Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

There IS hope!

Posted by April on 7/10/00 at 13:30 (023106)

I've had PF for over 2 years and now have been symptom free for months. I dropped 35 pounds just eating right..that took about a year. About a month ago I started walking 20 minutes a night for about a week, always stretching before and after. I wear my orhotics religiously. I always stretch before I get out of bed too. I worked up to walking 40 minutes every night and remained symptom free. Last week I started bike (5 min) and weights at the gym. Now I've done bike, walking on the treadmill and 10 min on the stepper. No symptoms so far!!! I'm elated!! I'll always conceed to the fact that I have PF. I will never beat it....but I can manage it! There IS hope.

Re: There IS hope!

Beverly on 7/10/00 at 14:20 (023108)

April,

Thanks for giving your progress report. Two years is a long time! How bad were you at its worst? Was it hard to do normal living like grocery shopping?

I wish you the best of luck. It is very encouraging to hear positive reports.
Beverly

Laurie R on 7/10/00 at 14:58 (023110)

Hi April,
This is so good to hear,you sound like you took things slow,thats what I am working on.And you are so right don't ever give up on hope ,because if you do than you lost.Keep on feeling good. My very best to you..Laurie R

Steve P on 7/10/00 at 15:20 (023111)

April --- Thanks so much for your message. It offers encouragement to many of us who need it. You are also serving as an example of how to successfully return to normal activities, which is GRADUALLY. Thanks for telling us.

Karen S on 7/10/00 at 15:21 (023112)

It sounds as though you have everything under control. Good for you! keep up the good work. Karen

Re: There IS hope! Reply to Beverly

April on 7/11/00 at 12:20 (023141)

Hi Beverly, I was so bad that I couldn't walk 15 minutes without pain. Orthotics boosted that to about 1/2 hour. I always had tenderness when I woke up for months and months. I wore my orthotics religiously. Ugly things...and always stretched before I got out of bed. I made sure I did NO movement that caused foot impact. I didn't ice unless it got really bad and I took over the counter IBprofen if I thought I made a jarring movement that might cost me. Slowly, very slowly,,,,the pain went away...but I kept stretching...nothing fancy...just pointing my toes at the cealing and flexing them towards my shins. Nothing that would rip what was healing....then as months past...I did calf stretches standing up.
What started your condition?

Beverly on 7/10/00 at 14:20 (023108)

April,

Thanks for giving your progress report. Two years is a long time! How bad were you at its worst? Was it hard to do normal living like grocery shopping?

I wish you the best of luck. It is very encouraging to hear positive reports.
Beverly

Laurie R on 7/10/00 at 14:58 (023110)

Hi April,
This is so good to hear,you sound like you took things slow,thats what I am working on.And you are so right don't ever give up on hope ,because if you do than you lost.Keep on feeling good. My very best to you..Laurie R

Steve P on 7/10/00 at 15:20 (023111)

April --- Thanks so much for your message. It offers encouragement to many of us who need it. You are also serving as an example of how to successfully return to normal activities, which is GRADUALLY. Thanks for telling us.

Karen S on 7/10/00 at 15:21 (023112)

It sounds as though you have everything under control. Good for you! keep up the good work. Karen

Re: There IS hope! Reply to Beverly

April on 7/11/00 at 12:20 (023141)

Hi Beverly, I was so bad that I couldn't walk 15 minutes without pain. Orthotics boosted that to about 1/2 hour. I always had tenderness when I woke up for months and months. I wore my orthotics religiously. Ugly things...and always stretched before I got out of bed. I made sure I did NO movement that caused foot impact. I didn't ice unless it got really bad and I took over the counter IBprofen if I thought I made a jarring movement that might cost me. Slowly, very slowly,,,,the pain went away...but I kept stretching...nothing fancy...just pointing my toes at the cealing and flexing them towards my shins. Nothing that would rip what was healing....then as months past...I did calf stretches standing up.
What started your condition?