Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm going shopping for birks and need advice!

Posted by Sue R on 7/03/00 at 07:39 (022803)

I'm planning on looking at birks and need some help from any of you if you have time. I think I need extra cushion in the heel right now and was wondering if you could recommend some styles for me? I tried to search on birks but didn't come up with the specifics I'm looking for.

Please help! Thanks.

Re: I'm going shopping for birks and need advice!

Nancy S. on 7/03/00 at 07:55 (022805)

Hi Sue -- Jill posted on July 1 that she received some 'soft footbed' Arizonas through Scott's link to the German Birkenstock site. Maybe you're looking for something like that? She sounds really happy with them. I don't know if many stores carry them -- you might have to order over the Net, but if you know your size that shouldn't be a problem. Other than this, I don't know what to suggest -- although some styles seem to fit a little bit differently, I haven't noticed any style being softer in the heel than any other style. After i wear them in and the cork conforms a bit to my foot, they don't feel hard to me anymore. Good luck --Nancy

john h on 7/03/00 at 16:47 (022818)

in my humble opinion all first time birk buyers should start with the Airizona without the heel strap. It is, however, a personal preference.

Lori E. on 7/03/00 at 19:21 (022826)

I recommend going to a store that has all the birk styles and trying on different kinds(Betula, Tatami, and the Traditional Birks.) I found the Arizona gave me a pulled feeling in my arch,( I have high arches,) and after walking around the store in them they hurt my feet. The salesman maintained that the Arizona was the only Birk for PF. I disagree, I found the Tatami Kansas much better. I just got my Birks from Germany today,(they only took three weeks air mail,) and spent quite some time in them and they felt great right away. So try out as many kinds as you can to get the right fit in size and in the arches, and walk around in them a good amount of time. Good luck!

Re: How much are the German Birks?

Dolcelen on 7/04/00 at 11:05 (022844)

Is there a place on this website that converts the Eurodollar? I saw varying prices but couldn't figure out the real (American) price. How much are a pair of Birks (about) if no converter exists?

Lori E. on 7/04/00 at 11:26 (022845)

You can do a search on a net search engine for currency converters, but I found the general rule is that the Euro is basically equal to a dollar. Sometimes the Euro is worth .90 and sometimes it's 1.05, it varies a little each day. The currency exchange rates are also in the Wall Street Journal every weekday. If you get your Birks on the German website, I recommend that you have them shipped air mail, it will only take about 3 weeks. Land/sea freight will take anywhere from 2 to 3 months. I just got my Birks from Germany and I love them! Even with the extra cost of air mail they still cost less then here in the States. Be sure to get fitted first at a shoe store that has all the different footbed styles, not just the traditional Birkenstocks. I found the Arizonas and Betula style Birks hurt my arches, but the Tatami Kansas style is great for me with my high arches. Everyone is different, so get fitted first. Good luck!

Nancy S. on 7/04/00 at 12:00 (022847)

Lori E., I think you and I are the only Tatami Birks fans on the board (as far as I know). I've had the Boston classic since December, but about a month ago got the Nebraska Tatamis and I love them even more. (My arches are 'normal,' but the Nebraskas feel just right.) I'd like to try more Tatami styles -- maybe I'll look into Kansas. Have you tried any of the trekking Tatamis? I'm wondering in what way they're different, if there's any difference at all, maybe not. --nancy

Re: Tatamis

Lori E. on 7/04/00 at 16:10 (022854)

I think you are right about being the only Tatami fans on the board. The Kansas Tatamis are my first real pair of Birks. I bought some Betulas from Herberger's a while back and boy did they hurt my feet. I had to return them. I haven't tried any of the other styles yet. I would like to move into more of the clog styles if that will work for me, as it would go with my work outfits better. I didn't find any of the clog styles in the Birk store I went to to get fitted. I am hoping all the Tatami styles will have the same footbed. Does anyone know if there is any difference in the footbed from one Tatami style to the next? Or can I count on them all being pretty much the same? But I think I will be pretty much living in these Birks for the rest of the summer. They really feel great! I don't know what I am going to do once Minnesota winter hits this year. I am hoping to have this thing beat to the point that I can wear my Dansko shoes again for winter, they worked okay, but I have to wear them with my orthodics.

