Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Beverly --- How much progress have you made?

Posted by Steve P on 6/24/00 at 11:31 (022321)

Beverly --- Like you, I am approaching the 4 month mark & I am curious as to what % recovery you feel you have had to date. I would say I'm 25% to 30% better at this point. If I can continue at 10% per month, I'm hoping I will be in pretty good shape (but who knows!) in another 7 or 8 months.

Anyone else out there with a similar situation, please comment!

thanks............Steve

Re: Beverly --- How much progress have you made?

Beverly on 6/24/00 at 12:06 (022327)

Hi Steve,

I'm glad to hear you are doing better.

To answer your question, I make progress and relapse, progress and relapse. When I first got this and made progress, I made more than I have made thus far. But the relapse a couple of months ago (trip to small mall), set me backwards. Each time, I have one of these, it seems to take at least a month before I think I am back moving towards progress.
My last relaspe, if you have followed my posts, was especially nasty.
Who knows if it was the eight hour drive I made or over enthusiasm with a hard massage ball? (I am staying away from the massage ball at the moment, given it may have caused relapse.)

I have tried various shoes, rest, inserts, and ice, and anti-inflammatories. I would rank in this order of being helpful: rest, the right shoes and ice. I have no idea if the anti-inflammatories are helping. I've put myself on a time limit for taking them, because I don't want to mess up my stomach. I have mixed feelings about the inserts. It may just be I have not found the right insert for me yet.
I think ice (not real ice but the gel wraps) helps. I am going to increase that. I had gotten lazy on icing, and I am now increasing it... not by time but by icings per day.

But nothing beats rest so far for me. By rest, I mean avoiding all things I don't HAVE TO DO. I don't mean bedrest. I mean: sit at the computer, ride the electric cart at stores and don't go shopping at all unless neccessary, put my feet up on recliner as much as possible... that type of rest. For instance, I have family coming into town this weekend. They want to do all kinds of sightseeing I know I can't do. So, they will go sightseeing. I will take them to a movie and out to dinner, but skip the sightseeing, because I know I'd be crawling in a short period of time.

I gather you are an athletic type. If I am remembering right... This must be extra frustrating for you.

Keep in Touch,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 6/24/00 at 12:31 (022329)

Steve, you sound like you're going slowly but surely, and I applaud you; and Beverly, you are sounding wiser by the day! Terrific.
You probably know what my two cents for the day will be: Be sure to go slowly enough. I thought I was, but I guess one has to continually question that and make adjustments if needed. My PF improvement has been gradual and very good -- but apparently I was overeager and caused myself additional related problems (achilles). I hope, and believe, that this will be more easily cured. But I just want to urge you to be aware of any other problem that might creep up on you and not to ignore it like I did. And I thank you again for your concern and input.
--Nancy

Pauline on 6/24/00 at 17:38 (022341)

Beverly,
I can't remember were you treated with the OssaTron, part of the
trial group?

Beverly on 6/24/00 at 20:52 (022352)

Pauline,

No, I have not had that treatment. I think that I am probably way too early in this (3.5) months to be a candidate. I don't completely understand what it is. I keep reading posts about it, and I know it is a noninvasive experimental treatment, but I know next to zip about it or how it works. I will keep my ears open since I have read here on the board about Ossobran in Texas. (See I can't even remember how to spell it.)

Thanks,
Beverly
PS: Have you had it?

Pauline on 6/24/00 at 21:07 (022353)

No, I have not had the treatment. I do not think it would help me
at this point because my PF is spread throughout the entire bottom of both feet. Dr. Zuckerman who posts regularly indicated the OssaTron
is useful only in a very small pinpointed area.

This is my second time with PF. The last time it lasted 2 1/2 years.
I was pain free for almost 5 years, then it flared up again.

You can get all the information on the EWST on Scott's other page. Hopefully it will be approved for use in the U.S. this July.

Re: Thanks Bev & Nancy

Steve P on 6/25/00 at 17:52 (022393)

Beverly & Nancy --- Thanks for your replies. I have been following both of your posts & I do believe that we're all inching forward. Yes, indeed it's frustrating! I've had a couple of broken bones in the past & they were a BREEZE compared to this. After all, you break an arm, the doctor puts in in a cast for 2 or 3 months & that's it. None of this up/down/sideways/sideways/down/up type of progress.
As for patience....... I'm reminded of the cartoon of 2 buzzards sitting side by side on a limb. On says to the other, 'Patient, hell! I'm going to kill something!'
Cheers............Steve

Re: Thanks Pauline

Steve P on 6/25/00 at 17:59 (022395)

Pauline --- Thanks for your posts. Re Bromelain, I'm seriously considering starting it, having read reviews from Robin & others. If you do a general search on the Internet (i.e., not just within this website) for 'Bromelain Interactions' you will pull up some useful info.

regards......Steve

Pauline on 6/25/00 at 18:16 (022398)

Thanks Steve. Will begin my search. I am having major surgery
in Aug. If this is a blood thinner than I guess I will stay away from it for a while.

Nancy S. on 6/25/00 at 18:30 (022399)

Hi Steve, boy, did I relate to your post today! Today I feel like one of those buzzards: I want to kill something, which for me translates into 'I'm sick of going so slow and trying to be patient and trying every day to always do the right thing for my feet, and instead I want to go outside and run for three miles and to hell with the consequences.' Of course, this is just rebellion speaking, and I'm not going to do it, but for today it's been a nice thought. I've been hanging around here the last couple of days trying to be graceful about the AT diagnosis and the 'more rest' order, and today I thought Never mind, I don't feel graceful today, I'm going to imagine doing the exact opposite of everything I know.
Well, I guess this is sort of similar to Beverly's 'board panic attack.' I'm having a little 'board fit.' But I'm sitting in my recliner with my feet elevated, like a good girl, while having it!
Thanks, Steve.
Beverly, how are you today?
--Nancy

Beverly on 6/24/00 at 12:06 (022327)

Hi Steve,

I'm glad to hear you are doing better.

