Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How the stress from foot pain can lead to something serious somewhere else/eye doc just saved my eye else.

Posted by Beverly on 6/24/00 at 15:51 (022334)

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW ONGOING STRESS FROM FOOT PAIN CAN EFFECT THE REST OF YOUR BODY.
Well, I guess this is just not my year. I just came back from an emergency appointment with my eye doctor's on call collegue. I described my very strange symptoms, and he said, 'I'd like to see you right away.' I thought I probably had Iritis again which in itself is not good. But this was much worse. The eye doctor said I had a mild case of Herpes Simplex in my left eye. (One of the leading causes of blindness in America.) He said that since it is very mild... He had to hunt for it, there is every reason to believe my eye will completely recover. He said he would be surprised if it is not gone by the end of the week. But he said this is serious enough, I need to be seen every few days until we have this under control, and I have to use powerful eye drops nine times a day. He says he has only had one patient in his years of practice not recover when it was mild; so I'm believing God I will get well just like his other patients.

He asked me about my stress level. I told him about my foot and how stressful that has been. He says anyone who ever had chicken pox as a child carries this virus and not to be embarrassed because it is not the same thing as an STD. (Of course most people just get a cold sore on their lip. I don't know how I got so lucky to get it in my eye!) He says that no one knows exactly what triggers this in adulthood, but that stress is certainly part of the process.

One other reason I am telling you all about this is to say if you get weird/new/alarming symptoms, whether in your foot or in some other type of your body and you call the nurse and she blows you off or gives her own 2 cents worth, don't take no for an answer! Insist on talking to the doctor.

You see, yesterday, I called my eye doc's office... gave my symptoms to the nurse, and she said it 'just sounds like eye strain but I'll note it on your chart.' She didn't think it was even worth bothering or finding the doctor! But yet, his oncall collegue thought it was so potentially serious, he met me on a Saturday and opened his office, and he saved my eye in the process!

I know this is not exactly about foot pain, but I believe the ongoing stress from foot pain led to this. We all have our weak points. For me, it is my immune system. (Had Candida and Epstein Barr in the past.) For others, it might be their stomachs. (And we all know what too many anti-inflammatories can do to that.) AND I PRAISE GOD I DID NOT LET THE LAST POD GIVE ME A CORTIZONE SHOT. CORTIZONE; ACCORDING TO MY EYE DOCTOR, WOULD HAVE SPEEDED UP THE INFECTION AND MADE IT WORSE.

So, I am calmer than I would have expected to be, because I believe God was watching out for me when this very nice doctor met me on a Saturday... an unheard of thing. ER would not have caught it. He needed all his fancy equipment to see it.

Beverly

Re: How the stress from foot pain can lead to something serious somewhere else/eye doc just saved my eye else.

wendyn on 6/24/00 at 16:38 (022336)

Wow - and it's a really good thing you didn't take the steroid pills. They mask infection because the inflammation shuts down.

Wow.

If it makes you feel any better...I don't get cold sores on my lip or my eye...would you believe I get them on the end of my left index finger? About 15 years ago - for 3 years in a row I developed a weird 'infection' along the cuticle of my finger. (All during high stress times). The third time was terrible. It was preceeded by pain shooting down my arm into my finger - I kept trying to tell the doctors that I didn't think it was your average infected hangnail. I was in so much pain I could hardly move my hand or my arm. They sliced it open twice, and put me on anti-biotics. Then a few days later I got up and had a bright red line running up the inside of my arm. I went to ER and the doctor there noticed the tiny brown 'blisters' inside the 'infection'. They had to treat the new infection with IV penicillin - but he told me that what I had was a herpetic whitlow (not sure of exact spelling). Same explanation they gave you Beverly - the chicken pox/shingles type virus. Yours is in your eye - mine apparently is in my shoulder and can sort of blister down the nerve into my finger. The doctor was horrified that the other doctors had been slicing it open - there was a high danger of infecting my eyes or my baby's eyes (he was one at the time). It's a miracle it didn't spread.

I saw a dermatologist that specializes in this and he confirmed the diagnosis. After that - it never came back.

I am very glad that you took care of this - and that you're doctor took this seriously enough to see you right away. Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone with the weird 'cold sore places'

Re: How the stress from foot pain can lead to something serious somewhere else/eye doc just saved my eye else.

Nancy S. on 6/26/00 at 14:39 (022438)

Beverly! I don't know what happened. I wrote you a whole post about your eye experience over the weekend, and it got ditched in a hole somewhere. I see that instead two posts of Judy's and mine appeared here. And they both have my name on them. I guess cosmic coincidence happened, two people hitting the 'post' button at the exact same moment or something. I can't remember what I said to you, but I do know I was glad your eye got saved. I might also have written in that post about Sonomas -- or is that somewhere else? I don't know anymore, and it's not a clear day over here in my brain. Hope yours is doing better! --Nancy

JudyS on 6/26/00 at 15:27 (022440)

Oh No! It's the Judy/Nancy Nancy/Judy post ghost at work!.....
'specially given that MY brain is habitually unclear!
I too have been wondering about your eye, Beverly......let us know, 'K?

Re: Update to Wendy, Nancy, Judy

Beverly on 6/26/00 at 18:10 (022450)

Hi Wendy, Nancy, and Judy,

Thanks for all your support. I've been trying to limit my computer time(help give my eye a rest).

