Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recovered and exercising...a little pain. is it bad?

Posted by April on 7/07/00 at 12:44 (022986)

I've finally recoverd from PF and have been symptom free for about 6 months. I walk every day and have just started treadmill, bike and weights. I always stretch a little, do bike, then the treadmill. I am aware of a little,,, and I do mean little pain in my foot on the treadmill but it passes in a couple minutes. It's kind of like a tightness that loosens. I'm wondering if I'm doing myself more damage or if I'm doing more good. It's important to note that I have no pain after the activity and no pain after sleep. That's good right????

Re: Recovered and exercising...a little pain. is it bad?

alan k on 7/07/00 at 17:45 (023005)

If you are perfectly painfree in other activities, why not just stick to those?

Treadmills are like running up hills-- the classic pf cause-- in that they are inclined.

I would skip this exercise forever, and enjoy all the other ones that are open to you. Wow, I'm so jealous!

alan k

Dr. Biehler on 7/08/00 at 08:16 (023024)

April, It could be just a little tightness that loosens up especially if you ride a bike before doing the treadmill. If the pain passes quickly and the foot does not hurt after your body has recovered from the exercises, I would not be too worried about it at this point. Be sure the shoes you run in on the treadmill have lots of cushioning in the heel.If the pain starts to act different, always listen to your body. Dr. Biehler

April on 7/08/00 at 12:13 (023029)

Thanks for the tips doctor. I think that if I warm myself up on the bike, stretch, and then proceed to treadmill..I should be fine. Not exercising is Not an option. The rest of me falling apart will not increase my happiness.

April on 7/08/00 at 12:21 (023030)

Hi Alan,

I am wary of the treadmill. I keep it to 0 incline and certainly don't run. So far so good. Stationary bike I do to 'lube' up before the treadmill. I think these things are doable and I don't want to give them up. I'm listening to my feet very carefully and will stop right away if there is any pain that's not going to pass. I'm sorry that you have to suffer with PF. It is a very debilitating condition. I might add that the first thing that helped me on the road to recovery is custom orthincs from a pod.

alan k on 7/07/00 at 17:45 (023005)

If you are perfectly painfree in other activities, why not just stick to those?

Treadmills are like running up hills-- the classic pf cause-- in that they are inclined.

I would skip this exercise forever, and enjoy all the other ones that are open to you. Wow, I'm so jealous!

alan k

Dr. Biehler on 7/08/00 at 08:16 (023024)

April, It could be just a little tightness that loosens up especially if you ride a bike before doing the treadmill. If the pain passes quickly and the foot does not hurt after your body has recovered from the exercises, I would not be too worried about it at this point. Be sure the shoes you run in on the treadmill have lots of cushioning in the heel.If the pain starts to act different, always listen to your body. Dr. Biehler

April on 7/08/00 at 12:13 (023029)

Thanks for the tips doctor. I think that if I warm myself up on the bike, stretch, and then proceed to treadmill..I should be fine. Not exercising is Not an option. The rest of me falling apart will not increase my happiness.

April on 7/08/00 at 12:21 (023030)

Hi Alan,

I am wary of the treadmill. I keep it to 0 incline and certainly don't run. So far so good. Stationary bike I do to 'lube' up before the treadmill. I think these things are doable and I don't want to give them up. I'm listening to my feet very carefully and will stop right away if there is any pain that's not going to pass. I'm sorry that you have to suffer with PF. It is a very debilitating condition. I might add that the first thing that helped me on the road to recovery is custom orthincs from a pod.