Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF Friendly Careers

Posted by Kim B. on 7/11/00 at 22:32 (023177)

Hi sufferage friends, (Ougggg! I hate my FEET!)

Lori's recent post got me to thinking...what are all the possibilities for PF friendly jobs?. Let's get this ball rolling, I'll go first:
1. Sales/Desk job
2. CAD Operator/Desktop Publisher/Web Designer (tough on the neck and arms though, insist on proper ergonomics all the way if you go this route!)
3. Dern, I'm stuck, anyone else?

Kim B.

Re: PF Friendly Careers

JudyS on 7/11/00 at 22:43 (023178)

4. Counselor
5. Therapist
6. Tight-rope walker.......

Karen S on 7/11/00 at 22:43 (023179)

I work in a grocery store, and I know there are no suitable jobs there for my feet. I couldn't even get proper modified work there, so I would like to know JUST WHAT JOBS are we suited for as well.

wendyn on 7/11/00 at 23:04 (023182)

wine taster
quality control rep at the candy factory (sampling of course)
professional TV critic
professional chess player
phone sex operator
professional gambler
lazy Boy chair tester
remote control durability tester
book critic
romance novelist

I'm sorry, I know you're being serious. I've had a long day.

Any desk job is best - but most still require walking or standing to a point. Anything that requires you to be chained to your desk like a call centre rep or computer programmer would be ideal. I do accounting and that's just about boring enough to be good for my feet. Unfortunately I always seem to be running here or there, and never spending enough time at my desk resting my feet. My boss would say I never spend enough time at my desk actually working, but that's beside the point.

Nancy S. on 7/12/00 at 07:46 (023188)

mail deliverer? (by vehicle of course)
proofreader
editor
receptionist
toll taker
writer of a book about PF

john h on 7/12/00 at 09:07 (023192)

1. a prisoner in solitary confinment.
2. a web master.
3. an astronuaut on a one year trip in outer space with no gravity.
4. be like howard hughes in his last years. never get out of bed.
5. be one of the restorers of the flag that flew over ft mchenry. they work 8 hrs a day suspended in a prone position over the flag restoring it stitch by stitch.

JudyS on 7/12/00 at 09:41 (023198)

6. Darva Conger

sue g. on 7/12/00 at 11:24 (023202)

Judy S., thanks for the best laugh I have had all week! rofl

Laurie R on 7/12/00 at 12:00 (023205)

Hi to everyone,
This is so sad. I have been a Bartender for 16 years and I love it.Now my Pod and my attorney and Husband say I need to find something else to do that I don't have to stand.I have been off work due to PF and TTS for 10 months and sure miss working.I guess I am just being hard headed but their is nothing else I want to do ,I can not work in a office nor can I work days .I have to work nights due to my Children ,plus I am not a morning person.Any suggestions? Maybe we all can become Podiatrists......Laurie R

Re: A career idea for Laurie

Beverly on 7/12/00 at 12:24 (023206)

Laurie, bartenders listen alot... the poor man's therapist. Would you like something that is in a helping field ... like a counselor or social worker? In Texas, we have Texas Rehab. It sends people who were disabled from previous work back to school to learn something else. (No cost to you or very little cost.) I'll bet your state has something like that too.

On the otherhand, if bartending is exciting because, you like constantly being surrounded by people and you like the club environment, could you be the person who checks people in at the door? The one you give your money to at the door...who stamps your hand? It seems like those people are always sitting. Or move higher up to a really classy joint like a private club or country club and be the girl who takes fur coats and hats. I'm sure the tips are good there.