Jill P on 7/04/00 at 17:44 (022859)

Hi there Sue! I just got my first pair of Birks from the German website and they are the soft heel bed and upon putting them on the first night, I loved them!

Unfortunately, a day or so later, I was finding that my PF was really bad and the Birks were hurting more than helping. It felt great to stand in them but when I walked, it pulled at the part that hurt (arch/front of heel when my heel was up during stride) and made things worse. I went back to wearing my Mephistos which I bought at the expensive shoe store for $120 and my Reebok Walk DMX Air with my orthotics. I am doing better again.

I don't think I can blame the Birks for my pain. I had signed my son up for a preschool 'camp' which was four mornings in a row last week and I took the free time (just having my baby along) to do some shopping at the mall and run errands. Seems to me that being on my feet and walking for a couple hours each morning for 4 days in a row was not something wise for me to do. Anyway, I had just gotten my shoes like the first night of this 4 days and so I think the combination or timing was poor. I will try again with them more slowly when I am back to where I was before.

MY, advice to you would be to go to the GOOD shoe store and try on shoes and walk around the store and do some standing so you can see what works for your foot. I found the Mephistos to fit my foot best (same style as the Arizona Birks - two straps across the middle) when I was there and really ordered the Birks as a second pair of shoes for wearing around the house since I can't go barefoot at all. Good luck!!!! Jill P

Chris on 7/04/00 at 19:30 (022861)

Nope, I'm a Tatami Kansas fan also, but I also wear the Arizonas and Bostons. I have a pair of Florida on the way here from Germany too. I have found that the Birks really have been the savior for my feet. But I also know when I need to slow down and change Birks to my New Balance or Nike running shoes. I've had PF for 2 years and there has been no change in the pain except to get worse with the inflamation. Right now I'm in an 'ok' time and am taking no meds and am working out on the treadmill with about 5 minutes of running out of a 50 minute workout. I did go to a Birk store in Georgetown, VA and try on all of their shoes. The high arch really felt good to me. For winter I'll be wearing Birks with socks. -and I am a teacher. I really liked the feel of the Tatami Oklahoma, but the toe and across the foot is very wide. Their arch is even higher than the Kansas. By the way, the best meds for me was Vioxx and I have tried many. It got me out of my last bad time fairly quickly! Good Luck.

Nancy S. on 7/03/00 at 07:55 (022805)

Hi Sue -- Jill posted on July 1 that she received some 'soft footbed' Arizonas through Scott's link to the German Birkenstock site. Maybe you're looking for something like that? She sounds really happy with them. I don't know if many stores carry them -- you might have to order over the Net, but if you know your size that shouldn't be a problem. Other than this, I don't know what to suggest -- although some styles seem to fit a little bit differently, I haven't noticed any style being softer in the heel than any other style. After i wear them in and the cork conforms a bit to my foot, they don't feel hard to me anymore. Good luck --Nancy

john h on 7/03/00 at 16:47 (022818)

in my humble opinion all first time birk buyers should start with the Airizona without the heel strap. It is, however, a personal preference.

Lori E. on 7/03/00 at 19:21 (022826)

I recommend going to a store that has all the birk styles and trying on different kinds(Betula, Tatami, and the Traditional Birks.) I found the Arizona gave me a pulled feeling in my arch,( I have high arches,) and after walking around the store in them they hurt my feet. The salesman maintained that the Arizona was the only Birk for PF. I disagree, I found the Tatami Kansas much better. I just got my Birks from Germany today,(they only took three weeks air mail,) and spent quite some time in them and they felt great right away. So try out as many kinds as you can to get the right fit in size and in the arches, and walk around in them a good amount of time. Good luck!

Dolcelen on 7/04/00 at 11:05 (022844)

Is there a place on this website that converts the Eurodollar? I saw varying prices but couldn't figure out the real (American) price. How much are a pair of Birks (about) if no converter exists?

