Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anxiety on the rise

Posted by Pauline on 6/26/00 at 18:37 (022452)

My PF has got me down today. Like the rest of you my progress is very
slow if any at times. This in inself is very discouraging. To add to matters I am facing a major reconstructive surgery the first of Aug
out of state. I am scheduled to have the surgery and remain there
until I am able to travel back home.

To be sucessful, I feel like I need to really be up for this surgery
since my family and friends will be so far away---yet with the PF I'm feeling on a down hill slide. I don't even know if the PF will affect my recovery after surgery. I worry how my body can repair the PF and then complicate it with additional surgery.

Has anyone been sucessful having surgery along with PF. If my body
can't get rid of the inflammation it already has what is it going to do with more. If this subject is wrong Scott, I'm sorry for posting, but I would really like to know my chances for healing when PF is a complication. The tension headaches are already starting.

Re: Anxiety on the rise

wendyn on 6/26/00 at 21:39 (022459)

I don't know about surgery - but many of us have found we have improved after an illness. Many illnesses (and surgeries)force you to rest in a way that you would not for your feet.

Perhaps the extra rest will help you....

Here's hoping anyway.....take care!!!

john h on 6/27/00 at 09:51 (022480)

understand your anxiety as i have been there. if your surgery requires walking as an important part of recovery discuss with your doctor other forms of activity which you might do. do not be afraid to ask for some of the anti anxiety medications as they work. in time this will all pass. perhaps the recovery phase of your surgery will give your feet a chance to get some needed rest. rent, borrow a notebook computer and stay connected if possible.

Beverly on 6/27/00 at 10:40 (022492)

Pauline,

I feel for you and like you I battle anxiety with this PF... Who wouldn't? I have to get off the computer soon... not a good day, but I posted a few posts up to Karen something that addresses the anxiety and depression of PF.

I hope you have a better day,
Beverly

Steve P on 6/27/00 at 15:02 (022505)

Pauline --- I gather from your previous posts that you had PF for 2 1/2 years before getting it under control & then went 5 years or so before it flared up again this spring. If you got rid of it (or almost rid of it) once, you can do it again!
Tell yourself that once you get better & the PF is reasonably under control, you'll take special precautions this time to make sure it never comes back. These might include using a foot exercise device such as those mentioned in the PF Book, maybe taking supplements, & above all increasing your activity level VERY slowly over time. (These are also the things I plan to do, since I am in the same situation.)
Now, please keep your chin up. You CAN & WILL do it !!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/28/00 at 07:20 (022547)

Good luck with your surgery. Please don't dismiss the anxiety of pain. It is a separate problem and will only interfere with your recovery. Talk to your doctor about medication such as prozac,effexor, etc to help you get thru this. There are some great medications out there and you don't have to feel this way. I refer many patients for anxiety, depresssion etc and make sure it isn't dismissed. It is very real !!!!

wendyn on 6/26/00 at 21:39 (022459)

I don't know about surgery - but many of us have found we have improved after an illness. Many illnesses (and surgeries)force you to rest in a way that you would not for your feet.

Perhaps the extra rest will help you....

Here's hoping anyway.....take care!!!

john h on 6/27/00 at 09:51 (022480)

understand your anxiety as i have been there. if your surgery requires walking as an important part of recovery discuss with your doctor other forms of activity which you might do. do not be afraid to ask for some of the anti anxiety medications as they work. in time this will all pass. perhaps the recovery phase of your surgery will give your feet a chance to get some needed rest. rent, borrow a notebook computer and stay connected if possible.

Beverly on 6/27/00 at 10:40 (022492)

Pauline,

I feel for you and like you I battle anxiety with this PF... Who wouldn't? I have to get off the computer soon... not a good day, but I posted a few posts up to Karen something that addresses the anxiety and depression of PF.

I hope you have a better day,
Beverly

Steve P on 6/27/00 at 15:02 (022505)

Pauline --- I gather from your previous posts that you had PF for 2 1/2 years before getting it under control & then went 5 years or so before it flared up again this spring. If you got rid of it (or almost rid of it) once, you can do it again!
Tell yourself that once you get better & the PF is reasonably under control, you'll take special precautions this time to make sure it never comes back. These might include using a foot exercise device such as those mentioned in the PF Book, maybe taking supplements, & above all increasing your activity level VERY slowly over time. (These are also the things I plan to do, since I am in the same situation.)
Now, please keep your chin up. You CAN & WILL do it !!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/28/00 at 07:20 (022547)

Good luck with your surgery. Please don't dismiss the anxiety of pain. It is a separate problem and will only interfere with your recovery. Talk to your doctor about medication such as prozac,effexor, etc to help you get thru this. There are some great medications out there and you don't have to feel this way. I refer many patients for anxiety, depresssion etc and make sure it isn't dismissed. It is very real !!!!