How are you doing today?
Beverly

Nancy S. on 7/12/00 at 13:48 (023215)

I feel like a complete throwback, but who or what the heck is Darva Conger? Is this one of those things I don't know because I don't have kids? Webster, Cookie, and Ramsay (the cats) have not clued me in.
--Clueless in Maine

Nancy S. on 7/12/00 at 14:08 (023219)

wig model
Izzy Alcantera
radio personality
hammock demonstrator

Laurie, you might turn on the charm and find a bar owner willing to set you up at the center of a round bar, where you are seated in the middle on a big Lazy-Susan, and everything you need to make fabulous drinks is within reach on multi-Lazy-Susans all around you. I'm serious. They'd probably make a lot of money. I know how you must miss it. Don't give up. --Nancy

Lori E. on 7/12/00 at 14:43 (023224)

Nancy,
Darva is the woman who 'won' on Who Wants to Marry a Multimillionaire, she then lost her job as a nurse, so she posed nude for Playboy. Not a whole lot of walking involved in that job, and no more nursing on hard hospital floors. I didn't get a chance to watch the show, but it's been all over the t.v. ever since.

Nancy S. on 7/12/00 at 15:28 (023228)

Thank you, Lori, ah yes, I seem to remember something about Darva from the pit of my winter PF depression. Guess I blotted her out during transcendance (which is now effective about 3 days out of 4).
I really admire the changes you're making in your life as a result of PF. Your referring to something like this as a sign to evaluate what's wrong with your life caught my eye. I've had to do that in a big way several times as a result of one crisis or another, and I keep thinking now: Why did this happen, what was wrong, what needed changing that I might have prevented this? In the big picture, all I can think of is that I turned into a 'hurrying' person when I took up antiquing. I hurried and overworked -- but it was mostly out of love for what I was doing, so I'm having a hard time making that fit with something being 'wrong.' Maybe it doesn't have to be wrong in the abstract, just wrong for the person. Maybe that way of working was just wrong for me. But I'm still thinking on it, often in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.
I'm glad you brought this up.
--Nancy

Re: PF Friendly Careers Re Nancy and Beverly

Laurie R on 7/12/00 at 16:07 (023231)

Ok both of you ........

I could not stop laughing really Beverly a hat check girl ??? Now I am not saying that their is anything wrong with that type of job just not right for me.And Nancy put me on a lazy Susan in the middle of the bar,Now whos nuts level is up today ? I will tell you mine is I think I have been in the house to long.

Thanks for the laugh ladies I did need that today.Pain level is down yes this makes day 4 but nuts level is up ,I will take nuts level over pain level any day.Have a good one and keep thinking of a job for me ok??? Your PF Buddy Laurie R

Re: Laurie, a more practical idea

Beverly on 7/12/00 at 20:32 (023246)

Laurie,

Okay, a hat check girl is not for you. I was picturing rich old coots who tip well... Come to think of it, I have not seen a hat check girl since I was a kid. No guy younger than my Dad wears hats! Ha! Ha!

Here is a more practical idea. If you were to go to a job coach, he/she would probably help you determine what it is about bartending that you like so much and then look for ways to retool that into a new career.

There are many 'do-it-yourself' versions in book form.
My favorite is: 'Making Your Dreams Come True: Find Your Passion With America's Dream Coach' by Marcia Wieder. This is by far the best book I have found on this topic. It is an easy read... not at all boring. However, it is CRITICAL that you do the exercises in the workbook part of the book. I did this book and applied it to my life, and I have been surprised how much it has helped me.

Another book that is older and better known is: 'The Path:Creating Your Mission Statement for Work and for Life' by Laurie Beth Jones. Once again, the exercises are important.

I like the Dream book better, but they are both good books. A timeless book in a similar vein is 'What Color Is Your Parachute?'

You will find all three books in the business section of a big bookstore like Barnes and Noble.

I would combine one of the first two with 'What Color Is Your Parachute?'

Good luck,
Beverly

Laurie R on 7/13/00 at 12:00 (023272)

Hi Beverly,
This was so sweet of you to take out time to give me all the names of these books. I will check these out on line at BN .I love positive thinking ,thats what is getting me through this foot stuff. Today is day 5 and I am happy to say that my foot is still painful but NOTHING like it was I can deal with the pain I have today.Thanks again.......Laurie R

sue g. on 7/14/00 at 01:01 (023303)

who the heck is Izzy Alcantera???

