Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ignorance is bliss............

Posted by JudyS on 7/06/00 at 12:03 (022903)

that's why I've been in bliss all my life! A new PF discovery for me.......my husband and I had a four-day baseball tournament this holiday weekend - I didn't go out on the field but he did. What I discovered over that four days was that when I was distracted by those activities, my feet didn't hurt. I'd ice them when I got home, maintained a low-dose ibuprofen, and tried hard to just SIT in the dugout.....consequently I had limited stiffness and soreness upon wakening each morning. I'm believing more and more that mild treatments and rest are the long-term cure. But I also believe that I, at least, can rest too much and I find more stiffness and soreness when I do. So the newest experiment is to move around for a couple of hours, then sit with ice, etc. for awhile. I see my third Pod in a week or two - can you believe this....my GP wouldn't refer me to an Orthopaedic saying that here in the west only Podiatrists do feet! Has anyone heard of that before? Anyway, my first Pod says surgery is good, the second says it's not......so on to the tiebreaker! I hope that, at least for my peace of mind, I'll at least get an MRI out of this guy!

Re: ignorance is bliss............

Beverly on 7/06/00 at 19:59 (022941)

Judy,

You've keyed in on an important thing... distractions. I know people probably get tired of me talking about 'mind/body' approaches to healing when we've all looking for concrete medical help, but I truely believe the mind is the most powerful weapon we have in this war against PF. I say this, because the level of our mental health is so important for how we approach our overall recovery.

I don't think it would have mattered if you were at a ballgame or a movie... You were particating .. even if only from the sidelines in your passion. It distracted you and took your mind off your feet. It seems wise that you found something sensible/prudent to do rather than be out there on the field.

I'll give you my own example. Barnes and Noble is my great passion... love books. It is a huge store. Thanks to all the chairs and sofas placed throughout the store, I trek through that big parking lot and big store and spend an hour or two there about every couple of weeks. I do use my head. I spend about ten minutes picking up interesting books and then I sit down to look at them. Then, when I have made my selection, I wait for the line to die down before I get in it. Afterwards, I go home and put my feet up on ice. By now, I have a good book to help keep me distracted in my recliner! I find myself in a better frame of mind.

Yesterday, I went with friends to a movie. This was the first time in over a month that I have braved that big a parking lot. Once again, I waited for the line to be slow. It was a little tough on the way to find my truck out in that big parking lot, but I managed. I was in such a better frame of mind for having gotten out of the house.

So, like you I am mixing rest with 'light' outtings.

Oh, by the way. I enrolled myself in therapy (the head kind) with a therapist who has a background in hypnotherapy. Hey, might as well try it all! So, now with my new PT script for my feet, I'm going to be in therapy from head to toe! Ha! Ha!

I'm glad you had such a good four days.
Beverly

Re: Hypnotherapy

wendyn on 7/06/00 at 20:25 (022943)

Beverley - don't underestimate how useful this could be. I went through hypnosis when I quit smoking and also for my extreme fear of flying. There's nothing hokus pokus or weird about it. It's essentially learning how to truly relax - and find a meditative state similar to what you achieve in yoga (same feeling). You're very aware of what's happening around you - if anything you have a heigtened awareness of sounds etc. The hypnosis part is just giving your mind suggestions while it's in this very relaxed 'open' state.

You may find this very beneficial for dealing with chronic pain and the stress that goes with it.

Let me know how it works for you.

Nancy S. on 7/07/00 at 08:34 (022960)

Judy, you and Beverly are right about distractions. My auction laughing-fit last week was a great distraction and the effects lasted about three days.
Of course, I can't have a laughing fit EVERY day. (Or can I?) But these resting periods have been really strange for me. I have a lot of interests that could occupy me while resting, I never was bored in my whole life until this past winter, when I think I took on invalid status in my mind, and some days now it's happening again. Not good, not good, and thank you for reminding me.
As a result, this weekend my husband is going to help me get my studio organized. (I say 'help me' -- he'll do all the labor, while I direct from a throne!) Then, when I'm not doing the little bit of work I've shrunk back down to, I'll be away more from the webtv and the stupid regular tv, and can work on projects and read out there and take my mind off pain and fear. I'm quite excited! Time for a change -- to rest my feet but not my mind so much, which since the AT hit has been like a shriveled little rag stuffed in the corner feeling sorry for itself.
I do know better, but boy, when you're not looking, sometimes you can get stuck really fast and wake up one day and wonder 'Hey, wait a minute, how'd I get HERE?'
--Nancy

john h on 7/07/00 at 08:58 (022967)

tried hyponsis and i could not be hypnotized. i had an extreme fear of dominating women - like Zena the Warrior Princess.

