Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkibuc vs. Leather & other questions about Birk line/styles

Posted by Beverly on 7/09/00 at 10:07 (023067)

I am definitely becoming a Birk devotee. Now, that I am rotating shoes, nothing compares to my Birk Arizona's. But if I wear them everyday, the straps get uncomfortable (where they hit me), and I think one thing my doctors have been right about is the need to rotate shoes.

My newly aquired Athletic shoes are going right back to the store. It amazes me that these very stable looking Brooks athletic shoes with inserts do not relieve my pain as well as the Arizona sandals! My only other shoe that even comes close is my Chaco River sandal (for the shower, gardening, and pool).( I tried the Birk Gizeh thong and it is okay, but it does not offer enough stability... makes me walk funny.) I must average returning about 75% of the shoes I buy these days! But so far, I have had no problems with returns. So I haven't broken the bank as much as I thought I did, because 75% of the shoes went right back to the store!

So, I am trying to decide which Birk to try next. I like the softest leather possible. My Arizona is the 'Cortina' leather... very soft.
What is the Birkibuc like? Is that softer than regular leather? Is Nubuck softer than regular leather? I have not seen the regular leather. I've seen only the Cortina leather and the Nubuck. Does the suede, which is of course very soft, seem to offer enough stablity? I will have to do this by mail order, but now that I know my size in the classic footbed, I think that will be okay.

Besides the Milano, I am considering these styles: (Please bear in mind that I have a somewhat high arch. I wear a 'B' width. I used to be a A width but PF has changed me to a B.) Obviously, I can't get all of these. I'm 'window shopping.'

1. The Florida. (But if last strap comes higher up the foot than the Arizona, I would not like the Florida... can't tell from picture.)

2. The Boston in suede (I would have to go up a size, because the Arizona just fits me. I wonder how that would effect the overall fit.)

3. The London. I am actually torn between the Boston and The London for a 'closed' in shoe. I have to start thinking about the fall. Living in the South, this is not the issue it is for some of you, but we do get a few chilly months. Once again, I would have to go up a size. (Boy Wendyn, I would hate to think about walking in sandals with 2 feet of snow! We southerners think as soon as it dips down under 60, it is cold...)

4.The Oklahoma from the Tatami line. According to catalog, I would go up a size? Anyone like this shoe? How is it different from the Boston?

5.The Zurich. I have not heard anyone mention this shoe, but it looks very comfortable.

6.The Nebraska, but if it is more narrow than the other classic line shoes, it would not fit me right now. Nancy, the catalog people think this shoe runs narrow. Have you found that to be true? Is it more narrow than your other Birks?

7. The Tatami outdoor line sandals... especially the Sonoma or Ottawa. They look very stable from the picture. I like the velcro. Has anyone tried these or any of Birk's outdoor sandals? Tatami puts me up a size according to catalog.

8. Finally, I am looking at the Footprints line. I did a word search and old posts were conflicted on this line in regards to the amount of support offered... some liked it; some didn't. Once again, according to catalog, you go up a size in the Footprints.

Well gang, do pray we don't get a hurricane. As we enter the peak of hurricane season, I am remembering that I spent my long saved hurricane shutter savings account on expensive Euro shoes and other treatment for my feet! I may get blown away, but I will be in good shoes! You know, before I got this foot problem, my idea of an expensive pair of shoes was $50.00! Boy, how our perspective changes!

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Birkibuc vs. Leather & other questions about Birk line/styles

Nancy S. on 7/09/00 at 19:01 (023086)

Beverly, I wear size 39 narrow in Boston and size 40 narrow in Tatami Nebraska. I'm not sure why you'd need to go up a size in the Boston from Arizona. However, I am getting size 40 narrow in Boston for next winter so I can wear thick socks in them, so maybe that's what you're thinking.
My Bostons are suede and my Nebraskas are Nubuk, and I like them both equally well -- they're not hard or stiff, but still provide plenty of stability. Actually, the suede Bostons are very stable, not too soft at all.
Since I take narrow anyway, I can't really answer your question about whether the Nebraskas run narrow. I guess the only comparison I can make is to the Bostons, and both pairs seem the right/same width for my feet.
So are you more confused than ever? I'm dying to try those Sonomas, but possibly I shouldn't right now with achilles tendonitis.
Ok, I'll end here -- john h is going to scream when he reads all this shoe talk.
--Nancy

Re: Birkibuc vs. Leather & other questions about Birk line/styles

Nancy S. on 7/09/00 at 19:01 (023086)

Beverly, I wear size 39 narrow in Boston and size 40 narrow in Tatami Nebraska. I'm not sure why you'd need to go up a size in the Boston from Arizona. However, I am getting size 40 narrow in Boston for next winter so I can wear thick socks in them, so maybe that's what you're thinking.
My Bostons are suede and my Nebraskas are Nubuk, and I like them both equally well -- they're not hard or stiff, but still provide plenty of stability. Actually, the suede Bostons are very stable, not too soft at all.
Since I take narrow anyway, I can't really answer your question about whether the Nebraskas run narrow. I guess the only comparison I can make is to the Bostons, and both pairs seem the right/same width for my feet.
So are you more confused than ever? I'm dying to try those Sonomas, but possibly I shouldn't right now with achilles tendonitis.
Ok, I'll end here -- john h is going to scream when he reads all this shoe talk.
--Nancy