Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is EPF the right thing for me???

Posted by Merrie Q. on 7/04/00 at 21:56 (022865)

I am a 39 year old, female U.P.S. driver. I have recently had my left foot x ray'd and was diagnosed with a very large heel spur on my left foot. My Company's doctor put me in a pair of orthotics for about a month, and 800 mg of ibuprofen three times a day. This has not been relieving my problem, and my symptoms are actually getting worse. Now I have numbness, and tingling in my foot off and on throughout the day. I am supposed to return to the doctor on the 21st of July, and have been trying to research EPF. Is there anyone who has had a similar experience, especially someone who is on there feet all day doing an enormous amount of walking? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Is EPF the right thing for me???

KAREN S on 7/04/00 at 22:53 (022866)

I TOO HAVE GONE THROUGH WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH. I AM A BAKER AND AM ON MY FEET ALL DAY. I WENT THROUGH MAJOR PAIN AND BARELY ABLE TO GET THROUGH MY DAYS FOR OVER A YEAR. I JUST WENT THROUGH SURGERY ON JUNE 29 TH AND HAD A LARGE SPUR REMOVED ALONG WITH A MUSCLE RELEASE. I'M NOT SURE HOW WELL IT HAS WORKED YET AS I AM NOT ALLOWED TO PUT ANY WEIGHT ON IT. I HAVE THE STITCHES REMOVED ON JULY 13 TH WHEN I WILL THEN BE PUT IN A CAST FOR 6 WEEKS. I HAD TRIED EVERY KIND OF TREATMENT THEY COULD THINK OF BUT NEVER HAD ANY KIND OF RELIEF WITH IT. I AM HOPING THIS SURGERY HELPS.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW SO MANY PEOPLE WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS GO THROUGH SO MANY DIFFERENT PROCEDURES. I'VE READ ON THE BOARD WHERE SOME PEOPLE ARE WALKING IN 3 DAYS AND IN NORMAL SHOES IN A WEEK, YET I'M NOT ALLOWED ANY WEIGHT ON MINE FOR 8 WEEKS. IF ANYONE COULD EXPLAIN THIS I WOULD BE GREATFUL.

THANK YOU....KAREN

Bob G. on 7/05/00 at 00:54 (022873)

Hello Merrie Q.,

I was about your age first time I suffered from PF. My xray showed the same, but my doctor didn't even look at the xrays! I thought the doc was nuts, but not so. He showed me a simple wall stretch and prescribed Birkenstock arch supports - the pain went away in about a month.

That was years ago, and I continued to jog barefoot and ended back on square one - OUCH! This time, stretching was NOT the answer. REST was the answer - ten months of complete rest, nightsplint, arch support and then...after the pain had subsided, gentle stretching.

That is my story and what works for me. Oh yes, I did use Ibuprofen at times during my recovery. BG

Diane on 7/05/00 at 22:09 (022888)

It is hard to say what is right for you, but I suffered from pf for over 8 years. I tried everything, night splints, pain meds, excercise, stretching, ortho's, you name it I tried it.

I had EPF on both feet the end of May and don't regret it at all. Sure, it was slow going for a while with those lovely blue shoes but I was walking the same day of surgery. I had the procedure done on a Thursday and went back to work the following Wednesday. I was in those lovely 'shoes' for a week, then I was in tennis shoes (1 1/2 sizes bigger) for 4 weeks, I am now into my own shoes and pretty much pain free. Sure, my feet 'talk' to me yet when I over do and I just need to rest them and sometimes use ice for about 20 min. at night. But other than that, I feel really good.

Sometimes I am walking around the house or outside and I have to stop and think, wow it doesn't hurt to walk, it really doesn't hurt!! I forgot what it was like.

I don't know if this is the right thing for you, but it has been for me. I'm told on this message board that I was really brave to have both feet done at the same time. I guess I was, but I don't regret it. All I can tell you is if you decide to have this done, please check out your doc and see if he/she has done several of these procedures. Mine had done over 100 and I think I can tell!!

Good luck!

Di

KAREN S on 7/04/00 at 22:53 (022866)

I TOO HAVE GONE THROUGH WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH. I AM A BAKER AND AM ON MY FEET ALL DAY. I WENT THROUGH MAJOR PAIN AND BARELY ABLE TO GET THROUGH MY DAYS FOR OVER A YEAR. I JUST WENT THROUGH SURGERY ON JUNE 29 TH AND HAD A LARGE SPUR REMOVED ALONG WITH A MUSCLE RELEASE. I'M NOT SURE HOW WELL IT HAS WORKED YET AS I AM NOT ALLOWED TO PUT ANY WEIGHT ON IT. I HAVE THE STITCHES REMOVED ON JULY 13 TH WHEN I WILL THEN BE PUT IN A CAST FOR 6 WEEKS. I HAD TRIED EVERY KIND OF TREATMENT THEY COULD THINK OF BUT NEVER HAD ANY KIND OF RELIEF WITH IT. I AM HOPING THIS SURGERY HELPS.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW SO MANY PEOPLE WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS GO THROUGH SO MANY DIFFERENT PROCEDURES. I'VE READ ON THE BOARD WHERE SOME PEOPLE ARE WALKING IN 3 DAYS AND IN NORMAL SHOES IN A WEEK, YET I'M NOT ALLOWED ANY WEIGHT ON MINE FOR 8 WEEKS. IF ANYONE COULD EXPLAIN THIS I WOULD BE GREATFUL.

THANK YOU....KAREN

Bob G. on 7/05/00 at 00:54 (022873)

Hello Merrie Q.,

I was about your age first time I suffered from PF. My xray showed the same, but my doctor didn't even look at the xrays! I thought the doc was nuts, but not so. He showed me a simple wall stretch and prescribed Birkenstock arch supports - the pain went away in about a month.

That was years ago, and I continued to jog barefoot and ended back on square one - OUCH! This time, stretching was NOT the answer. REST was the answer - ten months of complete rest, nightsplint, arch support and then...after the pain had subsided, gentle stretching.

That is my story and what works for me. Oh yes, I did use Ibuprofen at times during my recovery. BG

Diane on 7/05/00 at 22:09 (022888)

It is hard to say what is right for you, but I suffered from pf for over 8 years. I tried everything, night splints, pain meds, excercise, stretching, ortho's, you name it I tried it.

I had EPF on both feet the end of May and don't regret it at all. Sure, it was slow going for a while with those lovely blue shoes but I was walking the same day of surgery. I had the procedure done on a Thursday and went back to work the following Wednesday. I was in those lovely 'shoes' for a week, then I was in tennis shoes (1 1/2 sizes bigger) for 4 weeks, I am now into my own shoes and pretty much pain free. Sure, my feet 'talk' to me yet when I over do and I just need to rest them and sometimes use ice for about 20 min. at night. But other than that, I feel really good.

Sometimes I am walking around the house or outside and I have to stop and think, wow it doesn't hurt to walk, it really doesn't hurt!! I forgot what it was like.

I don't know if this is the right thing for you, but it has been for me. I'm told on this message board that I was really brave to have both feet done at the same time. I guess I was, but I don't regret it. All I can tell you is if you decide to have this done, please check out your doc and see if he/she has done several of these procedures. Mine had done over 100 and I think I can tell!!

Good luck!

Di