Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Which kind of yoga? And yoga vs. pilates? ... I'm a bit better...

Posted by Beverly on 7/08/00 at 22:27 (023051)

I bought a video on beginner's yoga. It is Hatha yoga. I am now realizing that there are several different kinds of yoga. I have a pain management book that says Kundalini (sp?) yoga is best for pain control. The book shows some basic positions. I know zip about yoga. Some of the positions on the video on Hatha yoga look questionable for the feet. Some are obvious. But what about things like 'sitting pretty' where you have your feet tucked under your butt and some of the standing yoga positions? Because I have a tricky neck, I have to bear that in mind too.

Also, I have a Pilates book. The moves look similar to yoga. To some extent, Pilates looks easier.

I bought both of these items before my setback (before the ill fated vacation that sent me home barely walking, plus reinjuring my neck through those awful crutches.). Now, five weeks later, I am just starting to feel a bit better and able to think about trying one of them again. Not sure where or how to begin or which one to try first. I don't want to overdo anything. At this point, I am mostly just doing research while I wait to start PT. (Giving my feet one more week of rest before I start PT.)

I credit rest and getting into Birks as a big part of getting to this point. By no means, am I well. Every step I take still has anything from mild discomfort to all out TOTAL pain, but I seem to be getting around better. My big accomplishment was going to the Health Food Store for the first time in five weeks! That was something I could not have done a month ago. Yes, my feet hurt and I went home to ice, but just being well enough to even attempt it was a major accomplishment! Five weeks ago, I could not have even tried.
I still would not tackle a supermarket without the electric cart, and I would not even dream of going to the mall.

So any yoga fans out there... which kind do you practice and has it bothered anyone's neck or back... especially those of you with neck/back troubles?

Oh also, my type A personality finds that it is easy for too much activity and nonrest to creep back into my schedule. Here is my new tactic. In my Daytimer, I am marking out two days a week where I write 'REST.' That means, I can't go anywhere those two days... not even to the drivethru... just stay at home, and it also means I limit my computer time on those days. (Sitting at the computer for long stretches bothers me too.) There is something about putting it in my daytimer that helps me stick to it. Sounds silly, but it helps me map out my week. I should probably have more days of TOTAL REST, but I am starting to go bonkers at home. But everyday, I am still getting at least half a day of rest.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Which kind of yoga? And yoga vs. pilates? ... I'm a bit better...

Kim B. on 7/09/00 at 10:04 (023066)

Hi Beverly,

I have a Hoffa Yoga tape too. On really bad days I skip the standing postures. Also, probably a no no, but I often wear supportive shoes when I'm doing them. On certian poses, I can see where shoes might interfere with some of the balancing.

I am in the market to buy a Pilates yoga tape. From everything I've heard and read, I'll probably like it. The Kundalinis would be worth looking in to also.

Those rest days sound like a fantastic plan of action. If I did't have a 4 year old, I would do that too. He starts kindergarden a year from this September. I'll miss him during the day, but my feet won't. Anyway, if your friends call and want you to go somewhere on one of your rest days, just tell them you're your feet are in 'time-out'.

Good luck and Regards,
Kim B.,

alan k on 7/09/00 at 13:45 (023079)

I wouldn't prioritize any kinds of yoga since they act differently and (mostly) are worth doing in combination. Pilates and Kundalini yoga I would put at extreme ends, with Hatha Yoga (I don't know much about Hoffa yoga, you'ld have to ask a union organizer about that) in the middle. Pilates is simply calisthenics. Very good to get the blood pumping and strenghten the body, as well as targeted to correct posture which will ultimately improve gait and so also foot pain in the long run. Kundalini yoga focuses more on breath-motion work and raising energy. It might be good for negotiating pain reactions in your mind. Hatha yoga is a bit of both. What ever is availalbe to you, that is what you should do. Especially if you have particular physical problems you should have a qualified instructor, at least for a few days or sessions, to make sure you don't hurt yourself.

I could probably help in person but at this distance I can only say to avoid engaging the neck in any exercises, if it is bothering you, and let the healing work concentrate on the other parts of the body-- the benefit will translate into the neck too. With a specific problem like that you should not target the problem spot without some knowledge of what will help and what could hurt.

I haven't seen any Pilates exercises that involve the neck specificvally.

alan k

Kim B. on 7/09/00 at 10:04 (023066)

Hi Beverly,

I have a Hoffa Yoga tape too. On really bad days I skip the standing postures. Also, probably a no no, but I often wear supportive shoes when I'm doing them. On certian poses, I can see where shoes might interfere with some of the balancing.

I am in the market to buy a Pilates yoga tape. From everything I've heard and read, I'll probably like it. The Kundalinis would be worth looking in to also.

Those rest days sound like a fantastic plan of action. If I did't have a 4 year old, I would do that too. He starts kindergarden a year from this September. I'll miss him during the day, but my feet won't. Anyway, if your friends call and want you to go somewhere on one of your rest days, just tell them you're your feet are in 'time-out'.

Good luck and Regards,
Kim B.,

alan k on 7/09/00 at 13:45 (023079)

I wouldn't prioritize any kinds of yoga since they act differently and (mostly) are worth doing in combination. Pilates and Kundalini yoga I would put at extreme ends, with Hatha Yoga (I don't know much about Hoffa yoga, you'ld have to ask a union organizer about that) in the middle. Pilates is simply calisthenics. Very good to get the blood pumping and strenghten the body, as well as targeted to correct posture which will ultimately improve gait and so also foot pain in the long run. Kundalini yoga focuses more on breath-motion work and raising energy. It might be good for negotiating pain reactions in your mind. Hatha yoga is a bit of both. What ever is availalbe to you, that is what you should do. Especially if you have particular physical problems you should have a qualified instructor, at least for a few days or sessions, to make sure you don't hurt yourself.

I could probably help in person but at this distance I can only say to avoid engaging the neck in any exercises, if it is bothering you, and let the healing work concentrate on the other parts of the body-- the benefit will translate into the neck too. With a specific problem like that you should not target the problem spot without some knowledge of what will help and what could hurt.

I haven't seen any Pilates exercises that involve the neck specificvally.

alan k