Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and life changes, Nancy -long

Posted by Lori E. on 7/12/00 at 17:04 (023236)

I reply to your comment about changes that brought on PF. You and I both changed jobs and got PF. I think that the job changes where you are on your feet factor into getting to PF, but sometimes it's not the job that causes it. I did some reading about health issues, holistic medicine and mind/body connections. When there is something wrong with your feet, it sometimes means that you took the wrong path in life.(Your feet correspond to choices you make and where you go in life.) I am not saying that it is always a job, maybe sometimes it's just adjusting to a new situation, and being mentally ready for it. It could be a new house, a new job, a new baby. All these things cause you to be on your feet more. But when pain turns chronic, there is usually something more going on in your life and you have to think about choices you have made when this all happened. I was trying to get out of a bad situation(running away), and got myself into a worse one. My psychiatrist enspouses this theory too. I am getting better slowly, but I didn't really start turning the corner until I decided to quit my job. Even when I decided to go back to school, (before I decided that leaving my company was the right thing to do,) and was doing all the preliminary work to return to the U, my feet were not getting better. It was only after I had really begun a job search and sending out resumes that the pain really came down a couple of notches. I started to really take care of myself and my needs and to start saying no to things that asked too much of me. Being in a helping/caring profession, I think that I eventually just gave all I could and couldn't give any more. I had to look at the things I really loved to do and figure out how to make that a career. I thought back to what I loved to do as a kid. I didn't expect when I starting all of this thinking that it would lead me back to school, but it was something I didn't finish, and I think subconciously I wanted to do something now that made me happy. Carolyn Myss has a book about your body and illnesses that correspond to troubles in your life. This is not to say that PF is anybody's fault, it's just food for thought in dealing with somthing that is so difficult for us all to cope with.

Re: PF and life changes, Nancy -long

Nancy S. on 7/13/00 at 09:52 (023265)

That is all food for thought, Lori. And I can see the mind/body connection in your situation -- getting too depleted mentally and emotionally, it's going to show up somewhere.
Your post got me thinking how even though I love my work, it has been exhausting and I think I was doing too much of it. Also, you got me thinking about other things I love that got put on hold when I started putting my ALL into my work. For example, I've done artwork for 15 years, but for the last four years it has been sadly neglected and I miss it, I miss it a lot. Maybe one reason for the PF, besides abuse of my feet, is that I'm missing out on other things meaningful to me, and my body is trying to slow me down so look at that.
Thanks --Nancy

Lori E. on 7/13/00 at 10:01 (023267)

Do you have time to do your art now? I know getting started on somethng you haven't done in a while can be hard sometimes. I think that expressing artistically is one of the most healthy things a person can do! Is your art something you can do off your feet? Maybe you can add your artwork into your antiquing business. My aunt has an antique boutique and she sells art too. Just a thought,I know almost nothing about the antique business. I hope you find a solution to continuing what you love to do and taking care of your feet. Is there a way that you can get more help in your business? I am sure these are all questions you already asked yourself, but now you got me thinking. Thanks for the reply. Good luck.

Nancy S. on 7/13/00 at 21:46 (023293)

Lori, thanks for your thoughts. At first I did sell my artwork along with antiques -- then I drifted away when I found that all my time was going to acquiring antiques, moving them around a few different shops, and trying to keep my barn in shape. I stopped making time to do art. But you're right -- I could be doing it now, just feel a little paralyzed, I guess. It would be good to shelve the paralysis and Just Do It -- it was and can be again a going part of the business, and, just as important, as I'm now into the second year of foot problems, it nourishes my spirit. I certainly agree with you that art is one of the healthiest, most replenishing things a person can do -- and I'd like to see more people tapping into their creativity this way (e.g., politicians!). You certainly don't have to sell the art you do for it to open your heart up and make you more receptive to and resourceful in the world.
Best of luck to you too, Lori. --Nancy
p.s. I think I might start back into it by doing a watercolor series of feet, as I now know them! One foot study a day -- might help keep the ______ away.

Nancy S. on 7/13/00 at 09:52 (023265)

That is all food for thought, Lori. And I can see the mind/body connection in your situation -- getting too depleted mentally and emotionally, it's going to show up somewhere.
Your post got me thinking how even though I love my work, it has been exhausting and I think I was doing too much of it. Also, you got me thinking about other things I love that got put on hold when I started putting my ALL into my work. For example, I've done artwork for 15 years, but for the last four years it has been sadly neglected and I miss it, I miss it a lot. Maybe one reason for the PF, besides abuse of my feet, is that I'm missing out on other things meaningful to me, and my body is trying to slow me down so look at that.
Thanks --Nancy

Lori E. on 7/13/00 at 10:01 (023267)

Do you have time to do your art now? I know getting started on somethng you haven't done in a while can be hard sometimes. I think that expressing artistically is one of the most healthy things a person can do! Is your art something you can do off your feet? Maybe you can add your artwork into your antiquing business. My aunt has an antique boutique and she sells art too. Just a thought,I know almost nothing about the antique business. I hope you find a solution to continuing what you love to do and taking care of your feet. Is there a way that you can get more help in your business? I am sure these are all questions you already asked yourself, but now you got me thinking. Thanks for the reply. Good luck.

Nancy S. on 7/13/00 at 21:46 (023293)

Lori, thanks for your thoughts. At first I did sell my artwork along with antiques -- then I drifted away when I found that all my time was going to acquiring antiques, moving them around a few different shops, and trying to keep my barn in shape. I stopped making time to do art. But you're right -- I could be doing it now, just feel a little paralyzed, I guess. It would be good to shelve the paralysis and Just Do It -- it was and can be again a going part of the business, and, just as important, as I'm now into the second year of foot problems, it nourishes my spirit. I certainly agree with you that art is one of the healthiest, most replenishing things a person can do -- and I'd like to see more people tapping into their creativity this way (e.g., politicians!). You certainly don't have to sell the art you do for it to open your heart up and make you more receptive to and resourceful in the world.
Best of luck to you too, Lori. --Nancy
p.s. I think I might start back into it by doing a watercolor series of feet, as I now know them! One foot study a day -- might help keep the ______ away.