Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ALMOST GIVING UP BECAUSE OF PAIN OF PF

Posted by KAREN S on 6/26/00 at 22:44 (022460)

I AM AT THE POINT OF GIVING UP ON RELIEF OF PAIN FROM PF. I HAVE HAD IT IN MY LEFT FOOT FOR WELL OVER A YEAR, WHERE I CAN BARELY WALK. I CONTINUED WORKING, WHICH IS ON MY FEET ALL DAY, FOR A YEAR AFTER I WAS DIAGNOSED. I'VE GONE THROUGH EVERYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF FOR RELIEF. THIS INCLUDED PT, ICE, DEEP FRICTION RUBS, ULTRA SOUND, LASER, STRETCHES, ACCUPUNCTURE, ROLLING A TENNIS BALL UNDER MY HEEL,CORTISONE SHOTS, TAPING OF MY FOOT, CUSTOM MADE ORTHOTICS AND HEEL CUSHIONS. NEEDLESS TO SAY NOTHING HAS HELPED. THE ANTI-INFLAMMATORIES DO NOTHING AS WELL.

I AM ABOUT TO HAVE SURGERY IN 3 DAYS ON JUNE 29 TH TO HAVE THE MUSCLE CUT AND BE PUT IN A CAST FOR 6 WEEKS. AFTER READING SOME OF THE OUTCOMES ON THIS SITE I'M STARTING TO WONDER. I AM GETTING VERY NERVOUS NOW AND HOPE I AM MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE. ALL I KNOW IS I COULDN'T GO ON WORKING IN THE PAIN I'VE BEEN IN AND WE HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING ELSE.

IT'S VERY DISCOURAGING WHEN PEOPLE DON'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH PAIN THIS CAN CAUSE OR THINK IT CAN'T BE AS BAD AS YOU MAKE IT OUT TO BE. FROM THE WAY I'VE BEEN LIMPING FOR SO LONG IT HAS ALSO CAUSED ALOT OF PAIN IN MY HIPS. I CAN'T EVEN ESCAPE THE PAIN WHEN I'M SLEEPING.

ANYWAY, I WILL LET YOUS KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AFTER SURGERY. WISH ME LUCK.

THANK YOU....KAREN

Re: Why not try what works...

Bob G. on 6/27/00 at 00:22 (022464)

Karen, I wish you well. You did not mention REST. That is what brought me back. And I don't mean 10 minutes of rest - more like 10 months off your feet.

Hey, there are many hundreds out there like you...lucky you found this web site.

Pain-free 15 weeks thanks to REST, NightSplint and lots of Patience.

Be well. BG

Re: ALMOST GIVING UP BECAUSE OF PAIN OF PF

Pauline on 6/27/00 at 08:19 (022474)

Karen,
I wish you well. I personally would never have the surgery because
I know from past experience (I had PF for 2 1/2 years the first time)
it can go away. This time I don't know what will happen but I'm going to wait because many of the surgeries don't seem to turn out very well and down the road what is left after surgery if you have problems from the surgery itself, more surgery? I would try ESWT in Canada first if I was a candidate. Hopefully the OssaTron will be approved soon. Best of luck, I'll pray for a great outcome and a speedy recovery. Let us know your progress after surgery---it may
change our mind.

KAREN on 6/27/00 at 08:30 (022476)

BOB: REST, OH YA! I'VE BEEN OFF WORK WITH REST NOW FOR 4 MTHS, AND FOR 4 MTHS BEFORE THAT AT WORK I WAS ON WORK FOR 1 HR THEN OFF SITTING WITH MY FOOT UP FOR AN HOUR. REST HAS DONE NOTHING FOR THE THROBBING PAIN I HAVE CONSTANTLY.

Susan S on 6/27/00 at 08:34 (022477)

Agian, here I am agreeing with Bob. The phrase that I was told when I first came on the board was 'extreme rest'. Extreme rest means to plant yourself and keep yourself down. It is also extremely hard to do. We all agree that we are Type As but I believe that is one of the things that lead me back to as normal a lifestyle as we can expect. I don't think I will ever be 100% but right now 90% is Wonderful!

john h on 6/27/00 at 09:45 (022479)

i would also try the orbasone, sonnocur, or ossatron first. i know you have to pay yourself and that may be a problem. ossatron and sonnocur in canada or orbasone in jersey,chicago, and california. in your message you talk about surgery and cutting the 'muscle'. i hope you mean releasing a portion of the fascia. i for one do no dismiss surgery as a lot of people are cured with surgery and as with any surgery there are alway certain risk. if you are having or had surgery look for a surgeon (as dr z says) that has performed at least 100 releases.

