Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and Bromelain

Posted by Terry on 7/06/00 at 16:38 (022919)

Just wanted to let you know that I have been reading here for about 6 mos. and to thank you for the wonderful advice. (Great sense of humor here, too!) I have had PF for 4 yrs, first 3 didn't know what it was. If 1st pod would've told me, I could've treated it differently. I've worn night splints for 6 mos, had PT, accupuncture (ouch) and every anti-imflammatory you can imagine. Like some of you, if anything touched my arch, the pain was severe. Lately I have stopped icing and all stretching. I have small children so rest is not easy, but I do what I can. I started Bromelain about 6 weeks ago and am finally seeing some improvement. My pain has gone from a 15 to a 5/6. What I would like to know from you Nancy and Kim, have these latest setbacks occured while you were taking bromelain or had you stopped or decreased dosage? Thanks, Terry

Re: PF and Bromelain

Pauline on 7/06/00 at 16:57 (022922)

Terry,
Can you tell me how much Bromelain you take. I am think of using it.

Terry on 7/06/00 at 17:09 (022924)

Bromelain - 600 g.d.u./3 times a day, empty stomach. Terry

Nancy S. on 7/07/00 at 07:43 (022954)

Hi Terry, welcome! In answer to your question, I was already taking bromelain when the achilles tendonitis started up. I do believe the bromelain was helping my PF, which was improving. It didn't prevent the AT from arriving, but I guess that would be too much to expect? I take two 600 gdu twice or three times a day, depending on, well, how good my mindfulness about it is.
Right now I'm doing a round of ibuprofen for the AT, but I'm still taking bromelain, and think that when I stop the ibuprofen I will try to up the bromelain dosage a bit -- I'm hoping it will kick in and help get rid of AT inflammation once I'm on the mend from that.
--Nancy

Helene M on 7/07/00 at 08:02 (022955)

I am taking 1000 GDUs 3X a day. I previously took half that dosage with no effect. I hope I'm not taking too much. However from all the reading I've done, bromelain seems to be safe. It's hard to find anyone who knows much about it, though.

Terry on 7/07/00 at 11:51 (022983)

Thanks, Nancy and Helene. I have also thought about increasing my dosage, but haven't found enough info. The people at the GNC near me only know how to work the cash register. I got mine at vitaminshoppe.com. If anyone has found it cheaper than that, I would be curious to know that, too. Thanks, Terry

Nancy S. on 7/07/00 at 13:03 (022987)

Terry, I get mine at the vitamin shoppe too -- it's the cheapest I've found. I don't know if you've been ordering from them for very long, but every few months they have this big sale, '40% off everything' or something like that. They say it as if this is your one chance to buy at a discount in a million years, but actually they run these sales often. Not being an idiot (usually), I wait and buy at those times. If you find anything cheaper, please post, ok?
--Nancy

Terry on 7/07/00 at 13:18 (022988)

Nancy - I have not ordered too much from the vitamin shoppe, but they do send me these emails all the time. I guess I should start reading them; maybe they want to give me a discount! Thanks, Terry

Robin B. on 7/07/00 at 17:43 (023004)

I have been taking bromelain everyday since July 1999 -- and will probably take it forever. I attribute a major part of my recovery to bromelain. I take about 1200 GDUs a day, spread out thru the day, on an empty stomach -- and if I slop up for a few days, I definitely feel the difference. So far, no adverse reactions at all. Hope it continues working for you.

Re: Considering Bromelain, but how does it affect a "tender" tummy.

Beverly on 7/07/00 at 19:16 (023009)

It sure does sound like quite a few people here like Bromelain! I too am considering it. The only anti-inflammatory that does not bother my stomach is Vioxx, and even it gets to me in high doses. I take 12.5 mg. of Vioxx. I hope I'm not asking a redundant question, but how does Bromelain affect your stomach? Those of you with tender tummy's, did it bother you? Nancy, you're mixing that with your IBU. Is that bothering your stomach? Does anyone know what Bromelain should not be mixed with?
Thanks,
Beverly

Helene M on 7/07/00 at 21:22 (023013)

Beverly, I had similar questions to yours & found a naturopath who answers questions by e-mail. I'll summarize his reply:
1. Do not take bromelain if you have intestinal ulcers or are prone to hemmorages.
2. Bromelain increases the absorption of antibiotics.
3. It may cause intestinal upset if you take too much, but you can remedy that by eating some food to absorb its action.
4. Not only the GDU's are important, but the milligrams as well. For optimum effect, take 3-4x day regardless of the dosage. 500 mg of 3,000 GDU has a stronger effect than 50 mg of the same GDU's.
Something he did not mention is that bromelain is a blood-thinner so be careful if you are also taking any blood-thinning medication. Hope this info helps.

