Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Difference of heel spur and PF-MD said I have water corpuscle?????

Posted by Lori R. on 7/11/00 at 21:53 (023173)

God, I really have a heel spur. Maybe that is why it never got much better. I have had it for 3 months and I finally went to a doctor for an x-ray and it was confirmed. She fitted me for orthotics, gave me 3 pairs, (two soft and one hard) for different shoes. She said it is like reading. YOu need glasses just like I will need inserts. Do you agree. What is PF and what is the difference between it and heel spur. She also said, I have a water corpuscle which gets filled with water when I am not weight bearing. Has anyone ever heard of this???

Re: Difference of heel spur and PF-MD said I have water corpuscle?????

JudyS on 7/11/00 at 22:09 (023176)

Hi Lori - About that heel spur.....you need to know that the spur itself is usually only a symptom......of PF. Plantar Fasciitis is an inflammation of the 'tendon' that runs along the bottom/arch of your foot from the toe area to the heel bone. That tendon (Plantar) can become inflammed, sometimes shortened and 'pull' where it's attached at the heel, which in turn creates the 'spur' at the heel. This fasciitis is more or less like most 'itis's', for example tennis elbow...but it's more difficult to fix because we're on our feet all the time! Now, lots and lots of folks have heel spurs with no pain anywhere! Remember, the spur is just a symptom of the inflammation. The spur is not necessarily the problem, the Plantar Fasciitis is. It's normally treated with ibuprofen, rest, orthotics, mild stretching and mild strengthening. Keep reading this Board because you'll learn LOTS of valuable stuff. If you've only had it for three months than you're relatively lucky - it's early. If you follow the treatments and a healthy diet, you've a good chance of beating it. However, it does take time. Many of us here failed to treat it properly early so we've been stuck with a chronic problem.
I've never heard of a water corpuscle - maybe you can find out more about it from your Doc and educate us! Best of luck to you.

wendyn on 7/11/00 at 22:44 (023180)

Lori, Judy is right - a heel spur can exist without pain and vice versa. The fact that it's on the xray does not make your situation 'worse'. I have a spur on my left foot, but my right is the worst and I never have pain in my heels at all. I doubt that my spur has anything to do with anything.

It's true that some of us need orthotics just like folks need glasses - but not all of us can wear them. I have had a lot of problems with them and thus far I seem to only be able to wear Birks and running shoes with Birk inserts.

Give them a try - but start out slowly and listen to your feet.

john h on 7/12/00 at 09:15 (023193)

heelspurs are a 'symptom' of PF. many people have PF with no heelspur and many people have heelspurs with no PF. never heard of water corpuscle? 3 different types of orthorics? i have trouble getting used to just one pair.

Lori R. on 7/12/00 at 21:14 (023251)

thanks Judy. That really makes me feel better. But of course, I have been taking care of this for 3 months by stop running, getting massage and lympatic drainage, stretching it all the time, wearing soft thongs. I have recently switched to Birks instead of thongs and I feel better already. this is a long hall. I went to see a pod and she said I could run on dirt and when i come home to give it an icebath. What do you think. I don't have bad pain it is just uncomfortable and I have only taken 1 motrin in 3 months. I am trying to take care of myself. You mentioned diet. What about it? any recommendations. This massage therapist has given me essential oil to put on my foot. Have you tried it??

JudyS on 7/11/00 at 22:09 (023176)

Hi Lori - About that heel spur.....you need to know that the spur itself is usually only a symptom......of PF. Plantar Fasciitis is an inflammation of the 'tendon' that runs along the bottom/arch of your foot from the toe area to the heel bone. That tendon (Plantar) can become inflammed, sometimes shortened and 'pull' where it's attached at the heel, which in turn creates the 'spur' at the heel. This fasciitis is more or less like most 'itis's', for example tennis elbow...but it's more difficult to fix because we're on our feet all the time! Now, lots and lots of folks have heel spurs with no pain anywhere! Remember, the spur is just a symptom of the inflammation. The spur is not necessarily the problem, the Plantar Fasciitis is. It's normally treated with ibuprofen, rest, orthotics, mild stretching and mild strengthening. Keep reading this Board because you'll learn LOTS of valuable stuff. If you've only had it for three months than you're relatively lucky - it's early. If you follow the treatments and a healthy diet, you've a good chance of beating it. However, it does take time. Many of us here failed to treat it properly early so we've been stuck with a chronic problem.
I've never heard of a water corpuscle - maybe you can find out more about it from your Doc and educate us! Best of luck to you.

wendyn on 7/11/00 at 22:44 (023180)

Lori, Judy is right - a heel spur can exist without pain and vice versa. The fact that it's on the xray does not make your situation 'worse'. I have a spur on my left foot, but my right is the worst and I never have pain in my heels at all. I doubt that my spur has anything to do with anything.

It's true that some of us need orthotics just like folks need glasses - but not all of us can wear them. I have had a lot of problems with them and thus far I seem to only be able to wear Birks and running shoes with Birk inserts.

Give them a try - but start out slowly and listen to your feet.

john h on 7/12/00 at 09:15 (023193)

heelspurs are a 'symptom' of PF. many people have PF with no heelspur and many people have heelspurs with no PF. never heard of water corpuscle? 3 different types of orthorics? i have trouble getting used to just one pair.

Lori R. on 7/12/00 at 21:14 (023251)

thanks Judy. That really makes me feel better. But of course, I have been taking care of this for 3 months by stop running, getting massage and lympatic drainage, stretching it all the time, wearing soft thongs. I have recently switched to Birks instead of thongs and I feel better already. this is a long hall. I went to see a pod and she said I could run on dirt and when i come home to give it an icebath. What do you think. I don't have bad pain it is just uncomfortable and I have only taken 1 motrin in 3 months. I am trying to take care of myself. You mentioned diet. What about it? any recommendations. This massage therapist has given me essential oil to put on my foot. Have you tried it??