Beverly on 6/27/00 at 10:37 (022491)

Karen,

I don't know enough about surgery to even comment. But I do want you to know that I feel for you and I know that PF brings along anxiety and depression. And as someone just posted, for us type A's, extreme rest is difficult. I'm still trying to figure out how much 'rest' is enough for me. One thing I am learning is that I have to really pace myself.
If I go to the grocery store, even on the electric cart, then I need to spend the rest of the day at home. If I sweep and mop the kitchen, then I need to wait a day or two to vac or clean the bathroom. I'm even discovering that I need to monitor how much I sit at my computer if I'm not having a good day.

The only suggestion I have is something I'm about to try and that is therapy. I resisted for awhile... expense and all. But I have decided that a short course of therapy will be cheaper in the long run if it helps me cope with my present situation. I think as many of us have written the anxiety, fear, and depression that go along with PF are as bad as the PF itself... that fear of am I ever going to get better.
I am hoping that therapy will help me get my 'what if' and 'when am I ever going to get better?' and 'Is this ever going to go away?' ... related fears under control. So, that's a thought.

Good Luck,
Beverly

Steve P on 6/27/00 at 15:08 (022507)

Karen --- Some tough PF cases have been resolved by use of a cast only (no surgery). Some casts are removable & some are walking casts. You may want to consider this option before surgery.

Laurie R on 6/27/00 at 17:22 (022517)

Hi to all ,Steve I am glad you posted this I was just about to do so my self.I was in a hard cast for 9 weeks just a few weeks ago ,not only do I have PF I also have TTS the cast really helped my PF alot ,this is something for you to think about ,for me it does work.My best to you .Laurie R

Re: Why not try what works... --to Susan S.

Nancy S. on 6/27/00 at 17:30 (022519)

Hi Susan, are you really 90%? That's wonderful! It seems like not too long ago you were quite a bit less than that, if I remember right. Has rest been the main thing, and is there anything else you started to do differently that brought you to this level? Congratulations, I'm very happy for you --Nancy

BJC on 6/27/00 at 20:35 (022528)

Karen, Good luck with your surgery. I have been very happy with my outcome, although it has not been an instant cure. 5 months post op I am able to do everything I need and want to, although I still use orthotics in Reeboks. I have NO PAIN in shoes! You will be better...don't let others get you down! Remember, 95% of people having surgery are better afterward, and you will be one of them! Be patient, and God bless.

KAREN S on 6/27/00 at 20:56 (022534)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT. I REALLY NEED IT AT THIS TIME.

THANKS...KAREN

Dawn F on 6/27/00 at 21:17 (022536)

Just curious, how did you pay the bills when you were not working for ten months?

Re: Best wishes

Bob G. on 6/28/00 at 00:00 (022540)

Karen, I am hoping your surgery is a success! Best wishes. BG

Bob G. on 6/28/00 at 00:02 (022541)

Dawn, I did not say or imply that I quit working. We all have many marketable skills. Like anyone else, I use mine to earn a living.

Nancy S. on 6/28/00 at 07:08 (022546)

Karen S. -- You sound like you've tried A LOT of conservative measures. I wish you the very best with the surgery and hope you have a great outcome. --Nancy S.

Susan S on 6/28/00 at 10:13 (022558)

YES!! 90%!! They are still a little achey at night and I am still religious about all the things I've been doing. Like I said before, normal has taken on a new definition. I couldn't tell you what has brought on the sudden change. I went to the ortho to plead for surgery and he told me that he has never seen anyone have enough improvement to warrant the risks and convinced me to try another shot. Since he had not given me the first two and that was his last suggestion rather than his first, I relented. He gave me a shot in my right. I'd had two previously in my left which was markedly worse. The plan was to take a shot in my right, and go back and discuss either a last shot in my left or a cast. I went back three days later and was experiencing so much relief from the shot that I didn't have anything done. I was his last appointment and we actually held my 'office ' visit in his waiting area. I did join the health club and lost 10 pounds since then which was his suggestion the last time I saw him. Other than that, I have just kept on keeping the faith!

