Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

catching up.......

Posted by JudyS on 6/24/00 at 16:57 (022338)

I thank you all and my feet thank you all because we just stayed off them for over 2 hours just by reading all the posts I've missed in the last ten days! Plus, it's way too hot to go out and do the neglected yard work!
First, I would highly recommend the city of Portland, Maine for a vacation destination. My husband and I had an absolutely marvelous time there. The port/downtown area is beautifully maintained as a tourist attraction and the natural environment is breathtaking. We stayed in a cape-cod south of the city on the 'Scarborough Marsh'. In fact, our own Nancy S used to live next door to that house!
I can't say enough about our visit with Nancy and her husband. They treated us to a very pleasant dinner and a rewarding visit. I will presumptiously say that the four of us 'clicked' and I, at least, look forward to a long friendship. Now, if she'll let me spend the next several summers exploring every item in her barn I'll die happy! She graciously sent me on my way with a handful of treasured items that are now proudly perched in prime spots around the house!

I do have some PF experiences to share with you but will break here with a hearty 'Thankyou!' to Nancy and her husband - can't wait to do it again!

Re: catching up.......

Nancy S. on 6/24/00 at 17:40 (022343)

Welcome back, Judy! How did your feet do in Boston, anyhow? You know the feeling was definitely mutual on both our parts over here -- you guys were really great company and please come back any time. I'm totally enjoying the California gifts, never had any before, and I want everyone here to know that Judy makes a very beautiful tablecloth.
So let's have the second news report soon, Judy -- how are those feet? I suppose you've read about mine. They went downhill since you were here. My spirit is trying to remain stable -- so far so good, for the most part. Do those Walmart shoes still work for you? --Nancy

JudyS on 6/24/00 at 17:57 (022346)

Hey Nancy - Yep, I've been reading about your tendonitis and I'm so sorry for you! I couldn't believe it. I really do think that there's such a thing as too much rest leading to other 'weakness' problems. Oh but wait - I'm not a doctor!
Anyway, my husband and I figured out very quickly why you moved away from Boston. It definately has its charm (in quantity) and history but......it looks like planning needs some help. It's pretty overcrowded. And we now know that LA actually doesn't have the worst traffic in the world! Having said that, we definately need more time there on our next visit. Seeing the historical sites is no good without time and pain-free feet!
glad you're off your feet today!

Nancy S. on 6/24/00 at 18:14 (022348)

But Dr. S, you may be right. I can't figure it out. My PF absolutely had to have that rest, and maybe I didn't do enough nonweightbearing stuff to offset the achilles tendonitis. But now I'm ordered MORE rest, so is that going to create even more problems or what? Sorry, you don't have to make something up if you don't know!
When it began a couple of months ago, I did begin to suspect my beloved Birks, so I was alternating between them and no-orthotics hiking boots. But the tendonitis got so bad that I can't stand to wear the boots, or anything else around my ankles.
I have a Futuro ankle support, but I can't wear it because of the swelling (it's stretchy but tight and the tightness can't be altered). I'm thinking of getting two ankle wraps that are attached with velcro so I could get the right tightness myself. They would also lift my heel up a little bit in the Birks, I think. The thought that there's even a possibility I couldn't wear Birks because of this thing drives me right up the wall.
Ya, did we forget to warn you? Boston has THE worst drivers. I remember driving around there in the early days and I followed a guy making a left turn where it wasn't allowed (I didn't know). A cop pulled me over for it, and I said, 'But I don't know my way around here, I just followed that guy ahead of me.' And he said, 'Miss, don't EVER follow a Boston driver.'
--Nancy

Re: Never follow a Boston driver

Bob G. on 6/27/00 at 00:38 (022465)

Ok you two, you've had enough fun. Between sightseeing, barnstorming and wine tasting you have made us all very jealous.

Hey, look at me! Fifteen weeks pain-free...wanna know how?

From the many new posts that I am looking at on this Board I noticeed a lac k of REST acknowledgement. I spent the last weekend RESTING in Sacramento (of all places, not giving out names) and am feeling quick friskie in the foot, thank you.

