Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tts please help with more info

Posted by timo on 6/30/00 at 19:20 (022726)

please refer to my next 2 postings....message#22672 and #22714 under my original post. all of the history is there.my original post is titled tarsal tunnel and nerve release. thanks Timo

Re: tts please help with more info

alan k on 7/01/00 at 09:50 (022737)

It would work better if you would take the time to post your questions directly.

cheers,
alan k

Re: Timo- TTS

wendyn on 7/01/00 at 09:53 (022738)

Hi Timo....I had intended to respond to you a few days ago - but I've been so busy I haven't even been near my computer the last couple days (this has to be some kind of record for me).

First - I am NOT a medical doctor or medical person of ANY kind. I HAVE done A LOT of research on TTS.

I can share with you what I have learned.

The fact that you had an underlying cause for your TTS (trauma) seems to give you a 'somewhat' better prognosis for surgical success. Remember that TTS is a 'Syndrome'...merely a collection of symptoms. TTS can be caused by all kinds of things - it's only the symptoms that are similar.

A positive nerve conduction test like you had is actually quite rare. It does indicate though that they have indeed found the source of your problem.

According to the notes I have amassed on TTS...one of the surgical complications is pain. Regenerating nerve fibers may create shooting pain, hot or cold sensations and it may hurt worse than before. Cramping. Nerves will grow at about one inche per month and may be associated with some pain. Recovery will continue for at least one year.

From surgical studies - the patients with the poorest outcomes seem to be those with systemic diseases or those with TTS from an unknown cause.

As I recall, your biggest concern was numbness wasn't it? (Sorry, I did read your original post the other day but I just read a bunch of posts this morning and now I can't remember)

What did your doctor say about the numbness?

Did you say it was a podatirst that did the surgery? I think you also need to seek a second opinion (even post-surgically) from a neurologist, especially with your new numbness. I would suspect it's from your surgery and will probably go away slowly - but better to be sure (and have a doctor take a look).

Re: tts please help with more info

alan k on 7/01/00 at 09:50 (022737)

It would work better if you would take the time to post your questions directly.

cheers,
alan k

Re: Timo- TTS

wendyn on 7/01/00 at 09:53 (022738)

Hi Timo....I had intended to respond to you a few days ago - but I've been so busy I haven't even been near my computer the last couple days (this has to be some kind of record for me).

First - I am NOT a medical doctor or medical person of ANY kind. I HAVE done A LOT of research on TTS.

I can share with you what I have learned.

The fact that you had an underlying cause for your TTS (trauma) seems to give you a 'somewhat' better prognosis for surgical success. Remember that TTS is a 'Syndrome'...merely a collection of symptoms. TTS can be caused by all kinds of things - it's only the symptoms that are similar.

A positive nerve conduction test like you had is actually quite rare. It does indicate though that they have indeed found the source of your problem.

According to the notes I have amassed on TTS...one of the surgical complications is pain. Regenerating nerve fibers may create shooting pain, hot or cold sensations and it may hurt worse than before. Cramping. Nerves will grow at about one inche per month and may be associated with some pain. Recovery will continue for at least one year.

From surgical studies - the patients with the poorest outcomes seem to be those with systemic diseases or those with TTS from an unknown cause.

As I recall, your biggest concern was numbness wasn't it? (Sorry, I did read your original post the other day but I just read a bunch of posts this morning and now I can't remember)

What did your doctor say about the numbness?

Did you say it was a podatirst that did the surgery? I think you also need to seek a second opinion (even post-surgically) from a neurologist, especially with your new numbness. I would suspect it's from your surgery and will probably go away slowly - but better to be sure (and have a doctor take a look).