Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back to Square One

Posted by Pauline on 7/11/00 at 20:54 (023168)

Just when I thought I was making progress, whammo my feet returned
to their original state. Lots of swelling and inflammation. All I did
was walk around the grocery store one time and now I'm back to square one. To top it off I talked to the nurse at the surgeons office in Atlanta where I am suppose to have surgery and she indicated the
surgery may be called off because of the PF. I will know on Wed
when the Dr. gets back. He want's no complications from anything
else when he does the surgery. This is the 4th time for cancellation
if it happens again. Its a long story, but I don't know if I'm up
to scheduling for a fifth time.

I hate PF and wish I could cut my feet off at this point. Today
I saw a man in a wheel chair with no legs so I said Thank You Lord,
I only have Plantar Fasciitis. But I still hate it and would like
to see some true progress. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.
Just had to vent.

Re: Back to Square One

Lori E. on 7/11/00 at 21:33 (023171)

Pauline,
I have been there before. I now have my wonderful understanding husband doing the grocery shopping. I have a 15 min.-one store rule. Anything over that and my feet are killing me and I have to go home to ice them. You could also check into online grocery delivery. They have it in Minneapolis, but the company my sister and PT use doesn't deliver to my town yet. So hubby gets a list e-mailed to work every week and does the shopping for us.
Thanks for your encouaging words below. I have learned the most important thing with improving is rest, rest, rest. After that, I exercise to loose weight and improve my circulation, bromelain, acupuncture,and good shoes. I also found ginger seems to help too. Good luck!

GinaC on 7/11/00 at 22:06 (023175)

I am so sorry about your setback....sometimes there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what triggers the pain. My first bout with PF went on for over a year; this episode of PF is now at 3 years plus, still counting. I can completely relate to the desire to cut your feet off and be done with PF-have felt that way myself. The feelings of helplessness that accompany PF are absolutely the worst. Hope things turn around for you--starting tomorrow!

Helene M on 7/12/00 at 09:20 (023195)

My current bout with PF has been going on for 6 months. During that time I made progress at a snail's pace until the 6th month. At that time I felt I had reached a new plateau where the swelling & inflammation had finally gone down. Needless to say, I was thrilled! However, after doing a few minor activities, the PF is back & I, too, am back to square one. It's too embarrasing to even mention what I did to cause this turnaround because it seems so utterly ridiculous. I've never had anything happen in my life as frustrating & exasperating as this condition, especially when no one around me has even a clue what this is like. Some days are harder than others but we must all hang in there & never give up.

Re: Back to Square One----Up date

Pauline on 7/12/00 at 13:41 (023213)

Well indeed surgery was cancelled. Infact the Dr. in Atlanta will not consider it until next summer. Must be completely free of PF.
He said I would be setting myself up for blood clots. My feet
are so inflammed today that they are like rockers. I'm beginning
to wondering if I have something in addition to Plantar Fasciitis.
Any suggested blood tests I should ask for???? My Dr said an MRI
at this time would not tell him anything. Suggestions please.

wendyn on 7/12/00 at 23:04 (023254)

Diabetes
Thyroid
B12
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Lupus
Bone scan to rule out stress fractures

Lori E. on 7/11/00 at 21:33 (023171)

Pauline,
I have been there before. I now have my wonderful understanding husband doing the grocery shopping. I have a 15 min.-one store rule. Anything over that and my feet are killing me and I have to go home to ice them. You could also check into online grocery delivery. They have it in Minneapolis, but the company my sister and PT use doesn't deliver to my town yet. So hubby gets a list e-mailed to work every week and does the shopping for us.
Thanks for your encouaging words below. I have learned the most important thing with improving is rest, rest, rest. After that, I exercise to loose weight and improve my circulation, bromelain, acupuncture,and good shoes. I also found ginger seems to help too. Good luck!

GinaC on 7/11/00 at 22:06 (023175)

I am so sorry about your setback....sometimes there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what triggers the pain. My first bout with PF went on for over a year; this episode of PF is now at 3 years plus, still counting. I can completely relate to the desire to cut your feet off and be done with PF-have felt that way myself. The feelings of helplessness that accompany PF are absolutely the worst. Hope things turn around for you--starting tomorrow!

Helene M on 7/12/00 at 09:20 (023195)

My current bout with PF has been going on for 6 months. During that time I made progress at a snail's pace until the 6th month. At that time I felt I had reached a new plateau where the swelling & inflammation had finally gone down. Needless to say, I was thrilled! However, after doing a few minor activities, the PF is back & I, too, am back to square one. It's too embarrasing to even mention what I did to cause this turnaround because it seems so utterly ridiculous. I've never had anything happen in my life as frustrating & exasperating as this condition, especially when no one around me has even a clue what this is like. Some days are harder than others but we must all hang in there & never give up.

Pauline on 7/12/00 at 13:41 (023213)

Well indeed surgery was cancelled. Infact the Dr. in Atlanta will not consider it until next summer. Must be completely free of PF.
He said I would be setting myself up for blood clots. My feet
are so inflammed today that they are like rockers. I'm beginning
to wondering if I have something in addition to Plantar Fasciitis.
Any suggested blood tests I should ask for???? My Dr said an MRI
at this time would not tell him anything. Suggestions please.

wendyn on 7/12/00 at 23:04 (023254)

Diabetes
Thyroid
B12
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Lupus
Bone scan to rule out stress fractures