Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthopedist said that there is nothing else that he can do for me.

Posted by Colleen G on 7/10/00 at 18:04 (023113)

Well 18 months into this monster, having tried everything under the sun including surgery, there is no change. surgery was 8 months ago. THE orthopedist gave me another cortizone injection and said that there is nothing else that he can do for me. He will not put me out on disablity.

SO I am now searching for a 4th doctor. Choices are running slim in terms of doctors. I am getting extremely frustrated. I think that if I could have a few months off my feet that I could get over this thing. Now I just have to find a doctor that would consider putting me out on disability.

Has anyone else ever had a doctor tell them this?

Oh, btw, I fractured my big toe last night on the same foot with the PF. My luck keeps getting better and better. Maybe I'll win the lottery some day. LOL

Re: Orthopedist said that there is nothing else that he can do for me.

Dr. Biehler on 7/10/00 at 19:34 (023118)

I have treated may people who were out on disability because of pain in the foot. The problem is that pain is subjective and all a Doctor can write is that the patient states they are in pain. The Doctor can state he thinks the patient needs to be off his feet. Cortisone shots have helped a lot of people, but if they are not helping keep in mind they can weaken the fascia. There have been people who have found relief with the eswt. I hope things start to improve for you and I do hope you win the lottery. Dr. Biehler

GinaC on 7/10/00 at 20:43 (023120)

I've had PF for over 3 years now, and have been told 'there's nothing else I can do' by both a podiatrist and an orthopedic surgeon. There are some things you can do: find another doctor who is more innovative, try alternative therapies (accupuncture, massage), or look into ESWT (which did help me to some degree-about 50% improvement). Don't let ourself be written off. Although I'm not currently employed, I still find it impossible to rest, and this may be part of my problem. Have no experience with the disability issue. Good luck.

Karen S on 7/10/00 at 21:44 (023122)

I was in the same position as you with pain. My own family docter took me off work a month before my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon. I could barely walk let alone work for 8 hrs. on my feet. I've been off work since Apr. 12th, my surgery was on June 29th and the earliest date put down to return to work is Oct. 1st. My family docter is very good at listening and has told me himself not to rush myself. Mind you I am in major pain and it's too early to tell if the surgery was successful or not. Try getting your family docter to back you up. He should know your history better than anyone.

Dr. Biehler on 7/10/00 at 19:34 (023118)

I have treated may people who were out on disability because of pain in the foot. The problem is that pain is subjective and all a Doctor can write is that the patient states they are in pain. The Doctor can state he thinks the patient needs to be off his feet. Cortisone shots have helped a lot of people, but if they are not helping keep in mind they can weaken the fascia. There have been people who have found relief with the eswt. I hope things start to improve for you and I do hope you win the lottery. Dr. Biehler

GinaC on 7/10/00 at 20:43 (023120)

I've had PF for over 3 years now, and have been told 'there's nothing else I can do' by both a podiatrist and an orthopedic surgeon. There are some things you can do: find another doctor who is more innovative, try alternative therapies (accupuncture, massage), or look into ESWT (which did help me to some degree-about 50% improvement). Don't let ourself be written off. Although I'm not currently employed, I still find it impossible to rest, and this may be part of my problem. Have no experience with the disability issue. Good luck.

Karen S on 7/10/00 at 21:44 (023122)

I was in the same position as you with pain. My own family docter took me off work a month before my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon. I could barely walk let alone work for 8 hrs. on my feet. I've been off work since Apr. 12th, my surgery was on June 29th and the earliest date put down to return to work is Oct. 1st. My family docter is very good at listening and has told me himself not to rush myself. Mind you I am in major pain and it's too early to tell if the surgery was successful or not. Try getting your family docter to back you up. He should know your history better than anyone.