Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Flexibilty survey question.

Posted by Scott R on 6/27/00 at 21:45 (022537)

Please look at the following image and answer the question below for your case.

1) My knees do not touch the wall in either Test A or Test B
2) My knees touch the wall only in Test A.
3) My knees touch the wall in both tests.

Please select your response to the above survey question:
Results
.option 1 = 1 votes . . . voters: webtv.net,
.option 2 = 7 votes . . . voters: sydney.mediums.com, aol.com, home.com, sdn-ar-001txcchrp297.dialsprint.net, home.com, webtv.net, mindspring.com,
.option 3 = 16 votes . . . voters: uu.net, fix.net, aol.com, max4-4.cei.net, msstate.edu, slip-36.bard.edu, radian.com, home.com, knvla010-1120.splitrock.net, , , home.com, ww2.wworx.net, ameritech.net, nome-ts1-p26.nome.net, snfca020-0180.splitrock.net,
.option 4 = 0 votes . . . voters:

Re: Flexibilty survey question.

Rick R on 6/28/00 at 06:49 (022544)

It might be of some interest to note how far away from the wall we can get and still make knee contact.

Nancy S. on 6/28/00 at 07:05 (022545)

Scott, in case this is relevant, the only reason my knees couldn't touch the wall on the second test was the current achilles tendonitis. Actually I could touch it with my right knee, but not my left -- swelling and pain prevented it.
I keep thinking about the database questionnaire -- there are so many questions I would answer differently now.
--Nancy

JudyS on 6/28/00 at 10:01 (022554)

Yes Rick - my thoughts exactly. I had no problem at all with either stretch so I think I'll do my own little experiment!

Beverly on 6/28/00 at 14:27 (022573)

Wow! I couldn't do it when I moved back. Not when I moved my feet back.. even when I moved my feet a little closer. Too much pain. But I am having a very bad day.
I don't know how much that has to do with it. I was shocked to see how little flexiblity I have.

Beverly

JudyS on 6/28/00 at 16:12 (022577)

Beverly Beverly Beverly! Don't have a very bad day - I forbid it!
There, did that work?

What constitutes a very bad day for you? Gotta sit still all day? Can't walk to the nearest bathroom? Pain no matter what? Do you have those cool ice wrap gel things? They are so much more soothing than just an icepack and very easy to use.
Is it too hot for a bubble bath? (It is here!) How do you feel about a six-pack of Hershey Bars? Can you go off to a movie or rent 3 or 4 and SIT STILL all day? Hmmmm.....that's all starting to sound pretty good to me! How about you, Nancy? Shall we all sit around seperately/together today? We could rent the same movie(s) and each have a six-pack of Hershey Bars........

Re: Flexibilty survey question-sself test results

JudyS on 6/28/00 at 16:13 (022578)

My little self-test results are that I can stand back from the wall about one and half times the width of my foot........Scott, do you have a 'mean' by which we can judge?

john h on 6/28/00 at 16:19 (022579)

nancy: excuses,excuses,excuses

Nancy S. on 6/28/00 at 17:42 (022585)

John, ha! Well I flunked a simple test. I couldn't have the teacher and all my classmates thinking that I forgot to study, or that I didn't understand the test question, or that there's something WRONG with me or anything.
--Nancy

Pat M. on 6/28/00 at 20:22 (022604)

Finally, a test I can pass!!!!!!

wendyn on 6/28/00 at 21:26 (022605)

Hmmm. I am overall fairly flexible but I failed your test. I can touch in first one - but cannot even fathom how folks are touching farter back. Bear in mind that I have some other structural problems....but I just got up and tried it again and I just can see how you folks can do that. My knees start to go towards each other when I bend with my feet straight....guess that's why I walk like a duck.

Scott - if it's impossible for me to do this - what tendons are muscles are inflexible or not made right? I've already been told that I have tight heel cords and gastroc muscles - are these the culprits?

I am going to make my family try this - I'd love to see how it's done. I realize I may sound like an idiot but it's just so impossible with me that I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong!

Scott R on 6/28/00 at 22:15 (022611)

I am very happy to see such a good response to the survey question. Two important things I forgot to mention: 1) make sure your heels stay on the ground. 2) this only checks the soleus calf muscle which is very likely much less important than the gastrocnemious for heel pain, but lack of flexibility in one may provide a measure of flexibility in the other. For the database, I desperately need an easy way to measure the gastroc flexibility. Ideas would be welcomed. You can see the current ,ethod on the database page. This is key to many heel pain cases.

Scott R on 6/28/00 at 23:27 (022614)

Please let me know if you were one of the 14 that said they could pass both tests (option 3), but that it required having your heels lift off the ground.