Nancy S. on 7/14/00 at 06:37 (023307)

Izzy Alcantera was recently invited up by the Red Sox to play right field. There, for a few games, he stood out in the field and watched as opponents' batted baseballs dropped right in front of him. Never took a step (well, maybe a couple of halfhearted ones).
Now he just sits in the dugout, smiling.
--Nancy

sue g on 7/15/00 at 19:21 (023386)

we know ol' Izzy will never have PF! Thanks for letting me know who he is!

JudyS on 7/11/00 at 22:43 (023178)

4. Counselor
5. Therapist
6. Tight-rope walker.......

Karen S on 7/11/00 at 22:43 (023179)

I work in a grocery store, and I know there are no suitable jobs there for my feet. I couldn't even get proper modified work there, so I would like to know JUST WHAT JOBS are we suited for as well.

wendyn on 7/11/00 at 23:04 (023182)

wine taster
quality control rep at the candy factory (sampling of course)
professional TV critic
professional chess player
phone sex operator
professional gambler
lazy Boy chair tester
remote control durability tester
book critic
romance novelist

I'm sorry, I know you're being serious. I've had a long day.

Any desk job is best - but most still require walking or standing to a point. Anything that requires you to be chained to your desk like a call centre rep or computer programmer would be ideal. I do accounting and that's just about boring enough to be good for my feet. Unfortunately I always seem to be running here or there, and never spending enough time at my desk resting my feet. My boss would say I never spend enough time at my desk actually working, but that's beside the point.

Nancy S. on 7/12/00 at 07:46 (023188)

mail deliverer? (by vehicle of course)
proofreader
editor
receptionist
toll taker
writer of a book about PF

john h on 7/12/00 at 09:07 (023192)

1. a prisoner in solitary confinment.
2. a web master.
3. an astronuaut on a one year trip in outer space with no gravity.
4. be like howard hughes in his last years. never get out of bed.
5. be one of the restorers of the flag that flew over ft mchenry. they work 8 hrs a day suspended in a prone position over the flag restoring it stitch by stitch.

JudyS on 7/12/00 at 09:41 (023198)

6. Darva Conger

sue g. on 7/12/00 at 11:24 (023202)

Judy S., thanks for the best laugh I have had all week! rofl

Laurie R on 7/12/00 at 12:00 (023205)

Hi to everyone,
This is so sad. I have been a Bartender for 16 years and I love it.Now my Pod and my attorney and Husband say I need to find something else to do that I don't have to stand.I have been off work due to PF and TTS for 10 months and sure miss working.I guess I am just being hard headed but their is nothing else I want to do ,I can not work in a office nor can I work days .I have to work nights due to my Children ,plus I am not a morning person.Any suggestions? Maybe we all can become Podiatrists......Laurie R

Re: A career idea for Laurie

Beverly on 7/12/00 at 12:24 (023206)

Laurie, bartenders listen alot... the poor man's therapist. Would you like something that is in a helping field ... like a counselor or social worker? In Texas, we have Texas Rehab. It sends people who were disabled from previous work back to school to learn something else. (No cost to you or very little cost.) I'll bet your state has something like that too.

On the otherhand, if bartending is exciting because, you like constantly being surrounded by people and you like the club environment, could you be the person who checks people in at the door? The one you give your money to at the door...who stamps your hand? It seems like those people are always sitting. Or move higher up to a really classy joint like a private club or country club and be the girl who takes fur coats and hats. I'm sure the tips are good there.

How are you doing today?
Beverly

Nancy S. on 7/12/00 at 13:48 (023215)

I feel like a complete throwback, but who or what the heck is Darva Conger? Is this one of those things I don't know because I don't have kids? Webster, Cookie, and Ramsay (the cats) have not clued me in.
--Clueless in Maine

Nancy S. on 7/12/00 at 14:08 (023219)

wig model
Izzy Alcantera
radio personality
hammock demonstrator

Laurie, you might turn on the charm and find a bar owner willing to set you up at the center of a round bar, where you are seated in the middle on a big Lazy-Susan, and everything you need to make fabulous drinks is within reach on multi-Lazy-Susans all around you. I'm serious. They'd probably make a lot of money. I know how you must miss it. Don't give up. --Nancy

Lori E. on 7/12/00 at 14:43 (023224)

Nancy,
Darva is the woman who 'won' on Who Wants to Marry a Multimillionaire, she then lost her job as a nurse, so she posed nude for Playboy. Not a whole lot of walking involved in that job, and no more nursing on hard hospital floors. I didn't get a chance to watch the show, but it's been all over the t.v. ever since.

