Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

arch spasm....

Posted by JudyS on 6/30/00 at 17:19 (022719)

I had the strangest experience this morning. I was having my teeth cleaned when very suddenly one of my arches went in to total, complete, excruciating spasm. I can't begin to describe how painful it was. I threw off my shoe and tried to manipulate the arch but it didn't stop until I stood up and walked. My poor dental hygienist thought she'd stabbed me! Has anyone had that kind of experience?

Re: arch spasm....

Martha B. on 6/30/00 at 17:35 (022720)

Yes, I have had that problem in the past and it is very painful.I would even wake up at nite with them. I started stretching more and they went away. I was having cramps in my calves too. Funny thing-I am a dental hygienist also. Bet you did scare her.

john h on 6/30/00 at 18:38 (022722)

i have had a spasm where the large band of fasca and muscle from the great toe to the heel contracted. yes it really hurts. to stop the pain i pulled my big toe up and held it and the muscle/fascia calmed down.

Truffle on 7/01/00 at 07:17 (022734)

I'd have spasms in my feet and in my calves, during the day and at night. I realised that the pain medication I was on contained sodium to make it effervesant, and after changing to the plain caplet type, the spasms eased off. Try checking the ingredients in all medication you may be taking. T.

alan k on 7/01/00 at 10:02 (022739)

First make sure you are getting plenty of water. In fact, discipline yourself to take in extra water.

Second, eating bannanas and other electrolyte rich foods will help, along with calcium (other than calcium carbonate which doesn't absorb well, though is cheap) and magnesium. 400 I.U. of Vitamin E daily for no more than two weeks should also help with cramps.

The best arch stretch is kneeling with butt on heels, toes tucked under. Also do towel stretch for the calves.

The trigger point for arch spasms is in the calf, inside the mid-line about an inch or two, and down from the knee-crease about 3-5 inches. Press firmly around this area to find the tender spot, and then massage it regularly. Always follow such massage with a brief stretch of that muscle, which in this case would require a wall stretch.

Massaging the area of the spasm is also helpful.

hope this helps,

alan k

Martha B. on 6/30/00 at 17:35 (022720)

Yes, I have had that problem in the past and it is very painful.I would even wake up at nite with them. I started stretching more and they went away. I was having cramps in my calves too. Funny thing-I am a dental hygienist also. Bet you did scare her.

john h on 6/30/00 at 18:38 (022722)

i have had a spasm where the large band of fasca and muscle from the great toe to the heel contracted. yes it really hurts. to stop the pain i pulled my big toe up and held it and the muscle/fascia calmed down.

Truffle on 7/01/00 at 07:17 (022734)

I'd have spasms in my feet and in my calves, during the day and at night. I realised that the pain medication I was on contained sodium to make it effervesant, and after changing to the plain caplet type, the spasms eased off. Try checking the ingredients in all medication you may be taking. T.

alan k on 7/01/00 at 10:02 (022739)

First make sure you are getting plenty of water. In fact, discipline yourself to take in extra water.

Second, eating bannanas and other electrolyte rich foods will help, along with calcium (other than calcium carbonate which doesn't absorb well, though is cheap) and magnesium. 400 I.U. of Vitamin E daily for no more than two weeks should also help with cramps.

The best arch stretch is kneeling with butt on heels, toes tucked under. Also do towel stretch for the calves.

The trigger point for arch spasms is in the calf, inside the mid-line about an inch or two, and down from the knee-crease about 3-5 inches. Press firmly around this area to find the tender spot, and then massage it regularly. Always follow such massage with a brief stretch of that muscle, which in this case would require a wall stretch.

Massaging the area of the spasm is also helpful.

hope this helps,

alan k