Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone tried the Birk thongs? Mephesto Helen thong question. Boston Birk question

Posted by Beverly on 6/20/00 at 08:53 (022093)

Hi All!
Has anyone tried the Birk thong or any other Birk thong? I'm really liking this Arizona (left toe bar still a bit irritating but sock and time are helping). I think this Birk Arizona is helping my Plantar Fascia and I am less concerned about the toe bar now that I have discovered that every shoe I own right now with a toe bar is more noticeable on my left foot. (Perhaps it's inflammation and the bursa.)
I understand the Gezeh thong is built on a classic footbed. So my guess is I'd take the same size in the thong as I do in the Arizona. My main interest is that if I could get used to the thong, it will help give my bursa on my big toe (maybe a small bunion, not sure) time to calm down undisturbed.

Also, Kim, I remember reading that you wear the Helen Mephesto thong.
Does it touch your big toe joint? I can't tell from the picture on the website.

Boston Birk question: If my feet just fit in my Arizona Birk, would I go up a size in the clog? If you recall, my toes come to the edge of the rim on the Arizona. (Bugged me at first but not now.) Is there another Birk clog that is also comfty & roomy? I don't want anything that feels hard on top.

I must continue to put in a good word for the Dansko. At least the Meta sandal. So far, I'm impressed. (I think it favors people with high arches.)

Now that I have worn the Birk and Dansko, I will say that although my Ecco Cosmo is softer and more comfty, it does not provide nearly the support the Birk or Dansko do.

I can see I don't have to worry about whether or not to go on vacation when I feel better, because I'm spending my vacation money on shoes! But hey, it's worth it. (I'm dipping into my 'get hurricane shutters' savings too.) Well, we had a hurricane last year. I was far enough inland. At the moment my feet are of more interest to me than a hurricane. (I wonder if that is sane?) I am in search of the Holy Grail of shoes!

After several adjustments by my massage therapist and some PT, my neck
is feeling better... a ways to go, but better. That is making me saner. I can deal with being messed up at one end, but when I get messed up at both ends, I start loosing perspective! A word to the wise: If you have a history of neck and shoulder injuries, before going on crutches, ask the doctor if this is absolutely neccessary and if there are any alternatives. I wish I'd been more assertive.

Thanks a bunch,
Beverly

Re: Beverly, re Boston Birks

Nancy S. on 6/20/00 at 09:26 (022097)

Hi Beverly,
My feet in the Nebraskas apparently fit like yours do in the Arizonas. However, I take a size _smaller_ (39 narrow) in the Bostons. The Bostons, with the clog-like top, don't have a pronounced ridge at the toe end like the open-toed sandals do, which I'm guessing is the reason for the difference in size. However, I can wear thicker socks in the Nebraskas if I want; in the Bostons, I can wear many kinds of socks but not really thick ones. I did try the size 40 in Boston, and it was clearly too big.
If you're thinking of taking a chance and ordering Bostons over the Net, I definitely wouldn't get a bigger size than the Arizonas. I would be ordering the size smaller, obviously, if it were me -- so I don't know whether to suggest that you order a size smaller or the same size as your Arizonas. If you feel like sending a pair back, order both. (Or maybe you'd keep both! -- one for no or thin socks, and one for thick socks!)
I do like the Bostons a lot. Mine are suede, and are not what I would call soft on top but they aren't hard either. They're in-between, like so many things in life.
--Nancy

Re: Has anyone tried the Birk thongs? Mephesto Helen thong question. Boston Birk question

john h on 6/20/00 at 09:39 (022098)

birk thongs? for foot or body? not with my bod!

Re: Has anyone tried the Birk thongs? Mephesto Helen thong question. Boston Birk question

Margaret M. on 6/20/00 at 13:06 (022115)

Beverly - I wear the Arizonas and Bostons (and Florida) in the same size and the birki clogs one size larger. That sort of follows what the retailers recommend and it works for me. I've been wanting to order some water shoes and they have the molded footbed like the birki clogs so I guess I will order one size up. I have ordered one pair from the site in Germany, had them shipped air, and was very happy with the timing.

