Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Really Big fashion question for physical-therapy veterans

Posted by Nancy S. on 7/06/00 at 13:03 (022905)

Hi, I'm preparing over a week in advance for my first physical therapy appointment (mind occupation). I'm a PT rooky, never been there for anything at any time in my life. What do I wear for foot PT appointments? A sack? A party dress? A nightgown? A bikini? A 1940s apron? A sarong? A towel? Pants? A clown suit? Advice will be appreciated, thank you. Nancy

Re: Really Big fashion question for physical-therapy veterans

Lori E. on 7/06/00 at 13:16 (022906)

I went to PT in the winter, but I usually brought along a pair of shorts to change into once I got there. When if forgot my shorts they gave me a pair of ugly polyester ones to wear. Of course if your PT involves a pool, bring a swim suit. They usually check you in, put you in a room, you change and they come back and get started, the appts. last about 30 min or so. Good luck, and ask lots of questions. Ask about home treatments, diet suppliments, PT tools, etc. My therapist was very helpful, I saw her more often then the Dr. so I could ask here questions that came up before my next Dr. appt., and she was a great emotional support too!

Pauline on 7/06/00 at 16:54 (022921)

I've been going to Physical Therapy 3 times a week for 4 weeks now.
I take a pair of shorts because I have water therapy each time before
the Iontophoresis. My pain level has gone down and so has the inflammation. I think I am making progress. When I see the Dr. this Fri. I plan to ask for 4 to 6 more week. The last time I had PF
I had physical therapy for 14 weeks 3 times a week and it really
help drive down the inflammation. The place I go to is very casual and easy going. If you forget something they have gowns. Good Luck

JudyS on 7/06/00 at 17:25 (022925)

Hey lady - given that you'd probably be the only person in history to wear a 1940's apron to PT (and probably the only person who has one...) I think you ought to choose that. Myself, well, I go towards my closet full of black, slinky things.....oh yeah - THAT closet is in my dreams..............I guess us regular folks wear what would be comfy in the gym - like sweats, etc. Keep that mind of your set, 'K? It helps us all...

wendyn on 7/06/00 at 17:53 (022928)

Bring a pair of fitted exercise shorts (not the baggy boxer short type - or wear the fitted ones underneath the baggy ones). If your physio is anything like mine you will be contorted into all kinds of unflattering positions and you don't want to be giving the folks in the next bed more information than they need to know about you.

john h on 7/06/00 at 18:49 (022931)

only a lady would ask such a question nancy. macho guys just strip down to their skivys and say 'hurt me if you can'.

Beverly on 7/06/00 at 19:05 (022933)

Nancy,

I've had lots of PT on the upperbody. I always wear a very baggy tee-shirt and baggy shorts. The main thing is to be comfy.
Good luck.

Beverly

Nancy S. on 7/07/00 at 08:10 (022957)

Thank you Lori, Pauline, Judy, Wendy, John, and Beverly for all your advice and a few laughs too -- all much appreciated. I believe I've got the picture now.
Lori and Pauline: The doc who referred me for PT was a walk-in clinic doc, not a foot doc per se. She didn't write out any specific instructions for the therapist and apparently is leaving it to the therapist to figure out what to do with me. Therapists generally can figure this out, yes? You both sound like you were/are being helped by PT. Have you found that they can get very specific about what to do at home, can advise you about how much resting to do, and so on? Did your therapists believe in starting out stretching and strengthening quite gradually, or did they plunge you into a heavy-duty regimen all of a sudden? Did the PT sessions feel comfortable or soothing, or should I expect some pain at first and not be alarmed if that happens? Thank you! --Nancy

john h on 7/07/00 at 08:56 (022966)

PT cured my achilles tendonitis (it hurt) within a few weeks. however, they knew less about PF than i did and provided little help and nothing new. better luck with a massage thearpist for PF.

Lori E. on 7/06/00 at 13:16 (022906)

I went to PT in the winter, but I usually brought along a pair of shorts to change into once I got there. When if forgot my shorts they gave me a pair of ugly polyester ones to wear. Of course if your PT involves a pool, bring a swim suit. They usually check you in, put you in a room, you change and they come back and get started, the appts. last about 30 min or so. Good luck, and ask lots of questions. Ask about home treatments, diet suppliments, PT tools, etc. My therapist was very helpful, I saw her more often then the Dr. so I could ask here questions that came up before my next Dr. appt., and she was a great emotional support too!

Pauline on 7/06/00 at 16:54 (022921)

I've been going to Physical Therapy 3 times a week for 4 weeks now.
I take a pair of shorts because I have water therapy each time before
the Iontophoresis. My pain level has gone down and so has the inflammation. I think I am making progress. When I see the Dr. this Fri. I plan to ask for 4 to 6 more week. The last time I had PF
I had physical therapy for 14 weeks 3 times a week and it really
help drive down the inflammation. The place I go to is very casual and easy going. If you forget something they have gowns. Good Luck

JudyS on 7/06/00 at 17:25 (022925)

Hey lady - given that you'd probably be the only person in history to wear a 1940's apron to PT (and probably the only person who has one...) I think you ought to choose that. Myself, well, I go towards my closet full of black, slinky things.....oh yeah - THAT closet is in my dreams..............I guess us regular folks wear what would be comfy in the gym - like sweats, etc. Keep that mind of your set, 'K? It helps us all...

wendyn on 7/06/00 at 17:53 (022928)

Bring a pair of fitted exercise shorts (not the baggy boxer short type - or wear the fitted ones underneath the baggy ones). If your physio is anything like mine you will be contorted into all kinds of unflattering positions and you don't want to be giving the folks in the next bed more information than they need to know about you.

john h on 7/06/00 at 18:49 (022931)

only a lady would ask such a question nancy. macho guys just strip down to their skivys and say 'hurt me if you can'.

Beverly on 7/06/00 at 19:05 (022933)

Nancy,

I've had lots of PT on the upperbody. I always wear a very baggy tee-shirt and baggy shorts. The main thing is to be comfy.
Good luck.

Beverly

Nancy S. on 7/07/00 at 08:10 (022957)

Thank you Lori, Pauline, Judy, Wendy, John, and Beverly for all your advice and a few laughs too -- all much appreciated. I believe I've got the picture now.
Lori and Pauline: The doc who referred me for PT was a walk-in clinic doc, not a foot doc per se. She didn't write out any specific instructions for the therapist and apparently is leaving it to the therapist to figure out what to do with me. Therapists generally can figure this out, yes? You both sound like you were/are being helped by PT. Have you found that they can get very specific about what to do at home, can advise you about how much resting to do, and so on? Did your therapists believe in starting out stretching and strengthening quite gradually, or did they plunge you into a heavy-duty regimen all of a sudden? Did the PT sessions feel comfortable or soothing, or should I expect some pain at first and not be alarmed if that happens? Thank you! --Nancy

john h on 7/07/00 at 08:56 (022966)

PT cured my achilles tendonitis (it hurt) within a few weeks. however, they knew less about PF than i did and provided little help and nothing new. better luck with a massage thearpist for PF.