Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 weeks post orbasone/pain off an on!!!

Posted by rekha.s on 6/25/00 at 01:56 (022355)

I had orbasone treatment on my left foot in late May. I initially felt good, but then the last 2-3 weeks the pain has gotten worse...which I hear is normal for ossatron, but when I called Dr Brooks's office they said they are not sure of the reason...

Anyone who has had the high energy shockwave out there, Did the pain get intense before things started feeling better? How many weeks does it take?. I think since Dr Brooks office hasn't seen that many patients with PF, they are a little unsure of the post treatment pain...

I am starting to get nervous, and went to 3rd podiatrist, who has started to tape my feet. I didn't tell him of the orbasone, but he says taping will help rest the fascia, and I think it needs rest to heal properly

Can anyone out there give me some hope...? Suggestions...should I go for another treatment? Should I get in a cast?

posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: Orbasone

Re: 4 weeks post orbasone/pain off an on!!!

Mary J. on 6/25/00 at 07:23 (022357)

Dear Rekha, I had the Ossatron a few days before you had your treatment. I didn't know the Orbasone was high power energy. But I am still in pain. One day I think I am getting well, and the next day my foot is in bad pain again. I believe if you read the postings of the Ossatron gang, most of them were that way, too. I guess we just need to wait. Patience is hard, isn't it? Let us hear from you.
Mary J.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: OssaTron

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/25/00 at 08:36 (022359)

I would tape the foot. If the pain continues and it is pin point then a second treatment . I wait six weeks for a second treatment, from the first treatment. Then I determine if a second treatment is needed . Rest taping orthosis removal cast should also be considered before the second treatment.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword:

wendyn on 6/25/00 at 08:57 (022362)

Rekha - why would you go to a doctor, and not tell him about a recent treatment you've received for the condition you're asking him about???? Either go back to the doctor that treated you - or be up front with the new doctor. You can hardly expect a new doctor to help you if you aren't giving him the whole story.

Duane E on 6/26/00 at 02:38 (022409)

If I recall your posts correctly, you had the Orbasone treatment without anesthetic. This is characteristic of low energy ESWT.

If you ask the podiatrist what energy levels were used, he will have to give you the information. It is easy to print the table http://heelspurs.com/eswt/specs.html
and ask him to write in the levels where you were treated.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/26/00 at 19:37 (022455)

IThe treatment was done without any anesthesia. I made the referral to Dr. Brooks who is an orthopedic Surgeon in California. Do you really expect any one to be able to fill these tables out???. Most people can't even understand them. I bet you don't even the focal point of energy that you were treated with, or the mpa that you were with. If you don please post this information.

Duane E on 6/26/00 at 23:37 (022462)

Impatience. Please see: messages/22461.html

rekha.s on 6/27/00 at 01:46 (022468)

I will be contacting Dr Brook's office tomorrow. I have been getting my foot taped, resting, icing and wearing orthotics....following all of the post-treatment protocol. I really was hoping for some difference by now, but am getting discouraged.!!!!

The technician told me the machine was high-energy. (I went to ossatron home page and copied down criteria for low, mid and high range, and showed it to tech, who said it was high energy.) I did it without anesthesia, and the technician assured me the more discomfort I could take during treatment, the better off I will be in the long run. Only now the treated foot feels worse.

Does the foot get worse before feeling better?

Re: to dr Zuckerman:

rekha.s on 6/27/00 at 02:01 (022469)

I have noticed that my achilles tendon feels like it is sore, and therefore is snapping like it did when I had achilles tendonitis. Could this be a factor in the pain? I think after the orbasone I started tip toeing while at my cousin's at LA. Walking wierdly maybe caused the achilles tendon to act up. I have also been using night splint on the left treated heel, does this aggrevate achilles tendonitis? I think I remember reading that.