Re: I'm probably no help

Robin B. on 6/20/00 at 16:53 (022125)

I tried several clog style Birks on when I first got turned onto Birks, and have had to forego the pleasure -- because it wasn't. I found the hard leather that Birkenstock uses to be way too harsh on my toes. Nubuck particularly is a serious, hard, durable leather and my feet (toes in particular) felt crushed by the weight. My feeling would be -- proceed but with caution.

Regarding money and vacation, I long ago committed to buying Birkenstocks for the rest of my life. I'll shop for bargains at Marshalls and TJ Maxx -- and then waltz out with $90 sandals. No matter -- my feet are far happier in comfortable shoes. Yours will be too. This board is replete with PF sufferers who went on vacations and -- wearing not so great shoes and overdoing it -- came home in pain. Me -- I'd rather spend my retirement money on shoes that make my feet feel goooood.

Re: Mephisto

lynda on 6/21/00 at 00:38 (022152)

I love my Mephistos, especially the Helen thong. I also like the 'Sarah' clog. Don't get the ones that are flat inside, look for the shaped arch.
Stay away from the sandal with the slightly elevated heel and 3 straps if you have a problem with the underside of the big toe, they seem to put a little pressure there.
I got my Mephistos last summer and saw relief in 2 weeks.

Re: Beverly, re Boston Birks

Nancy S. on 6/20/00 at 09:26 (022097)

Hi Beverly,
My feet in the Nebraskas apparently fit like yours do in the Arizonas. However, I take a size _smaller_ (39 narrow) in the Bostons. The Bostons, with the clog-like top, don't have a pronounced ridge at the toe end like the open-toed sandals do, which I'm guessing is the reason for the difference in size. However, I can wear thicker socks in the Nebraskas if I want; in the Bostons, I can wear many kinds of socks but not really thick ones. I did try the size 40 in Boston, and it was clearly too big.
If you're thinking of taking a chance and ordering Bostons over the Net, I definitely wouldn't get a bigger size than the Arizonas. I would be ordering the size smaller, obviously, if it were me -- so I don't know whether to suggest that you order a size smaller or the same size as your Arizonas. If you feel like sending a pair back, order both. (Or maybe you'd keep both! -- one for no or thin socks, and one for thick socks!)
I do like the Bostons a lot. Mine are suede, and are not what I would call soft on top but they aren't hard either. They're in-between, like so many things in life.
--Nancy

john h on 6/20/00 at 09:39 (022098)

birk thongs? for foot or body? not with my bod!

Margaret M. on 6/20/00 at 13:06 (022115)

Beverly - I wear the Arizonas and Bostons (and Florida) in the same size and the birki clogs one size larger. That sort of follows what the retailers recommend and it works for me. I've been wanting to order some water shoes and they have the molded footbed like the birki clogs so I guess I will order one size up. I have ordered one pair from the site in Germany, had them shipped air, and was very happy with the timing.

Re: I'm probably no help

Robin B. on 6/20/00 at 16:53 (022125)

I tried several clog style Birks on when I first got turned onto Birks, and have had to forego the pleasure -- because it wasn't. I found the hard leather that Birkenstock uses to be way too harsh on my toes. Nubuck particularly is a serious, hard, durable leather and my feet (toes in particular) felt crushed by the weight. My feeling would be -- proceed but with caution.

Regarding money and vacation, I long ago committed to buying Birkenstocks for the rest of my life. I'll shop for bargains at Marshalls and TJ Maxx -- and then waltz out with $90 sandals. No matter -- my feet are far happier in comfortable shoes. Yours will be too. This board is replete with PF sufferers who went on vacations and -- wearing not so great shoes and overdoing it -- came home in pain. Me -- I'd rather spend my retirement money on shoes that make my feet feel goooood.

Re: Mephisto

lynda on 6/21/00 at 00:38 (022152)

I love my Mephistos, especially the Helen thong. I also like the 'Sarah' clog. Don't get the ones that are flat inside, look for the shaped arch.
Stay away from the sandal with the slightly elevated heel and 3 straps if you have a problem with the underside of the big toe, they seem to put a little pressure there.
I got my Mephistos last summer and saw relief in 2 weeks.