Nancy S. on 7/12/00 at 15:28 (023228)

Thank you, Lori, ah yes, I seem to remember something about Darva from the pit of my winter PF depression. Guess I blotted her out during transcendance (which is now effective about 3 days out of 4).
I really admire the changes you're making in your life as a result of PF. Your referring to something like this as a sign to evaluate what's wrong with your life caught my eye. I've had to do that in a big way several times as a result of one crisis or another, and I keep thinking now: Why did this happen, what was wrong, what needed changing that I might have prevented this? In the big picture, all I can think of is that I turned into a 'hurrying' person when I took up antiquing. I hurried and overworked -- but it was mostly out of love for what I was doing, so I'm having a hard time making that fit with something being 'wrong.' Maybe it doesn't have to be wrong in the abstract, just wrong for the person. Maybe that way of working was just wrong for me. But I'm still thinking on it, often in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.
I'm glad you brought this up.
--Nancy

Re: PF Friendly Careers Re Nancy and Beverly

Laurie R on 7/12/00 at 16:07 (023231)

Ok both of you ........

I could not stop laughing really Beverly a hat check girl ??? Now I am not saying that their is anything wrong with that type of job just not right for me.And Nancy put me on a lazy Susan in the middle of the bar,Now whos nuts level is up today ? I will tell you mine is I think I have been in the house to long.

Thanks for the laugh ladies I did need that today.Pain level is down yes this makes day 4 but nuts level is up ,I will take nuts level over pain level any day.Have a good one and keep thinking of a job for me ok??? Your PF Buddy Laurie R

Beverly on 7/12/00 at 20:32 (023246)

Laurie,

Okay, a hat check girl is not for you. I was picturing rich old coots who tip well... Come to think of it, I have not seen a hat check girl since I was a kid. No guy younger than my Dad wears hats! Ha! Ha!

Here is a more practical idea. If you were to go to a job coach, he/she would probably help you determine what it is about bartending that you like so much and then look for ways to retool that into a new career.

There are many 'do-it-yourself' versions in book form.
My favorite is: 'Making Your Dreams Come True: Find Your Passion With America's Dream Coach' by Marcia Wieder. This is by far the best book I have found on this topic. It is an easy read... not at all boring. However, it is CRITICAL that you do the exercises in the workbook part of the book. I did this book and applied it to my life, and I have been surprised how much it has helped me.

Another book that is older and better known is: 'The Path:Creating Your Mission Statement for Work and for Life' by Laurie Beth Jones. Once again, the exercises are important.

I like the Dream book better, but they are both good books. A timeless book in a similar vein is 'What Color Is Your Parachute?'

You will find all three books in the business section of a big bookstore like Barnes and Noble.

I would combine one of the first two with 'What Color Is Your Parachute?'

Good luck,
Beverly

Laurie R on 7/13/00 at 12:00 (023272)

Hi Beverly,
This was so sweet of you to take out time to give me all the names of these books. I will check these out on line at BN .I love positive thinking ,thats what is getting me through this foot stuff. Today is day 5 and I am happy to say that my foot is still painful but NOTHING like it was I can deal with the pain I have today.Thanks again.......Laurie R

sue g. on 7/14/00 at 01:01 (023303)

who the heck is Izzy Alcantera???

Nancy S. on 7/14/00 at 06:37 (023307)

Izzy Alcantera was recently invited up by the Red Sox to play right field. There, for a few games, he stood out in the field and watched as opponents' batted baseballs dropped right in front of him. Never took a step (well, maybe a couple of halfhearted ones).
Now he just sits in the dugout, smiling.
--Nancy

sue g on 7/15/00 at 19:21 (023386)

we know ol' Izzy will never have PF! Thanks for letting me know who he is!