight lodging going and comming if it can help you. I haven't decided to use it yet. Thought I would wait until the healing is over.

By the way how long did your ion/dexamethasone last. Do you know
the reason for only a short term effect?

Kathy on 6/20/00 at 14:06 (022118)

Pauline,
Everyones pf is different and mine unfortunatly didn't respond well to the ion/dex treatment. The pt left the machine on for 12 min. but forgot to tell me the first time that I would feel a slight stinging sensation during treatment.
I was scheduled for surgery last January but canceled after learning about ESWT, I feel that trying that before having surgery would be in my best interest since once they cut there really isn't anything else they can do. I have suffered with pf for over two years and have done evey treatment imaginable including 6 cortizone shots in the right foot and 5 in the left. Thanks for the offer of your home, If the clinic in Windsor opens up soon it will be an hour away. I suggest reading the ESWT messege board if you haven't done so already, some very good and interesting information there. Thanks again for the name of the Mi doctor, I e-mailed Henry Ford hospital several months ago about the ossotron but never heard back from them. Lets keep in touch, thanks again

Kathy on 6/20/00 at 09:20 (022096)

Pauline,
Did pt for 8 weeks and for 5 of those had the iono and dex, felt some relief but got better results with ultrasound and topical seriod cream, unfortunatlly neither one lasted. You mentioned a Doctor in Mich. that did Ossotron, could you tell me where he is and if he is still doing it? I live near Lansing Mi and have been waiting for the Sonorex clinic to open in Windsor Canada. I feel that this course of treatment is my best option but have been unable to find someone local that can preform it. Any infor would be helpful. Thanks

Pauline on 6/20/00 at 10:23 (022106)

Kathy,
Dr. Christopher Zingas M.D. did the studies here in Mich. He works out of St. Johns Hospital Detroit and Henry Ford Hospital Detroit. His study I believe was done out of Henry Ford. He can no longer use the machine because the study has finished and the OssaTon has not been approved yet although I hear there is a possibility of still getting into something at Rochester N.Y. Maybe approved soon then he can use it.

I had two sons go to school in Lansing so I know the trip well. We
live about 40 Min from Sarnia and I believe the machine you are
waiting for has a center there. If you decide you want to make that
trip I will offer my home as overnight lodging going and comming if it can help you. I haven't decided to use it yet. Thought I would wait until the healing is over.

By the way how long did your ion/dexamethasone last. Do you know
the reason for only a short term effect?

Kathy on 6/20/00 at 14:06 (022118)

Pauline,
Everyones pf is different and mine unfortunatly didn't respond well to the ion/dex treatment. The pt left the machine on for 12 min. but forgot to tell me the first time that I would feel a slight stinging sensation during treatment.
I was scheduled for surgery last January but canceled after learning about ESWT, I feel that trying that before having surgery would be in my best interest since once they cut there really isn't anything else they can do. I have suffered with pf for over two years and have done evey treatment imaginable including 6 cortizone shots in the right foot and 5 in the left. Thanks for the offer of your home, If the clinic in Windsor opens up soon it will be an hour away. I suggest reading the ESWT messege board if you haven't done so already, some very good and interesting information there. Thanks again for the name of the Mi doctor, I e-mailed Henry Ford hospital several months ago about the ossotron but never heard back from them. Lets keep in touch, thanks again