Re: Flexibilty survey question./Message to Judy

Beverly on 6/28/00 at 23:35 (022615)

Gosh, I'm glad there was at least one other person who flunked this test. Perhaps, I was too ambitious on how far away from the wall I placed my toes, but I was up pretty close, and I just couldn't do it.
As I tried to bend, it hurt so much I stopped. Actually, I had to do two ice massages, but I seem to be ok now or no worse than usual.

Judy. Aren't you funny! What constitutes a bad day for me? Well, when the pain feels like it is going so deep that it is down in the bones and it covers not only my heels but my arches and ankles, that it a bad day... It feels like I am walking on something raw. Good days I get around the house fine and a small store the size of the healthfood store, to church okay or out to eat. A bad day is when my feet hurt so much, I can't picture venturing across the parking lot at the good movie theater with the comfty seats. An extra bad day is when it is in both feet and when my mental frame of mind goes South and every step I take hurts.

Chocolates. I wish I could... VERY allergic to chocolate... ditto on no wine or beer for me either - allergic to that too... consquences not worth it... have to settle for muscle relaxers occassionally. (I have a thing about not masking symptoms with pills; so I save them for really bad days.) IT IS NEVER TOO HOT FOR A BATH! I simply turn up the airconditioning. Being Southern for generations, I am used to it being hot and humid. My bath is my sanctuary.

Take Care,
Beverly

Re: Flexibilty survey question./Message to Beverly

Bob G. on 6/29/00 at 00:39 (022619)

If it makes you feel any better, I almost flunked. Another eighth of an inch and my heels were off the floor. And then a hot bath (for the sore knees) and careful not to Twist and Shout (sorry Beatles).

Rick R on 6/29/00 at 06:15 (022625)

I can go about 8 inches away on the surgically repaired left foot and about 4 on the right.

Re: Calculate Your Flexibility

Scott R on 6/29/00 at 07:50 (022628)

If you keep backing your feet away from the wall until your knees barely touch the wall (heels on floor, barefoot) and measure the height to where the middle of your knees touch and the distance to the back of your heel, then this is the dorsiflexion angle for your soleus. Here's some javascript to help you calculate the angle (it divides distance to back of heel by knee heght by and then takes the ATAN to get the angle). The angle is in degrees away from the 'neutral' position (foot perpindicular to leg).

I hope this works.

The distance to back of heel:

The The height to middle of knee where it touches the wall:

Re: Calculate Your Flexibility - Retry

Scott R on 6/29/00 at 07:53 (022630)

It didn't work, try this one.

john h on 6/29/00 at 09:52 (022640)

good test. seems simple enough but when you back away from the wall you feel some tugging and bob i did 'shake it off baby'. my first try i misread and backed away from the wall the length of my foot rather than the width. my wife was observing me and thought i was nuts.

JudyS on 6/29/00 at 09:59 (022642)

Oh Geez - I GREW UP on the Twist and Shout! Our sixth grade teacher would actually let us push the desks back to clear a dance floor so we could twist our little hearts out! So now I'm thinkin' that I established ROOTS for my PF many moons ago!

john h on 6/29/00 at 10:04 (022644)

one way to flunk the test beverly is to have very big feet (ha ha).

Rick R on 6/28/00 at 06:49 (022544)

It might be of some interest to note how far away from the wall we can get and still make knee contact.

Nancy S. on 6/28/00 at 07:05 (022545)

Scott, in case this is relevant, the only reason my knees couldn't touch the wall on the second test was the current achilles tendonitis. Actually I could touch it with my right knee, but not my left -- swelling and pain prevented it.
I keep thinking about the database questionnaire -- there are so many questions I would answer differently now.
--Nancy

JudyS on 6/28/00 at 10:01 (022554)

Yes Rick - my thoughts exactly. I had no problem at all with either stretch so I think I'll do my own little experiment!

Beverly on 6/28/00 at 14:27 (022573)

Wow! I couldn't do it when I moved back. Not when I moved my feet back.. even when I moved my feet a little closer. Too much pain. But I am having a very bad day.
I don't know how much that has to do with it. I was shocked to see how little flexiblity I have.

Beverly

JudyS on 6/28/00 at 16:12 (022577)

Beverly Beverly Beverly! Don't have a very bad day - I forbid it!
There, did that work?

What constitutes a very bad day for you? Gotta sit still all day? Can't walk to the nearest bathroom? Pain no matter what? Do you have those cool ice wrap gel things? They are so much more soothing than just an icepack and very easy to use.
Is it too hot for a bubble bath? (It is here!) How do you feel about a six-pack of Hershey Bars? Can you go off to a movie or rent 3 or 4 and SIT STILL all day? Hmmmm.....that's all starting to sound pretty good to me! How about you, Nancy? Shall we all sit around seperately/together today? We could rent the same movie(s) and each have a six-pack of Hershey Bars........