Nancy S. on 7/07/00 at 21:52 (023015)

Beverly, so far I'm having no problem with my stomach. I take bromelain between eating times, and I take ibuprofen with food. I've never had a problem with either, and so far no problem taking both. The only anti-inflam. I ever had trouble with was Day-Pro. I've never taken Celebrex or Vioxx. I guess I'm not fond of the idea of the heavy-duty stuff, but I'm not thinking much about them since the bromelain and ibu. combo is not hurting me. Today my feet feel a bit better than they have in a while. Maybe it's a GREAT combo and I should be recommending it! I'll hold off though, till more time passes. --Nancy

JudyS on 7/09/00 at 00:11 (023061)

Robin - about that Bromelain.....I know we've had a discussion like this before but I'm not remembering the details. Seems to me that there was some information that the bromelain actually has two measurements - the GDU's and the mg's. I was remembering that when I bought some the other day and, in fact, I'd made notes on it when we talked about it before. The one I bought is 1000 GDU and 500 mg. each capsule. When you say 1200 GDU - do you take 1200 three times a day or do you take a TOTAL of 1200 GDU?

Robin B. on 7/09/00 at 07:54 (023063)

The caps I take are 500 mgs, and 600 gdus per gram, so that works out to only 300 gdus per capsule. I try to take about 3 or 4 capsules a day, spread out, on an empty stomach. Sometimes 3, sometimes 5 -- depends how my feet feel.

Been doing it for more than a year. Throughout most of my life I have had a delicate stomach -- and I find absolutely no ill effects with bromelain.

The important thing is to take it on a relatively empty stomach for an anti-inflammatory effect. I especially try to avoid taking it with protein, which compels it to act as a digestive enzyme (which is what it is).

Diet has also become important to me. I definitely can feel the difference in my feet with flour and wheat products, which I normally avoid. Generally, a low carb diet (not zero carbs, just low) works best for me.

From everything I have read, 1800 GDUs is considered a pretty serious dose per day. I find I can get by with a total of less than that -- sometimes 1200, sometimes 1500 gdus, over the course of the day. Sometimes -- only 900.

Nancy S. on 7/09/00 at 08:17 (023064)

How quickly we forget . . . Judy, I'm glad you asked Robin that. Somewhere along the line I forgot that new info. Are you taking it now? You'll let us know how much you take and if it helps you? (despite board avoidance, I hope?) --Nancy

Terry on 7/09/00 at 10:00 (023065)

Robin - Thanks for clarifying that. I am taking 500mg/600gdu PER GRAM. Terry

JudyS on 7/09/00 at 10:43 (023071)

Good Morning all - Robin, Nancy, my bromelain, by Natural Factors, is 1000 GDU, 500 mg each. So, from Robin's post, if I'm taking one of those three times a day, that measures out to be 3000 GDU which.....is too much? I'm so confused!

Nancy S. on 7/09/00 at 19:40 (023087)

Ok Judy, you're confused, and now I'm probably about to show myself as confused too, thank you very much for the opportunity, but here goes:
I THINK that 500 mg = half a gram. So on Robin's and my VitaminShoppe bottles, the label says '500 mg, 600 GDU per gram.' If 500 mg = half a gram, then in each capsule we're getting only half the 600 GDU, or 300.
If your label says '500 mg, 1000 GDU per gram,' then with each capsule you're getting 500 GDU, not 1000. So does your label say '1000 GDU per gram'?
I feel like I'm taking the SATs again and just might be flunking, so someone please correct me if I'm off.
Are you more confused now, Judy? If so, that makes Beverly and you I've confused tonight. Maybe I should try for a third!
--Nancy

Re: PF and Bromelain, confusion, SATS, measurements...