Lori E. on 7/04/00 at 11:26 (022845)

You can do a search on a net search engine for currency converters, but I found the general rule is that the Euro is basically equal to a dollar. Sometimes the Euro is worth .90 and sometimes it's 1.05, it varies a little each day. The currency exchange rates are also in the Wall Street Journal every weekday. If you get your Birks on the German website, I recommend that you have them shipped air mail, it will only take about 3 weeks. Land/sea freight will take anywhere from 2 to 3 months. I just got my Birks from Germany and I love them! Even with the extra cost of air mail they still cost less then here in the States. Be sure to get fitted first at a shoe store that has all the different footbed styles, not just the traditional Birkenstocks. I found the Arizonas and Betula style Birks hurt my arches, but the Tatami Kansas style is great for me with my high arches. Everyone is different, so get fitted first. Good luck!

Nancy S. on 7/04/00 at 12:00 (022847)

Lori E., I think you and I are the only Tatami Birks fans on the board (as far as I know). I've had the Boston classic since December, but about a month ago got the Nebraska Tatamis and I love them even more. (My arches are 'normal,' but the Nebraskas feel just right.) I'd like to try more Tatami styles -- maybe I'll look into Kansas. Have you tried any of the trekking Tatamis? I'm wondering in what way they're different, if there's any difference at all, maybe not. --nancy

Re: Tatamis

Lori E. on 7/04/00 at 16:10 (022854)

I think you are right about being the only Tatami fans on the board. The Kansas Tatamis are my first real pair of Birks. I bought some Betulas from Herberger's a while back and boy did they hurt my feet. I had to return them. I haven't tried any of the other styles yet. I would like to move into more of the clog styles if that will work for me, as it would go with my work outfits better. I didn't find any of the clog styles in the Birk store I went to to get fitted. I am hoping all the Tatami styles will have the same footbed. Does anyone know if there is any difference in the footbed from one Tatami style to the next? Or can I count on them all being pretty much the same? But I think I will be pretty much living in these Birks for the rest of the summer. They really feel great! I don't know what I am going to do once Minnesota winter hits this year. I am hoping to have this thing beat to the point that I can wear my Dansko shoes again for winter, they worked okay, but I have to wear them with my orthodics.

Jill P on 7/04/00 at 17:44 (022859)

Hi there Sue! I just got my first pair of Birks from the German website and they are the soft heel bed and upon putting them on the first night, I loved them!

Unfortunately, a day or so later, I was finding that my PF was really bad and the Birks were hurting more than helping. It felt great to stand in them but when I walked, it pulled at the part that hurt (arch/front of heel when my heel was up during stride) and made things worse. I went back to wearing my Mephistos which I bought at the expensive shoe store for $120 and my Reebok Walk DMX Air with my orthotics. I am doing better again.

I don't think I can blame the Birks for my pain. I had signed my son up for a preschool 'camp' which was four mornings in a row last week and I took the free time (just having my baby along) to do some shopping at the mall and run errands. Seems to me that being on my feet and walking for a couple hours each morning for 4 days in a row was not something wise for me to do. Anyway, I had just gotten my shoes like the first night of this 4 days and so I think the combination or timing was poor. I will try again with them more slowly when I am back to where I was before.

MY, advice to you would be to go to the GOOD shoe store and try on shoes and walk around the store and do some standing so you can see what works for your foot. I found the Mephistos to fit my foot best (same style as the Arizona Birks - two straps across the middle) when I was there and really ordered the Birks as a second pair of shoes for wearing around the house since I can't go barefoot at all. Good luck!!!! Jill P

Chris on 7/04/00 at 19:30 (022861)

Nope, I'm a Tatami Kansas fan also, but I also wear the Arizonas and Bostons. I have a pair of Florida on the way here from Germany too. I have found that the Birks really have been the savior for my feet. But I also know when I need to slow down and change Birks to my New Balance or Nike running shoes. I've had PF for 2 years and there has been no change in the pain except to get worse with the inflamation. Right now I'm in an 'ok' time and am taking no meds and am working out on the treadmill with about 5 minutes of running out of a 50 minute workout. I did go to a Birk store in Georgetown, VA and try on all of their shoes. The high arch really felt good to me. For winter I'll be wearing Birks with socks. -and I am a teacher. I really liked the feel of the Tatami Oklahoma, but the toe and across the foot is very wide. Their arch is even higher than the Kansas. By the way, the best meds for me was Vioxx and I have tried many. It got me out of my last bad time fairly quickly! Good Luck.