Hope you all are doing fine - same here! BG

PS - Rest is the best cure...

Nancy S. on 6/27/00 at 04:52 (022471)

Well Bob, I think I detected no lack of fun in your own weekend, so don't worry!
I think you should exclude me specifically when you say you noticed lack of rest acknowledgment on the board lately. Oh yes, I'm resting more again -- and going nuts! I'm working on my brain to try to bring the nuts level down to an acceptable range. If that doesn't work, lobotomy? --Nancy

Nancy S. on 6/24/00 at 17:40 (022343)

Welcome back, Judy! How did your feet do in Boston, anyhow? You know the feeling was definitely mutual on both our parts over here -- you guys were really great company and please come back any time. I'm totally enjoying the California gifts, never had any before, and I want everyone here to know that Judy makes a very beautiful tablecloth.
So let's have the second news report soon, Judy -- how are those feet? I suppose you've read about mine. They went downhill since you were here. My spirit is trying to remain stable -- so far so good, for the most part. Do those Walmart shoes still work for you? --Nancy

JudyS on 6/24/00 at 17:57 (022346)

Hey Nancy - Yep, I've been reading about your tendonitis and I'm so sorry for you! I couldn't believe it. I really do think that there's such a thing as too much rest leading to other 'weakness' problems. Oh but wait - I'm not a doctor!
Anyway, my husband and I figured out very quickly why you moved away from Boston. It definately has its charm (in quantity) and history but......it looks like planning needs some help. It's pretty overcrowded. And we now know that LA actually doesn't have the worst traffic in the world! Having said that, we definately need more time there on our next visit. Seeing the historical sites is no good without time and pain-free feet!
glad you're off your feet today!

Nancy S. on 6/24/00 at 18:14 (022348)

But Dr. S, you may be right. I can't figure it out. My PF absolutely had to have that rest, and maybe I didn't do enough nonweightbearing stuff to offset the achilles tendonitis. But now I'm ordered MORE rest, so is that going to create even more problems or what? Sorry, you don't have to make something up if you don't know!
When it began a couple of months ago, I did begin to suspect my beloved Birks, so I was alternating between them and no-orthotics hiking boots. But the tendonitis got so bad that I can't stand to wear the boots, or anything else around my ankles.
I have a Futuro ankle support, but I can't wear it because of the swelling (it's stretchy but tight and the tightness can't be altered). I'm thinking of getting two ankle wraps that are attached with velcro so I could get the right tightness myself. They would also lift my heel up a little bit in the Birks, I think. The thought that there's even a possibility I couldn't wear Birks because of this thing drives me right up the wall.
Ya, did we forget to warn you? Boston has THE worst drivers. I remember driving around there in the early days and I followed a guy making a left turn where it wasn't allowed (I didn't know). A cop pulled me over for it, and I said, 'But I don't know my way around here, I just followed that guy ahead of me.' And he said, 'Miss, don't EVER follow a Boston driver.'
--Nancy

Bob G. on 6/27/00 at 00:38 (022465)

Ok you two, you've had enough fun. Between sightseeing, barnstorming and wine tasting you have made us all very jealous.

Hey, look at me! Fifteen weeks pain-free...wanna know how?

From the many new posts that I am looking at on this Board I noticeed a lac k of REST acknowledgement. I spent the last weekend RESTING in Sacramento (of all places, not giving out names) and am feeling quick friskie in the foot, thank you.

Hope you all are doing fine - same here! BG

PS - Rest is the best cure...

Nancy S. on 6/27/00 at 04:52 (022471)

Well Bob, I think I detected no lack of fun in your own weekend, so don't worry!
I think you should exclude me specifically when you say you noticed lack of rest acknowledgment on the board lately. Oh yes, I'm resting more again -- and going nuts! I'm working on my brain to try to bring the nuts level down to an acceptable range. If that doesn't work, lobotomy? --Nancy