JudyS on 7/11/00 at 18:05 (023155)

Sure am glad I never had to deal with the SAT! But I do wonder how I got through college without having to....guess I'm just special!

My bottle of bromelain says each capsule has 1000 GDU .....extract, 500mg. However, it also reads that the manufacturer uses 'only extra-strength bromelain, 1000 GDU of extract PER GRAM. So....

ROBIN .........HELP!

Pauline on 7/06/00 at 16:57 (022922)

Terry,
Can you tell me how much Bromelain you take. I am think of using it.

Terry on 7/06/00 at 17:09 (022924)

Bromelain - 600 g.d.u./3 times a day, empty stomach. Terry

Nancy S. on 7/07/00 at 07:43 (022954)

Hi Terry, welcome! In answer to your question, I was already taking bromelain when the achilles tendonitis started up. I do believe the bromelain was helping my PF, which was improving. It didn't prevent the AT from arriving, but I guess that would be too much to expect? I take two 600 gdu twice or three times a day, depending on, well, how good my mindfulness about it is.
Right now I'm doing a round of ibuprofen for the AT, but I'm still taking bromelain, and think that when I stop the ibuprofen I will try to up the bromelain dosage a bit -- I'm hoping it will kick in and help get rid of AT inflammation once I'm on the mend from that.
--Nancy

Helene M on 7/07/00 at 08:02 (022955)

I am taking 1000 GDUs 3X a day. I previously took half that dosage with no effect. I hope I'm not taking too much. However from all the reading I've done, bromelain seems to be safe. It's hard to find anyone who knows much about it, though.

Terry on 7/07/00 at 11:51 (022983)

Thanks, Nancy and Helene. I have also thought about increasing my dosage, but haven't found enough info. The people at the GNC near me only know how to work the cash register. I got mine at vitaminshoppe.com. If anyone has found it cheaper than that, I would be curious to know that, too. Thanks, Terry

Nancy S. on 7/07/00 at 13:03 (022987)

Terry, I get mine at the vitamin shoppe too -- it's the cheapest I've found. I don't know if you've been ordering from them for very long, but every few months they have this big sale, '40% off everything' or something like that. They say it as if this is your one chance to buy at a discount in a million years, but actually they run these sales often. Not being an idiot (usually), I wait and buy at those times. If you find anything cheaper, please post, ok?
--Nancy

Terry on 7/07/00 at 13:18 (022988)

Nancy - I have not ordered too much from the vitamin shoppe, but they do send me these emails all the time. I guess I should start reading them; maybe they want to give me a discount! Thanks, Terry

Robin B. on 7/07/00 at 17:43 (023004)

I have been taking bromelain everyday since July 1999 -- and will probably take it forever. I attribute a major part of my recovery to bromelain. I take about 1200 GDUs a day, spread out thru the day, on an empty stomach -- and if I slop up for a few days, I definitely feel the difference. So far, no adverse reactions at all. Hope it continues working for you.

Beverly on 7/07/00 at 19:16 (023009)

It sure does sound like quite a few people here like Bromelain! I too am considering it. The only anti-inflammatory that does not bother my stomach is Vioxx, and even it gets to me in high doses. I take 12.5 mg. of Vioxx. I hope I'm not asking a redundant question, but how does Bromelain affect your stomach? Those of you with tender tummy's, did it bother you? Nancy, you're mixing that with your IBU. Is that bothering your stomach? Does anyone know what Bromelain should not be mixed with?
Thanks,
Beverly

Helene M on 7/07/00 at 21:22 (023013)

Beverly, I had similar questions to yours & found a naturopath who answers questions by e-mail. I'll summarize his reply:
1. Do not take bromelain if you have intestinal ulcers or are prone to hemmorages.
2. Bromelain increases the absorption of antibiotics.
3. It may cause intestinal upset if you take too much, but you can remedy that by eating some food to absorb its action.
4. Not only the GDU's are important, but the milligrams as well. For optimum effect, take 3-4x day regardless of the dosage. 500 mg of 3,000 GDU has a stronger effect than 50 mg of the same GDU's.
Something he did not mention is that bromelain is a blood-thinner so be careful if you are also taking any blood-thinning medication. Hope this info helps.

