Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and depression - pity party

Posted by Lori E. on 7/11/00 at 20:31 (023164)

I have had PF now for almost a year, and I have had a horrible experience with the resulting depression and my job. I got on antidepressants about 7 months ago, and am making some progress with that too. I am leaving my job at the end of the month with severance pay, and starting back to school part time in Sept. I am hoping to find a job where I am not on my feet as much. My PF is healing up slowly, but my boss and co-workers just haven't been able to 'get it' about how PF and depression can effect your work performance as well as the rest of your life. I thought they would be more understanding because of the kind of company it is and the people we serve, but the end result is me leaving my job.
This whole ordeal made me think about what was wrong with my life, I heard that sometimes your body is trying to tell you something when you have chronic pain. So I figured I needed to try something else. I am going back to school and starting to study for a new career. I am looking for a job in the meantime that will not aggrevate my PF like this one did. Wish me luck.

Re: PF and depression - pity party

JudyS on 7/11/00 at 20:38 (023165)

Lori what an EXCELLENT idea to go to school! That kind of decision-making only goes to show that you are actually a very strong and bright person - in spite of your PF and it's resulting depression. I vote hurray for you!

Pauline on 7/11/00 at 21:04 (023169)

Way to go Lori. If plan A doesn't work out you try plan B. I know
first hand about PF and depression. I think your school plan and
a new job is just what you needed. Start fresh and don't look back.
The change should be great. As you can see from my own posting,
I'm down too---it's part of PF because it takes soooo long to go away. Sometimes I think there is no light at the tunnel, but then
I remember I got rid of it last time after 2 1/2 years. This time
I try to tell myself, wait another 2 1/2 years then you have the right to worry. Just keep posting, we can help each other.

Karen S on 7/11/00 at 21:59 (023174)

Way to go Lori. Changing jobs is a big decision that I myself might have to do. I work on my feet all day, but have been off since April 12th due to the pain. After about an hour at work I could barely walk. Well I had my surgery on June 29th, but the results aren't in as to whether it has done any good. Will let you's know if that day ever comes. As for the depression, it's hard to have a good outlook, but I keep trying. Some days are better than others.

Beverly on 7/12/00 at 12:38 (023210)

Lori,

It sounds like you are being proactive and doing something! That is wonderful. Good luck with school. What are you going to study? I spent alot of years in school between undergrad and grad school. Campuses can involve alot of walking. Park smart. Can you get a handicap parking sticker? It will make all the difference in the world for you so that you don't have to walk so far that you're crawling by the time you get to your class. Also, I went to a college with very limited parking. I used to get to class 45 min early to get a good parking space. The 8:00 a.m. classes offer the best shot at a good space if you will get there early. I also found that the evening classes were easier in terms of parking if you got there early. Ditto on right after lunch classes if you get there early.

Good luck,
Beverly

JudyS on 7/11/00 at 20:38 (023165)

Lori what an EXCELLENT idea to go to school! That kind of decision-making only goes to show that you are actually a very strong and bright person - in spite of your PF and it's resulting depression. I vote hurray for you!

Pauline on 7/11/00 at 21:04 (023169)

Way to go Lori. If plan A doesn't work out you try plan B. I know
first hand about PF and depression. I think your school plan and
a new job is just what you needed. Start fresh and don't look back.
The change should be great. As you can see from my own posting,
I'm down too---it's part of PF because it takes soooo long to go away. Sometimes I think there is no light at the tunnel, but then
I remember I got rid of it last time after 2 1/2 years. This time
I try to tell myself, wait another 2 1/2 years then you have the right to worry. Just keep posting, we can help each other.

Karen S on 7/11/00 at 21:59 (023174)

Way to go Lori. Changing jobs is a big decision that I myself might have to do. I work on my feet all day, but have been off since April 12th due to the pain. After about an hour at work I could barely walk. Well I had my surgery on June 29th, but the results aren't in as to whether it has done any good. Will let you's know if that day ever comes. As for the depression, it's hard to have a good outlook, but I keep trying. Some days are better than others.

Beverly on 7/12/00 at 12:38 (023210)

Lori,

It sounds like you are being proactive and doing something! That is wonderful. Good luck with school. What are you going to study? I spent alot of years in school between undergrad and grad school. Campuses can involve alot of walking. Park smart. Can you get a handicap parking sticker? It will make all the difference in the world for you so that you don't have to walk so far that you're crawling by the time you get to your class. Also, I went to a college with very limited parking. I used to get to class 45 min early to get a good parking space. The 8:00 a.m. classes offer the best shot at a good space if you will get there early. I also found that the evening classes were easier in terms of parking if you got there early. Ditto on right after lunch classes if you get there early.

Good luck,
Beverly