Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recovered! Do I try a bench class?

Posted by AprilP on 7/02/00 at 22:47 (022795)

It has been a long haul but I believe I've almost beat this PF. I wore the proper shoes and watched my diet and lost 35 pounds. It took almost a year and a half. Now I'm walking 40 minutes a day and do an easy weight routine with lunges. So far so good. I stretch my calves every day. Now I'm wondering if I should try a bench class. Just the thought of stepping down from the bench makes me wince. It would be AWFUL to ruin things...should I try it?

Re: Recovered! Do I try a bench class?

Steve P on 7/03/00 at 09:04 (022810)

April -- I vote NO. Find some substitute activity that's almost as good but doesn't pose the same risk.

wendyn on 7/03/00 at 09:24 (022811)

Be very careful.

Maybe start with a no-impact aerobics class and see how you do. If you do decide to do a bench or step class - wear good shoes and pay very close attention to what you're doing. Make sure your WHOLE foot goes down on the the step - and that you're not just putting your toes on. This is a common mistake people make and puts them at risk of injury.

Step up and down softly and in a controlled way. I cringe when I watch the way some people carelessly pound their feet down in those classes.

Keep to the low impact variations and focus on how your feet and body are responding the class.

Rock on 7/03/00 at 16:23 (022815)

I would suggest swimming and/or biking. I have found these activities to be very kind to my PF.

Running and other weight bearing activities have been hard on my PF and require very long rest periods between runs or whatever. Sometimes I over-do the intensity or distance and have PF flareup.

Rock.

john h on 7/03/00 at 16:48 (022819)

i would suggest 'meditation' over a bench class.

Kim B. on 7/03/00 at 20:13 (022829)

Hi April,

NO, NO, NO!

NO Bench class could ever feel as good as being rid of the PF monster! What ever you try, go the non-weight bearing (for the feet) approach. You never know what will trigger a relasp. Don't push your luck girlfriend!

Regards, Kim B.

Bob G. on 7/03/00 at 22:53 (022833)

Not worth the risk, but if you must, proceed with great caution and very gradually. Good luck!

Re: Recovered! OK!>>No bench....but...

April on 7/05/00 at 12:44 (022881)

Ok, no bench! You guys are right, I'm sure. I decided to do the stepper instead. Well, I'm OK but I can tell that that's a No No too. Teeny twinges in my heel told me enough. Mind you that didn't flare you till 8 hours after the activity. I took ibprofen (sp?) right away, rested and stretched. This morning I woke up OK so I've gotten some grace for my stupidity. Today I did bike, which was totally fine, and 10 minutes walking at a respectable clip. We'll see. I did some hand weights and stretched well so cross your fingers! Thanks for the tips folks!

Steve P on 7/03/00 at 09:04 (022810)

April -- I vote NO. Find some substitute activity that's almost as good but doesn't pose the same risk.

wendyn on 7/03/00 at 09:24 (022811)

Be very careful.

Maybe start with a no-impact aerobics class and see how you do. If you do decide to do a bench or step class - wear good shoes and pay very close attention to what you're doing. Make sure your WHOLE foot goes down on the the step - and that you're not just putting your toes on. This is a common mistake people make and puts them at risk of injury.

Step up and down softly and in a controlled way. I cringe when I watch the way some people carelessly pound their feet down in those classes.

Keep to the low impact variations and focus on how your feet and body are responding the class.

Rock on 7/03/00 at 16:23 (022815)

I would suggest swimming and/or biking. I have found these activities to be very kind to my PF.

Running and other weight bearing activities have been hard on my PF and require very long rest periods between runs or whatever. Sometimes I over-do the intensity or distance and have PF flareup.

Rock.

john h on 7/03/00 at 16:48 (022819)

i would suggest 'meditation' over a bench class.

Kim B. on 7/03/00 at 20:13 (022829)

Hi April,

NO, NO, NO!

NO Bench class could ever feel as good as being rid of the PF monster! What ever you try, go the non-weight bearing (for the feet) approach. You never know what will trigger a relasp. Don't push your luck girlfriend!

Regards, Kim B.

Bob G. on 7/03/00 at 22:53 (022833)

Not worth the risk, but if you must, proceed with great caution and very gradually. Good luck!

Re: Recovered! OK!>>No bench....but...

April on 7/05/00 at 12:44 (022881)

Ok, no bench! You guys are right, I'm sure. I decided to do the stepper instead. Well, I'm OK but I can tell that that's a No No too. Teeny twinges in my heel told me enough. Mind you that didn't flare you till 8 hours after the activity. I took ibprofen (sp?) right away, rested and stretched. This morning I woke up OK so I've gotten some grace for my stupidity. Today I did bike, which was totally fine, and 10 minutes walking at a respectable clip. We'll see. I did some hand weights and stretched well so cross your fingers! Thanks for the tips folks!