To answer your question, I make progress and relapse, progress and relapse. When I first got this and made progress, I made more than I have made thus far. But the relapse a couple of months ago (trip to small mall), set me backwards. Each time, I have one of these, it seems to take at least a month before I think I am back moving towards progress.
My last relaspe, if you have followed my posts, was especially nasty.
Who knows if it was the eight hour drive I made or over enthusiasm with a hard massage ball? (I am staying away from the massage ball at the moment, given it may have caused relapse.)

I have tried various shoes, rest, inserts, and ice, and anti-inflammatories. I would rank in this order of being helpful: rest, the right shoes and ice. I have no idea if the anti-inflammatories are helping. I've put myself on a time limit for taking them, because I don't want to mess up my stomach. I have mixed feelings about the inserts. It may just be I have not found the right insert for me yet.
I think ice (not real ice but the gel wraps) helps. I am going to increase that. I had gotten lazy on icing, and I am now increasing it... not by time but by icings per day.

But nothing beats rest so far for me. By rest, I mean avoiding all things I don't HAVE TO DO. I don't mean bedrest. I mean: sit at the computer, ride the electric cart at stores and don't go shopping at all unless neccessary, put my feet up on recliner as much as possible... that type of rest. For instance, I have family coming into town this weekend. They want to do all kinds of sightseeing I know I can't do. So, they will go sightseeing. I will take them to a movie and out to dinner, but skip the sightseeing, because I know I'd be crawling in a short period of time.

I gather you are an athletic type. If I am remembering right... This must be extra frustrating for you.

Keep in Touch,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 6/24/00 at 12:31 (022329)

Steve, you sound like you're going slowly but surely, and I applaud you; and Beverly, you are sounding wiser by the day! Terrific.
You probably know what my two cents for the day will be: Be sure to go slowly enough. I thought I was, but I guess one has to continually question that and make adjustments if needed. My PF improvement has been gradual and very good -- but apparently I was overeager and caused myself additional related problems (achilles). I hope, and believe, that this will be more easily cured. But I just want to urge you to be aware of any other problem that might creep up on you and not to ignore it like I did. And I thank you again for your concern and input.
--Nancy

Pauline on 6/24/00 at 17:38 (022341)

Beverly,
I can't remember were you treated with the OssaTron, part of the
trial group?

Beverly on 6/24/00 at 20:52 (022352)

Pauline,

No, I have not had that treatment. I think that I am probably way too early in this (3.5) months to be a candidate. I don't completely understand what it is. I keep reading posts about it, and I know it is a noninvasive experimental treatment, but I know next to zip about it or how it works. I will keep my ears open since I have read here on the board about Ossobran in Texas. (See I can't even remember how to spell it.)

Thanks,
Beverly
PS: Have you had it?

Pauline on 6/24/00 at 21:07 (022353)

No, I have not had the treatment. I do not think it would help me
at this point because my PF is spread throughout the entire bottom of both feet. Dr. Zuckerman who posts regularly indicated the OssaTron
is useful only in a very small pinpointed area.

This is my second time with PF. The last time it lasted 2 1/2 years.
I was pain free for almost 5 years, then it flared up again.

You can get all the information on the EWST on Scott's other page. Hopefully it will be approved for use in the U.S. this July.

Steve P on 6/25/00 at 17:52 (022393)

Beverly & Nancy --- Thanks for your replies. I have been following both of your posts & I do believe that we're all inching forward. Yes, indeed it's frustrating! I've had a couple of broken bones in the past & they were a BREEZE compared to this. After all, you break an arm, the doctor puts in in a cast for 2 or 3 months & that's it. None of this up/down/sideways/sideways/down/up type of progress.
As for patience....... I'm reminded of the cartoon of 2 buzzards sitting side by side on a limb. On says to the other, 'Patient, hell! I'm going to kill something!'
Cheers............Steve

Steve P on 6/25/00 at 17:59 (022395)

Pauline --- Thanks for your posts. Re Bromelain, I'm seriously considering starting it, having read reviews from Robin & others. If you do a general search on the Internet (i.e., not just within this website) for 'Bromelain Interactions' you will pull up some useful info.

regards......Steve

Pauline on 6/25/00 at 18:16 (022398)

Thanks Steve. Will begin my search. I am having major surgery
in Aug. If this is a blood thinner than I guess I will stay away from it for a while.

Nancy S. on 6/25/00 at 18:30 (022399)

Hi Steve, boy, did I relate to your post today! Today I feel like one of those buzzards: I want to kill something, which for me translates into 'I'm sick of going so slow and trying to be patient and trying every day to always do the right thing for my feet, and instead I want to go outside and run for three miles and to hell with the consequences.' Of course, this is just rebellion speaking, and I'm not going to do it, but for today it's been a nice thought. I've been hanging around here the last couple of days trying to be graceful about the AT diagnosis and the 'more rest' order, and today I thought Never mind, I don't feel graceful today, I'm going to imagine doing the exact opposite of everything I know.
Well, I guess this is sort of similar to Beverly's 'board panic attack.' I'm having a little 'board fit.' But I'm sitting in my recliner with my feet elevated, like a good girl, while having it!
Thanks, Steve.
Beverly, how are you today?
--Nancy