I have been hesitant to get into the shots debate lately because of mt experience. I had two shots from the pod that were horrible experiences and then this last wonderful shot from the ortho that was painfree and actaully helped me out!

Bob on 6/28/00 at 17:18 (022582)

Hi Luarie;
We have PF and TTS in common. You said the cast helped the PF. How did it affect yout TTS?
Sedintary in San Diego,

Re: ALMOST GIVING UP BECAUSE OF PAIN OF PFRe bob

Laurie R on 6/28/00 at 17:31 (022583)

Hi Bob,
How long have you have PF and TTS??? Have you tried a hard cast yet? This seem to be the only thing that has helped with the pain. Now you asked if it helped with the TTS ,my foot still got numb yes it did help it ,since the cast has come off the numbing has been gone. I am off work due to this on workmans comp because this all started 1 year ago when I twisted my foot at work and jumping up and down to grab bottles I have been a bartender for almpst 17 years .I hope one day this will be gone so I can go back to work I have lost so much money but my foot is more important . My best to you. Laurie R

Bob G. on 6/27/00 at 00:22 (022464)

Karen, I wish you well. You did not mention REST. That is what brought me back. And I don't mean 10 minutes of rest - more like 10 months off your feet.

Hey, there are many hundreds out there like you...lucky you found this web site.

Pain-free 15 weeks thanks to REST, NightSplint and lots of Patience.

Be well. BG

Pauline on 6/27/00 at 08:19 (022474)

Karen,
I wish you well. I personally would never have the surgery because
I know from past experience (I had PF for 2 1/2 years the first time)
it can go away. This time I don't know what will happen but I'm going to wait because many of the surgeries don't seem to turn out very well and down the road what is left after surgery if you have problems from the surgery itself, more surgery? I would try ESWT in Canada first if I was a candidate. Hopefully the OssaTron will be approved soon. Best of luck, I'll pray for a great outcome and a speedy recovery. Let us know your progress after surgery---it may
change our mind.

KAREN on 6/27/00 at 08:30 (022476)

BOB: REST, OH YA! I'VE BEEN OFF WORK WITH REST NOW FOR 4 MTHS, AND FOR 4 MTHS BEFORE THAT AT WORK I WAS ON WORK FOR 1 HR THEN OFF SITTING WITH MY FOOT UP FOR AN HOUR. REST HAS DONE NOTHING FOR THE THROBBING PAIN I HAVE CONSTANTLY.

Susan S on 6/27/00 at 08:34 (022477)

Agian, here I am agreeing with Bob. The phrase that I was told when I first came on the board was 'extreme rest'. Extreme rest means to plant yourself and keep yourself down. It is also extremely hard to do. We all agree that we are Type As but I believe that is one of the things that lead me back to as normal a lifestyle as we can expect. I don't think I will ever be 100% but right now 90% is Wonderful!

john h on 6/27/00 at 09:45 (022479)

i would also try the orbasone, sonnocur, or ossatron first. i know you have to pay yourself and that may be a problem. ossatron and sonnocur in canada or orbasone in jersey,chicago, and california. in your message you talk about surgery and cutting the 'muscle'. i hope you mean releasing a portion of the fascia. i for one do no dismiss surgery as a lot of people are cured with surgery and as with any surgery there are alway certain risk. if you are having or had surgery look for a surgeon (as dr z says) that has performed at least 100 releases.

Beverly on 6/27/00 at 10:37 (022491)

Karen,

I don't know enough about surgery to even comment. But I do want you to know that I feel for you and I know that PF brings along anxiety and depression. And as someone just posted, for us type A's, extreme rest is difficult. I'm still trying to figure out how much 'rest' is enough for me. One thing I am learning is that I have to really pace myself.
If I go to the grocery store, even on the electric cart, then I need to spend the rest of the day at home. If I sweep and mop the kitchen, then I need to wait a day or two to vac or clean the bathroom. I'm even discovering that I need to monitor how much I sit at my computer if I'm not having a good day.