JudyS on 6/28/00 at 16:13 (022578)

My little self-test results are that I can stand back from the wall about one and half times the width of my foot........Scott, do you have a 'mean' by which we can judge?

john h on 6/28/00 at 16:19 (022579)

nancy: excuses,excuses,excuses

Nancy S. on 6/28/00 at 17:42 (022585)

John, ha! Well I flunked a simple test. I couldn't have the teacher and all my classmates thinking that I forgot to study, or that I didn't understand the test question, or that there's something WRONG with me or anything.
--Nancy

Pat M. on 6/28/00 at 20:22 (022604)

Finally, a test I can pass!!!!!!

wendyn on 6/28/00 at 21:26 (022605)

Hmmm. I am overall fairly flexible but I failed your test. I can touch in first one - but cannot even fathom how folks are touching farter back. Bear in mind that I have some other structural problems....but I just got up and tried it again and I just can see how you folks can do that. My knees start to go towards each other when I bend with my feet straight....guess that's why I walk like a duck.

Scott - if it's impossible for me to do this - what tendons are muscles are inflexible or not made right? I've already been told that I have tight heel cords and gastroc muscles - are these the culprits?

I am going to make my family try this - I'd love to see how it's done. I realize I may sound like an idiot but it's just so impossible with me that I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong!

Scott R on 6/28/00 at 22:15 (022611)

I am very happy to see such a good response to the survey question. Two important things I forgot to mention: 1) make sure your heels stay on the ground. 2) this only checks the soleus calf muscle which is very likely much less important than the gastrocnemious for heel pain, but lack of flexibility in one may provide a measure of flexibility in the other. For the database, I desperately need an easy way to measure the gastroc flexibility. Ideas would be welcomed. You can see the current ,ethod on the database page. This is key to many heel pain cases.

Scott R on 6/28/00 at 23:27 (022614)

Please let me know if you were one of the 14 that said they could pass both tests (option 3), but that it required having your heels lift off the ground.

Beverly on 6/28/00 at 23:35 (022615)

Gosh, I'm glad there was at least one other person who flunked this test. Perhaps, I was too ambitious on how far away from the wall I placed my toes, but I was up pretty close, and I just couldn't do it.
As I tried to bend, it hurt so much I stopped. Actually, I had to do two ice massages, but I seem to be ok now or no worse than usual.

Judy. Aren't you funny! What constitutes a bad day for me? Well, when the pain feels like it is going so deep that it is down in the bones and it covers not only my heels but my arches and ankles, that it a bad day... It feels like I am walking on something raw. Good days I get around the house fine and a small store the size of the healthfood store, to church okay or out to eat. A bad day is when my feet hurt so much, I can't picture venturing across the parking lot at the good movie theater with the comfty seats. An extra bad day is when it is in both feet and when my mental frame of mind goes South and every step I take hurts.

Chocolates. I wish I could... VERY allergic to chocolate... ditto on no wine or beer for me either - allergic to that too... consquences not worth it... have to settle for muscle relaxers occassionally. (I have a thing about not masking symptoms with pills; so I save them for really bad days.) IT IS NEVER TOO HOT FOR A BATH! I simply turn up the airconditioning. Being Southern for generations, I am used to it being hot and humid. My bath is my sanctuary.

Take Care,
Beverly

Bob G. on 6/29/00 at 00:39 (022619)

If it makes you feel any better, I almost flunked. Another eighth of an inch and my heels were off the floor. And then a hot bath (for the sore knees) and careful not to Twist and Shout (sorry Beatles).

Rick R on 6/29/00 at 06:15 (022625)

I can go about 8 inches away on the surgically repaired left foot and about 4 on the right.

Re: Calculate Your Flexibility

Scott R on 6/29/00 at 07:50 (022628)

If you keep backing your feet away from the wall until your knees barely touch the wall (heels on floor, barefoot) and measure the height to where the middle of your knees touch and the distance to the back of your heel, then this is the dorsiflexion angle for your soleus. Here's some javascript to help you calculate the angle (it divides distance to back of heel by knee heght by and then takes the ATAN to get the angle). The angle is in degrees away from the 'neutral' position (foot perpindicular to leg).

I hope this works.

Re: Calculate Your Flexibility - Retry

Scott R on 6/29/00 at 07:53 (022630)

It didn't work, try this one.

john h on 6/29/00 at 09:52 (022640)

good test. seems simple enough but when you back away from the wall you feel some tugging and bob i did 'shake it off baby'. my first try i misread and backed away from the wall the length of my foot rather than the width. my wife was observing me and thought i was nuts.

JudyS on 6/29/00 at 09:59 (022642)

Oh Geez - I GREW UP on the Twist and Shout! Our sixth grade teacher would actually let us push the desks back to clear a dance floor so we could twist our little hearts out! So now I'm thinkin' that I established ROOTS for my PF many moons ago!

john h on 6/29/00 at 10:04 (022644)

one way to flunk the test beverly is to have very big feet (ha ha).