Nancy S. on 7/07/00 at 21:52 (023015)

Beverly, so far I'm having no problem with my stomach. I take bromelain between eating times, and I take ibuprofen with food. I've never had a problem with either, and so far no problem taking both. The only anti-inflam. I ever had trouble with was Day-Pro. I've never taken Celebrex or Vioxx. I guess I'm not fond of the idea of the heavy-duty stuff, but I'm not thinking much about them since the bromelain and ibu. combo is not hurting me. Today my feet feel a bit better than they have in a while. Maybe it's a GREAT combo and I should be recommending it! I'll hold off though, till more time passes. --Nancy

JudyS on 7/09/00 at 00:11 (023061)

Robin - about that Bromelain.....I know we've had a discussion like this before but I'm not remembering the details. Seems to me that there was some information that the bromelain actually has two measurements - the GDU's and the mg's. I was remembering that when I bought some the other day and, in fact, I'd made notes on it when we talked about it before. The one I bought is 1000 GDU and 500 mg. each capsule. When you say 1200 GDU - do you take 1200 three times a day or do you take a TOTAL of 1200 GDU?

Robin B. on 7/09/00 at 07:54 (023063)

The caps I take are 500 mgs, and 600 gdus per gram, so that works out to only 300 gdus per capsule. I try to take about 3 or 4 capsules a day, spread out, on an empty stomach. Sometimes 3, sometimes 5 -- depends how my feet feel.

Been doing it for more than a year. Throughout most of my life I have had a delicate stomach -- and I find absolutely no ill effects with bromelain.

The important thing is to take it on a relatively empty stomach for an anti-inflammatory effect. I especially try to avoid taking it with protein, which compels it to act as a digestive enzyme (which is what it is).

Diet has also become important to me. I definitely can feel the difference in my feet with flour and wheat products, which I normally avoid. Generally, a low carb diet (not zero carbs, just low) works best for me.

From everything I have read, 1800 GDUs is considered a pretty serious dose per day. I find I can get by with a total of less than that -- sometimes 1200, sometimes 1500 gdus, over the course of the day. Sometimes -- only 900.

Nancy S. on 7/09/00 at 08:17 (023064)

How quickly we forget . . . Judy, I'm glad you asked Robin that. Somewhere along the line I forgot that new info. Are you taking it now? You'll let us know how much you take and if it helps you? (despite board avoidance, I hope?) --Nancy

Terry on 7/09/00 at 10:00 (023065)

Robin - Thanks for clarifying that. I am taking 500mg/600gdu PER GRAM. Terry

JudyS on 7/09/00 at 10:43 (023071)

Good Morning all - Robin, Nancy, my bromelain, by Natural Factors, is 1000 GDU, 500 mg each. So, from Robin's post, if I'm taking one of those three times a day, that measures out to be 3000 GDU which.....is too much? I'm so confused!

Nancy S. on 7/09/00 at 19:40 (023087)

Ok Judy, you're confused, and now I'm probably about to show myself as confused too, thank you very much for the opportunity, but here goes:
I THINK that 500 mg = half a gram. So on Robin's and my VitaminShoppe bottles, the label says '500 mg, 600 GDU per gram.' If 500 mg = half a gram, then in each capsule we're getting only half the 600 GDU, or 300.
If your label says '500 mg, 1000 GDU per gram,' then with each capsule you're getting 500 GDU, not 1000. So does your label say '1000 GDU per gram'?
I feel like I'm taking the SATs again and just might be flunking, so someone please correct me if I'm off.
Are you more confused now, Judy? If so, that makes Beverly and you I've confused tonight. Maybe I should try for a third!
--Nancy

Re: PF and Bromelain, confusion, SATS, measurements...

JudyS on 7/11/00 at 18:05 (023155)

Sure am glad I never had to deal with the SAT! But I do wonder how I got through college without having to....guess I'm just special!

My bottle of bromelain says each capsule has 1000 GDU .....extract, 500mg. However, it also reads that the manufacturer uses 'only extra-strength bromelain, 1000 GDU of extract PER GRAM. So....

ROBIN .........HELP!