VioletD on 7/07/00 at 09:09 (022970)

My GP wouldn't give me a referral to a pod. Guess he doesn't think much of them. He would have recommended an orthopedic if I had wanted to pursue treatment beyond what he gave me. With our doctors all having different opinions, no wonder we find ourselves confused. As it turns out, I used a bunch of info from this board to add to the scanty info from the dr., and self-treated.

Nancy S. on 7/07/00 at 09:40 (022973)

Oh, John. Now why are we not surprised? If you ever want to try hypnosis again, I, Dr. S., prescribe a man therapist for you. But make sure he is not handsome, just in case.

wendyn on 7/07/00 at 09:47 (022974)

I read that about 10% of the population cannot be hypnotized.

Beverly on 7/06/00 at 19:59 (022941)

Judy,

You've keyed in on an important thing... distractions. I know people probably get tired of me talking about 'mind/body' approaches to healing when we've all looking for concrete medical help, but I truely believe the mind is the most powerful weapon we have in this war against PF. I say this, because the level of our mental health is so important for how we approach our overall recovery.

I don't think it would have mattered if you were at a ballgame or a movie... You were particating .. even if only from the sidelines in your passion. It distracted you and took your mind off your feet. It seems wise that you found something sensible/prudent to do rather than be out there on the field.

I'll give you my own example. Barnes and Noble is my great passion... love books. It is a huge store. Thanks to all the chairs and sofas placed throughout the store, I trek through that big parking lot and big store and spend an hour or two there about every couple of weeks. I do use my head. I spend about ten minutes picking up interesting books and then I sit down to look at them. Then, when I have made my selection, I wait for the line to die down before I get in it. Afterwards, I go home and put my feet up on ice. By now, I have a good book to help keep me distracted in my recliner! I find myself in a better frame of mind.

Yesterday, I went with friends to a movie. This was the first time in over a month that I have braved that big a parking lot. Once again, I waited for the line to be slow. It was a little tough on the way to find my truck out in that big parking lot, but I managed. I was in such a better frame of mind for having gotten out of the house.

So, like you I am mixing rest with 'light' outtings.

Oh, by the way. I enrolled myself in therapy (the head kind) with a therapist who has a background in hypnotherapy. Hey, might as well try it all! So, now with my new PT script for my feet, I'm going to be in therapy from head to toe! Ha! Ha!

I'm glad you had such a good four days.
Beverly

wendyn on 7/06/00 at 20:25 (022943)

Beverley - don't underestimate how useful this could be. I went through hypnosis when I quit smoking and also for my extreme fear of flying. There's nothing hokus pokus or weird about it. It's essentially learning how to truly relax - and find a meditative state similar to what you achieve in yoga (same feeling). You're very aware of what's happening around you - if anything you have a heigtened awareness of sounds etc. The hypnosis part is just giving your mind suggestions while it's in this very relaxed 'open' state.

You may find this very beneficial for dealing with chronic pain and the stress that goes with it.

Let me know how it works for you.

Nancy S. on 7/07/00 at 08:34 (022960)

Judy, you and Beverly are right about distractions. My auction laughing-fit last week was a great distraction and the effects lasted about three days.
Of course, I can't have a laughing fit EVERY day. (Or can I?) But these resting periods have been really strange for me. I have a lot of interests that could occupy me while resting, I never was bored in my whole life until this past winter, when I think I took on invalid status in my mind, and some days now it's happening again. Not good, not good, and thank you for reminding me.
As a result, this weekend my husband is going to help me get my studio organized. (I say 'help me' -- he'll do all the labor, while I direct from a throne!) Then, when I'm not doing the little bit of work I've shrunk back down to, I'll be away more from the webtv and the stupid regular tv, and can work on projects and read out there and take my mind off pain and fear. I'm quite excited! Time for a change -- to rest my feet but not my mind so much, which since the AT hit has been like a shriveled little rag stuffed in the corner feeling sorry for itself.
I do know better, but boy, when you're not looking, sometimes you can get stuck really fast and wake up one day and wonder 'Hey, wait a minute, how'd I get HERE?'
--Nancy

john h on 7/07/00 at 08:58 (022967)

tried hyponsis and i could not be hypnotized. i had an extreme fear of dominating women - like Zena the Warrior Princess.

VioletD on 7/07/00 at 09:09 (022970)

My GP wouldn't give me a referral to a pod. Guess he doesn't think much of them. He would have recommended an orthopedic if I had wanted to pursue treatment beyond what he gave me. With our doctors all having different opinions, no wonder we find ourselves confused. As it turns out, I used a bunch of info from this board to add to the scanty info from the dr., and self-treated.

Nancy S. on 7/07/00 at 09:40 (022973)

Oh, John. Now why are we not surprised? If you ever want to try hypnosis again, I, Dr. S., prescribe a man therapist for you. But make sure he is not handsome, just in case.

wendyn on 7/07/00 at 09:47 (022974)

I read that about 10% of the population cannot be hypnotized.