It still hurts, but I think it's getting better. I'm being monitored.
My eye doctor looked at it today and said he sees no sign of infection now. I have a follow up appointment on Friday. In the meantime, I am being tapered off the drops... can't go off them cold turkey.
Trying to give my eyes a break... rest from eye strain.

I'm just thankful that I turned down the cortizone. I was actually offered it by pod #2 last week and tabled the offer. I'm so glad I did now. At the time, I turned it down, because of my fear of it causing my foot to get worse and not better, plus the pain. But the effect on the immune system was ever present in my mind.

Wendy, that thing with your arm sounds awful! But thank God you didn't get it in your eye or in the baby's eye. I'm noticing that a number of us have had other chronic health issues besides the feet. I can't help but wonder about the connection. Besides PF, I've had: food allergies/Candida, a kidney stone, Endometriosis, upper body injury, Iritis (serious inflammatory condition in the eye), inflammation in my upper intestine, Tennis Elbow, and Epstein Barr. That's what I can remember off the top of my head. Fortunately, they didn't come all at once, and they are all either gone now or under control (except for the PF). I am seeing a pattern in my own health in terms of a tendency towards inflammation. Given the current state of my foot and inflammation there, it does make one wonder. Whenever inflammation is involved, it seems to take me longer than the average person to bounce back.

See ya,
Beverly

wendyn on 6/24/00 at 16:38 (022336)

Wow - and it's a really good thing you didn't take the steroid pills. They mask infection because the inflammation shuts down.

Wow.

If it makes you feel any better...I don't get cold sores on my lip or my eye...would you believe I get them on the end of my left index finger? About 15 years ago - for 3 years in a row I developed a weird 'infection' along the cuticle of my finger. (All during high stress times). The third time was terrible. It was preceeded by pain shooting down my arm into my finger - I kept trying to tell the doctors that I didn't think it was your average infected hangnail. I was in so much pain I could hardly move my hand or my arm. They sliced it open twice, and put me on anti-biotics. Then a few days later I got up and had a bright red line running up the inside of my arm. I went to ER and the doctor there noticed the tiny brown 'blisters' inside the 'infection'. They had to treat the new infection with IV penicillin - but he told me that what I had was a herpetic whitlow (not sure of exact spelling). Same explanation they gave you Beverly - the chicken pox/shingles type virus. Yours is in your eye - mine apparently is in my shoulder and can sort of blister down the nerve into my finger. The doctor was horrified that the other doctors had been slicing it open - there was a high danger of infecting my eyes or my baby's eyes (he was one at the time). It's a miracle it didn't spread.

I saw a dermatologist that specializes in this and he confirmed the diagnosis. After that - it never came back.

I am very glad that you took care of this - and that you're doctor took this seriously enough to see you right away. Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone with the weird 'cold sore places'

Nancy S. on 6/26/00 at 14:39 (022438)

Beverly! I don't know what happened. I wrote you a whole post about your eye experience over the weekend, and it got ditched in a hole somewhere. I see that instead two posts of Judy's and mine appeared here. And they both have my name on them. I guess cosmic coincidence happened, two people hitting the 'post' button at the exact same moment or something. I can't remember what I said to you, but I do know I was glad your eye got saved. I might also have written in that post about Sonomas -- or is that somewhere else? I don't know anymore, and it's not a clear day over here in my brain. Hope yours is doing better! --Nancy

JudyS on 6/26/00 at 15:27 (022440)

Oh No! It's the Judy/Nancy Nancy/Judy post ghost at work!.....
'specially given that MY brain is habitually unclear!
I too have been wondering about your eye, Beverly......let us know, 'K?

Re: Update to Wendy, Nancy, Judy

Beverly on 6/26/00 at 18:10 (022450)

Hi Wendy, Nancy, and Judy,

Thanks for all your support. I've been trying to limit my computer time(help give my eye a rest).

It still hurts, but I think it's getting better. I'm being monitored.
My eye doctor looked at it today and said he sees no sign of infection now. I have a follow up appointment on Friday. In the meantime, I am being tapered off the drops... can't go off them cold turkey.
Trying to give my eyes a break... rest from eye strain.

I'm just thankful that I turned down the cortizone. I was actually offered it by pod #2 last week and tabled the offer. I'm so glad I did now. At the time, I turned it down, because of my fear of it causing my foot to get worse and not better, plus the pain. But the effect on the immune system was ever present in my mind.

Wendy, that thing with your arm sounds awful! But thank God you didn't get it in your eye or in the baby's eye. I'm noticing that a number of us have had other chronic health issues besides the feet. I can't help but wonder about the connection. Besides PF, I've had: food allergies/Candida, a kidney stone, Endometriosis, upper body injury, Iritis (serious inflammatory condition in the eye), inflammation in my upper intestine, Tennis Elbow, and Epstein Barr. That's what I can remember off the top of my head. Fortunately, they didn't come all at once, and they are all either gone now or under control (except for the PF). I am seeing a pattern in my own health in terms of a tendency towards inflammation. Given the current state of my foot and inflammation there, it does make one wonder. Whenever inflammation is involved, it seems to take me longer than the average person to bounce back.

See ya,
Beverly