Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Wellness Tips We Can Learn From A Dog

Posted by Bob G. on 7/05/00 at 00:18 (022870)

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
When loved ones come home, always be glad to greet them.
Let others know when they have invaded your territory.
When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.
Take naps and stretch before rising.
Eat (smart) with gusto and enthusiasm.
Be loyal.
Never pretend to be something you're not.
If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
When someone is having a bad day be silent, sit close and nuzzle them...gently.
Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
On hot days drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree.
When you're happy, wag your entire body.
No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing or pout. Go right back to making friends.

And if you've successfully conquered your PF (most can), delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Re: Wellness Tips We Can Learn From A Dog

Nancy S. on 7/05/00 at 00:39 (022872)

Bob, you have no idea how hard I've been trying not to just go ahead and BITE! Thought for sure that long walk would be in the cards this year . . . but now, I'm not so sure. In any case, thanks for these dog words of wisdom. I've always believed dogs are worth listening to. Tonight we watched the Red Sox (from the couch, of course) trounce the Minnesota Twins. It was 'Dog Day' at the Metrodome. Everyone who brought a dog to the game got in free. Many shots of cute, funny, sleepy, mesmerized dogs were shown, and I wanted at least ten of them. A few couldn't handle the organ music, though, and had to be ushered out.
Bob, how are your knees? Are you taking long walks? --Nancy

Bob G. on 7/05/00 at 01:02 (022874)

Hey, Nancy!

Dogs are cool as are most animals and blue jays. My knees are doing much better - almost no pain. I learned from PF not to push but to rest. I can walk okay with or without knee braces and hope to start jogging very soon.

My foot is still pain-free (16 weeks) and not much of a worry anymore. I continue to gently stretch many times a day with the FootFlex (I take it on the road with me and I use it in my motel rooms). I have been without the nightsplint for a couple weeks because of the sore knee; I dare not twist or stress the knee.

I have learned that the nightsplint is important to recovery, but I may be able to do without it in time.

Hope all is well in Maine. BG

Nancy S. on 7/05/00 at 00:39 (022872)

Bob, you have no idea how hard I've been trying not to just go ahead and BITE! Thought for sure that long walk would be in the cards this year . . . but now, I'm not so sure. In any case, thanks for these dog words of wisdom. I've always believed dogs are worth listening to. Tonight we watched the Red Sox (from the couch, of course) trounce the Minnesota Twins. It was 'Dog Day' at the Metrodome. Everyone who brought a dog to the game got in free. Many shots of cute, funny, sleepy, mesmerized dogs were shown, and I wanted at least ten of them. A few couldn't handle the organ music, though, and had to be ushered out.
Bob, how are your knees? Are you taking long walks? --Nancy

Bob G. on 7/05/00 at 01:02 (022874)

Hey, Nancy!

Dogs are cool as are most animals and blue jays. My knees are doing much better - almost no pain. I learned from PF not to push but to rest. I can walk okay with or without knee braces and hope to start jogging very soon.

My foot is still pain-free (16 weeks) and not much of a worry anymore. I continue to gently stretch many times a day with the FootFlex (I take it on the road with me and I use it in my motel rooms). I have been without the nightsplint for a couple weeks because of the sore knee; I dare not twist or stress the knee.

I have learned that the nightsplint is important to recovery, but I may be able to do without it in time.

Hope all is well in Maine. BG