Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions, nerve blocks?

Posted by cindyp on 6/29/00 at 20:18 (022682)

Okay I have seen other posts about nerve blocks. I may i guess have these when I go to pain clinic. What are they? How long do they work? Is it a permanent thing? what kinds of medicines are used? Where are they given the whole nine yards yadda yadda yadda.

Re: Questions, nerve blocks?

dfeet on 6/30/00 at 10:15 (022700)

Hi,cindyp. My last injection was called a nerve block. The orthopod injected me for TTS on one foot only to see if I would get any relief. The injection consisted of Marcaine-a derivative of novocaine-and Dexamethasone-a corticosteriod derivative of cortisone. The placement of the injections were directly(or at least he was aiming for ) into the tarsal tunnel where the nerve bundle is located. He gave me a total of three injections at one time. Each positioned slightly differently,following the course of the nerves. This provided me with about 1-1and1/2 weeks of relief. But it made my foot completely numb(paresthesia).

cindyp on 6/30/00 at 11:08 (022706)

Perhaps I am being hasty as I have not gotten there yet. But when I saw the orthopod and the podiatrist they both asked about cortisone shots and I said no. Then after that the ortho said I wouldn't know where to give the shot anyway. So I am if that is gong to be the case up front say no steroids. Only a week and a half relief. God I wish this could have been longer for you and I think if that is what happens for me I may cry.

Laurie R on 6/30/00 at 11:34 (022708)

Hi Cindy,
I also had the kind of shot in my TTS area to block my nerves like dfeet,but the longest my ever lasted was 12 hours and my also was very numb but no pain. It was given to me for TTS it does work ,it is not a cure just a little something to take the pain away right away.I have had 2 cortisone shots which did nothing for me,these shots don't have cortisone in them I just had one done 1 week ago. To me they do not hurt at all but that is only me. My best to you Cindy,PS I am very sorry you have to wait so long to get in to the pain clinic......Laurie R

dfeet on 6/30/00 at 10:15 (022700)

Hi,cindyp. My last injection was called a nerve block. The orthopod injected me for TTS on one foot only to see if I would get any relief. The injection consisted of Marcaine-a derivative of novocaine-and Dexamethasone-a corticosteriod derivative of cortisone. The placement of the injections were directly(or at least he was aiming for ) into the tarsal tunnel where the nerve bundle is located. He gave me a total of three injections at one time. Each positioned slightly differently,following the course of the nerves. This provided me with about 1-1and1/2 weeks of relief. But it made my foot completely numb(paresthesia).

cindyp on 6/30/00 at 11:08 (022706)

Perhaps I am being hasty as I have not gotten there yet. But when I saw the orthopod and the podiatrist they both asked about cortisone shots and I said no. Then after that the ortho said I wouldn't know where to give the shot anyway. So I am if that is gong to be the case up front say no steroids. Only a week and a half relief. God I wish this could have been longer for you and I think if that is what happens for me I may cry.

Laurie R on 6/30/00 at 11:34 (022708)

Hi Cindy,
I also had the kind of shot in my TTS area to block my nerves like dfeet,but the longest my ever lasted was 12 hours and my also was very numb but no pain. It was given to me for TTS it does work ,it is not a cure just a little something to take the pain away right away.I have had 2 cortisone shots which did nothing for me,these shots don't have cortisone in them I just had one done 1 week ago. To me they do not hurt at all but that is only me. My best to you Cindy,PS I am very sorry you have to wait so long to get in to the pain clinic......Laurie R