Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoe support on a boat

Posted by Meredith F on 7/10/00 at 09:39 (023097)

Hello Everyone! I am newly diagnosed with PF and your message board has been VERY informative. I apologize for bringing up the 'shoe' topic, but I am looking for advice. I work on small power boat most of the week, which involves standing on a flat, hard suface and holding on for dear life! I am a research diver, so we just move from site to site. Therefore, it is not very practical for me to take off my dive booties and put on a pair of 'birks' or such between sites. Any suggestions, besides staying off my feet as much as possible? Any shoes that you would recommend to put OVER my booties while I am on the boat, and that can get completely soaked? I guess I am going to have to give up my 'barefoot/flip flop' lifestyle. BTW, are there any traditional flip flops out there with arch support? I've been looking... Thank you for your attention! Meredit

Re: Shoe support on a boat

Beverly on 7/10/00 at 14:34 (023109)

Meridith,

I have a river sandal/sport sandal that I LOVE for the shower, watering the yard, and pool. It is made by Chaco... expensive but worth it. I found it at a store that carries Birks, Mephestos, Danskos, ect... You won't find Chaco at at department store. Look for someplace that carries the European walking shoes like Birks. It looks like a TEVA, but the shank is firmer. There is definite arch support and a clearly defined heel cup. The top part is very comfortable. I don't know how they would hold up wearing for extended times. I will say that after trying many shoes, they are my second favorite shoe after the Birks. They are completely waterproof. I have tried on TEVA's in the store, and there are people on the board who love them, but I have not found them to offer enough support to try. Shoes are so personal... just have to try them on.

The Chaco is definitely not a flip flop but it is very comfortable and even if I didn't have a foot problem, I would buy them just because they are so comfortable.

Good Luck,
Beverly

Mary J on 7/11/00 at 07:46 (023133)

Meredith, I bought a pair of 'shower' shoes at Target which are black with a white flower on the top front. They have an arch support similar to Birks, except they don't fall down in the heel. They are great for going swimming, and even in the shower. They cost $6. They don't stop my pain, but they are as good as any orthotic I have. Walgreen's also have a black 'shower' shoe which look exactly like Birks ($5) except they are rubber or plastic. I don't like them as well as the Target shoes because of the heel sink down. Hope these help you on the boat. Mary J.

JudyS on 7/11/00 at 18:08 (023156)

Hi Meredith - can I have your job? It sounds fascinating! About those Birks - you might want to check their website (link on this site) or your local Birks store - I'm pretty sure they make one or two for water use. Maybe you could get a size or two larger to slip on over your diving shoes.

Beverly on 7/10/00 at 14:34 (023109)

Meridith,

I have a river sandal/sport sandal that I LOVE for the shower, watering the yard, and pool. It is made by Chaco... expensive but worth it. I found it at a store that carries Birks, Mephestos, Danskos, ect... You won't find Chaco at at department store. Look for someplace that carries the European walking shoes like Birks. It looks like a TEVA, but the shank is firmer. There is definite arch support and a clearly defined heel cup. The top part is very comfortable. I don't know how they would hold up wearing for extended times. I will say that after trying many shoes, they are my second favorite shoe after the Birks. They are completely waterproof. I have tried on TEVA's in the store, and there are people on the board who love them, but I have not found them to offer enough support to try. Shoes are so personal... just have to try them on.

The Chaco is definitely not a flip flop but it is very comfortable and even if I didn't have a foot problem, I would buy them just because they are so comfortable.

Good Luck,
Beverly

Mary J on 7/11/00 at 07:46 (023133)

Meredith, I bought a pair of 'shower' shoes at Target which are black with a white flower on the top front. They have an arch support similar to Birks, except they don't fall down in the heel. They are great for going swimming, and even in the shower. They cost $6. They don't stop my pain, but they are as good as any orthotic I have. Walgreen's also have a black 'shower' shoe which look exactly like Birks ($5) except they are rubber or plastic. I don't like them as well as the Target shoes because of the heel sink down. Hope these help you on the boat. Mary J.

JudyS on 7/11/00 at 18:08 (023156)

Hi Meredith - can I have your job? It sounds fascinating! About those Birks - you might want to check their website (link on this site) or your local Birks store - I'm pretty sure they make one or two for water use. Maybe you could get a size or two larger to slip on over your diving shoes.