The only suggestion I have is something I'm about to try and that is therapy. I resisted for awhile... expense and all. But I have decided that a short course of therapy will be cheaper in the long run if it helps me cope with my present situation. I think as many of us have written the anxiety, fear, and depression that go along with PF are as bad as the PF itself... that fear of am I ever going to get better.
I am hoping that therapy will help me get my 'what if' and 'when am I ever going to get better?' and 'Is this ever going to go away?' ... related fears under control. So, that's a thought.

Good Luck,
Beverly

Steve P on 6/27/00 at 15:08 (022507)

Karen --- Some tough PF cases have been resolved by use of a cast only (no surgery). Some casts are removable & some are walking casts. You may want to consider this option before surgery.

Laurie R on 6/27/00 at 17:22 (022517)

Hi to all ,Steve I am glad you posted this I was just about to do so my self.I was in a hard cast for 9 weeks just a few weeks ago ,not only do I have PF I also have TTS the cast really helped my PF alot ,this is something for you to think about ,for me it does work.My best to you .Laurie R

Nancy S. on 6/27/00 at 17:30 (022519)

Hi Susan, are you really 90%? That's wonderful! It seems like not too long ago you were quite a bit less than that, if I remember right. Has rest been the main thing, and is there anything else you started to do differently that brought you to this level? Congratulations, I'm very happy for you --Nancy

BJC on 6/27/00 at 20:35 (022528)

Karen, Good luck with your surgery. I have been very happy with my outcome, although it has not been an instant cure. 5 months post op I am able to do everything I need and want to, although I still use orthotics in Reeboks. I have NO PAIN in shoes! You will be better...don't let others get you down! Remember, 95% of people having surgery are better afterward, and you will be one of them! Be patient, and God bless.

KAREN S on 6/27/00 at 20:56 (022534)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT. I REALLY NEED IT AT THIS TIME.

THANKS...KAREN

Dawn F on 6/27/00 at 21:17 (022536)

Just curious, how did you pay the bills when you were not working for ten months?

Re: Best wishes

Bob G. on 6/28/00 at 00:00 (022540)

Karen, I am hoping your surgery is a success! Best wishes. BG

Bob G. on 6/28/00 at 00:02 (022541)

Dawn, I did not say or imply that I quit working. We all have many marketable skills. Like anyone else, I use mine to earn a living.

Nancy S. on 6/28/00 at 07:08 (022546)

Karen S. -- You sound like you've tried A LOT of conservative measures. I wish you the very best with the surgery and hope you have a great outcome. --Nancy S.

Susan S on 6/28/00 at 10:13 (022558)

YES!! 90%!! They are still a little achey at night and I am still religious about all the things I've been doing. Like I said before, normal has taken on a new definition. I couldn't tell you what has brought on the sudden change. I went to the ortho to plead for surgery and he told me that he has never seen anyone have enough improvement to warrant the risks and convinced me to try another shot. Since he had not given me the first two and that was his last suggestion rather than his first, I relented. He gave me a shot in my right. I'd had two previously in my left which was markedly worse. The plan was to take a shot in my right, and go back and discuss either a last shot in my left or a cast. I went back three days later and was experiencing so much relief from the shot that I didn't have anything done. I was his last appointment and we actually held my 'office ' visit in his waiting area. I did join the health club and lost 10 pounds since then which was his suggestion the last time I saw him. Other than that, I have just kept on keeping the faith!

I have been hesitant to get into the shots debate lately because of mt experience. I had two shots from the pod that were horrible experiences and then this last wonderful shot from the ortho that was painfree and actaully helped me out!

Bob on 6/28/00 at 17:18 (022582)

Hi Luarie;
We have PF and TTS in common. You said the cast helped the PF. How did it affect yout TTS?
Sedintary in San Diego,

Re: ALMOST GIVING UP BECAUSE OF PAIN OF PFRe bob

Laurie R on 6/28/00 at 17:31 (022583)

Hi Bob,
How long have you have PF and TTS??? Have you tried a hard cast yet? This seem to be the only thing that has helped with the pain. Now you asked if it helped with the TTS ,my foot still got numb yes it did help it ,since the cast has come off the numbing has been gone. I am off work due to this on workmans comp because this all started 1 year ago when I twisted my foot at work and jumping up and down to grab bottles I have been a bartender for almpst 17 years .I hope one day this will be gone so I can go back to work I have lost so much money but my foot is more important . My best to you. Laurie R