In answer to Wendy's ques: I went to this new podiatrist who I found had advertised in yellow pages to specialize in management of heel pain. I didn't want to mention orbasone, because in my experience, podiatrist's in the San Francisco Bay Area are just not well informed on the procedure and think it is quackery. This is podiatrist #5. Since his treatment for heel pain is constant taping, and TLC as he says, I found no reason to tell him, since taping is what I need to rest the fascia.

DR. Zuckerman on 6/27/00 at 10:20 (022486)

Taping or low dye strapping is an excellent treatment for pf and achilles tendonitsis Yes achilles tendonitis can cause pf and or aggravate the condition . Both area function together in the walking cycle.

Mary J. on 6/25/00 at 07:23 (022357)

Dear Rekha, I had the Ossatron a few days before you had your treatment. I didn't know the Orbasone was high power energy. But I am still in pain. One day I think I am getting well, and the next day my foot is in bad pain again. I believe if you read the postings of the Ossatron gang, most of them were that way, too. I guess we just need to wait. Patience is hard, isn't it? Let us hear from you.
Mary J.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: OssaTron

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/25/00 at 08:36 (022359)

I would tape the foot. If the pain continues and it is pin point then a second treatment . I wait six weeks for a second treatment, from the first treatment. Then I determine if a second treatment is needed . Rest taping orthosis removal cast should also be considered before the second treatment.

wendyn on 6/25/00 at 08:57 (022362)

Rekha - why would you go to a doctor, and not tell him about a recent treatment you've received for the condition you're asking him about???? Either go back to the doctor that treated you - or be up front with the new doctor. You can hardly expect a new doctor to help you if you aren't giving him the whole story.

Duane E on 6/26/00 at 02:38 (022409)

If I recall your posts correctly, you had the Orbasone treatment without anesthetic. This is characteristic of low energy ESWT.

If you ask the podiatrist what energy levels were used, he will have to give you the information. It is easy to print the table http://heelspurs.com/eswt/specs.html
and ask him to write in the levels where you were treated.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/26/00 at 19:37 (022455)

IThe treatment was done without any anesthesia. I made the referral to Dr. Brooks who is an orthopedic Surgeon in California. Do you really expect any one to be able to fill these tables out???. Most people can't even understand them. I bet you don't even the focal point of energy that you were treated with, or the mpa that you were with. If you don please post this information.

Duane E on 6/26/00 at 23:37 (022462)

Impatience. Please see: messages/22461.html

rekha.s on 6/27/00 at 01:46 (022468)

I will be contacting Dr Brook's office tomorrow. I have been getting my foot taped, resting, icing and wearing orthotics....following all of the post-treatment protocol. I really was hoping for some difference by now, but am getting discouraged.!!!!

The technician told me the machine was high-energy. (I went to ossatron home page and copied down criteria for low, mid and high range, and showed it to tech, who said it was high energy.) I did it without anesthesia, and the technician assured me the more discomfort I could take during treatment, the better off I will be in the long run. Only now the treated foot feels worse.

Does the foot get worse before feeling better?

rekha.s on 6/27/00 at 02:01 (022469)

I have noticed that my achilles tendon feels like it is sore, and therefore is snapping like it did when I had achilles tendonitis. Could this be a factor in the pain? I think after the orbasone I started tip toeing while at my cousin's at LA. Walking wierdly maybe caused the achilles tendon to act up. I have also been using night splint on the left treated heel, does this aggrevate achilles tendonitis? I think I remember reading that.

In answer to Wendy's ques: I went to this new podiatrist who I found had advertised in yellow pages to specialize in management of heel pain. I didn't want to mention orbasone, because in my experience, podiatrist's in the San Francisco Bay Area are just not well informed on the procedure and think it is quackery. This is podiatrist #5. Since his treatment for heel pain is constant taping, and TLC as he says, I found no reason to tell him, since taping is what I need to rest the fascia.

DR. Zuckerman on 6/27/00 at 10:20 (022486)

Taping or low dye strapping is an excellent treatment for pf and achilles tendonitsis Yes achilles tendonitis can cause pf and or aggravate the condition . Both area function together in the walking cycle.