Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Time wounds all heels

Posted by Bob G. on 6/27/00 at 01:19 (022467)

Three PF Sufferers in a pick-up truck drove to a lumberyard. One of them hobbled into the office. 'We need some four-by-twos', he said.

'You must mean two-by-fours,' suggested the clerk.

The fellow, shifting his weight to his good foot, stared blankly for a minute. 'I'll go check,' he said. When he hobbled back into the office he said, 'Yeah, I meant two-by-fours.'

'Okay, how long do you want them?'

The poor PF Sufferer stared blankly again. 'I better go check.' After a lengthy discussion at the truck, he hobbled back to the office.

'A long time,' he replied. 'We're building a house.'

Re: Time wounds all heels

Pauline on 6/27/00 at 08:23 (022475)

Bob,
For as long as the laugh last, it helps.
Thanks

Stephanie S. on 6/27/00 at 09:05 (022478)

Bob....you are definetely the humor on the board. Thanks
for all the laughs. Steph

Jim G. on 6/27/00 at 10:06 (022485)

Along with patience and long-suffering. Bob should know!

Re: Time wounds all heels -- Re: Laughter

Nancy S. on 6/27/00 at 17:08 (022514)

Bob, I enjoyed this joke also, and very much related to the ever-relevant 'shifting his weight to his good foot' line. How familiar!
I had one of those laughs today that send you completely over the edge without even knowing why, and I have to tell you, what a tonic. It won't make any sense probably but I will just briefly tell what happened, because I think it may have released all kinds of sorrow and tension that have built up over the past several months. You had to be there, but . . .
I went to an auction today, one I go to twice a month almost no matter what because I know everyone there and have had lots of help with my antiquing there during all these foot problems, and worse.
Today the auctioneer held up a pair of showshoes and announced them as a nice pair -- but one snowshoe had a gigantic hole in it toward the front of the foot, like a bomb had gone through it. I said to the auctioneer, 'Well Jim, looks like just one snowshoe to me.' And my friend Dick sitting next to me mumbled to me, 'These snowshoes must be from Canada. I hear they have really big snowflakes there.'
I know, sounds like nothing and you had to be there, but it struck me so funny, I started laughing and couldn't stop. I kept trying to stop but couldn't, and then tears started streaming down my face and I didn't know if I was laughing or crying, but the whole human condition hit me and I saw it as very big and very sad&powerful&bizarre&wonderful all at the same time. Finally, since I couldn't stop, I sputtered 'I think I'm going to have to remove myself' and took myself out to the van, trying to cover my face as I exited. And I laughed and cried in the van for ten minutes. (Everyone was yelling at Dick, 'WHAT did you DO to her?')
It really was a beautiful kind of release, of a kind I don't think I've had in many years, and after I returned (with sunglasses on!) I felt so relaxed, almost exhausted except in a peaceful sort of way. I still feel it now and think it might last who knows how long.
I'd been feeling so disappointed over the achilles tendonitis on top of PF, and have had a cool wrap around my ankles all day, and after the big laugh none of this mattered. I know the feet hurt, but I'm not as in touch with the hurt -- I'm more in touch with the uplift the laughter gave me.
So I guess by this post I mean to remind myself, and everyone, to stay open to laughing at life's absurdities, and the small chances to see humor and feel it -- because they truly are a tonic.
--Nancy

Laurie R on 6/27/00 at 17:19 (022516)

Hi Nancy,
What a cute story ,I am so happy you got to laugh it does wonders sometimes and like you said we all need to do it ........My foot has alot of pain today ,but I put alot of ice on it and it is feeling a little bit better.my very best to you Nancy and keep on laughing....... Laurie R

Pauline on 6/27/00 at 08:23 (022475)

Bob,
For as long as the laugh last, it helps.
Thanks

Stephanie S. on 6/27/00 at 09:05 (022478)

Bob....you are definetely the humor on the board. Thanks
for all the laughs. Steph

Jim G. on 6/27/00 at 10:06 (022485)

Along with patience and long-suffering. Bob should know!

Nancy S. on 6/27/00 at 17:08 (022514)

Bob, I enjoyed this joke also, and very much related to the ever-relevant 'shifting his weight to his good foot' line. How familiar!
I had one of those laughs today that send you completely over the edge without even knowing why, and I have to tell you, what a tonic. It won't make any sense probably but I will just briefly tell what happened, because I think it may have released all kinds of sorrow and tension that have built up over the past several months. You had to be there, but . . .
I went to an auction today, one I go to twice a month almost no matter what because I know everyone there and have had lots of help with my antiquing there during all these foot problems, and worse.
Today the auctioneer held up a pair of showshoes and announced them as a nice pair -- but one snowshoe had a gigantic hole in it toward the front of the foot, like a bomb had gone through it. I said to the auctioneer, 'Well Jim, looks like just one snowshoe to me.' And my friend Dick sitting next to me mumbled to me, 'These snowshoes must be from Canada. I hear they have really big snowflakes there.'
I know, sounds like nothing and you had to be there, but it struck me so funny, I started laughing and couldn't stop. I kept trying to stop but couldn't, and then tears started streaming down my face and I didn't know if I was laughing or crying, but the whole human condition hit me and I saw it as very big and very sad&powerful&bizarre&wonderful all at the same time. Finally, since I couldn't stop, I sputtered 'I think I'm going to have to remove myself' and took myself out to the van, trying to cover my face as I exited. And I laughed and cried in the van for ten minutes. (Everyone was yelling at Dick, 'WHAT did you DO to her?')
It really was a beautiful kind of release, of a kind I don't think I've had in many years, and after I returned (with sunglasses on!) I felt so relaxed, almost exhausted except in a peaceful sort of way. I still feel it now and think it might last who knows how long.
I'd been feeling so disappointed over the achilles tendonitis on top of PF, and have had a cool wrap around my ankles all day, and after the big laugh none of this mattered. I know the feet hurt, but I'm not as in touch with the hurt -- I'm more in touch with the uplift the laughter gave me.
So I guess by this post I mean to remind myself, and everyone, to stay open to laughing at life's absurdities, and the small chances to see humor and feel it -- because they truly are a tonic.
--Nancy

Laurie R on 6/27/00 at 17:19 (022516)

Hi Nancy,
What a cute story ,I am so happy you got to laugh it does wonders sometimes and like you said we all need to do it ........My foot has alot of pain today ,but I put alot of ice on it and it is feeling a little bit better.my very best to you Nancy and keep on laughing....... Laurie R