Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I finally hit paydirt! Don't give up.

Posted by Beverly on 7/12/00 at 20:57 (023248)

Hi gang!

I think I finally hit 'doctor' paydirt. It took five doctors to get there, and by the time I went to this last orthopedic surgeon, I was questioning my own sanity in continuing this 'doctor' search, but since this last guy is so popular and hard to see, I couldn't see wasting the appointment.

Finally, I found someone who is both knowledgeable and who takes my pain seriously. This guy specializes in the lower body and sports medicine.
I liked him so much better than the first orthopedic guy. This one took really fancy x-rays and spent a good bit of time examining my foot. He says he does not see any complications beyond PF. I appreciated that he was realistic and didn't give me any song and dance that his treatment would cure me in a few weeks. (Been there... heard that...) He says it is not unusual for PF to go chronic and take nine months to a year to heal.

He sent me home with a very extensive perscription for physical therapy. I am getting: massage, ice massage, stretching instructions, iontophoresis, and pool therapy! All this 3x a week for 3 weeks. Plus, he makes videos on various ailments and sent me home with one on PF that includes stretching instructions. The video made me feel like he takes PF seriously... He took enough time to make a video. Plus, he was very nice.

He also stressed the importance of stretching. I'm scared, but I'm going to give it a try... with caution/slowly. I've now heard more doctors say 'stretch' than 'don't stretch.' Since I'll be doing it under the supervision of physical therapy, I feel safer.

He also said it is really important for me not to walk anymore than neccessary if I want to try to speedup recovery.

So, I'm going to stay with this guy. I'm tired of 'shopping,' and I really think he is the best choice in town.

So that is it,
Beverly

Re: I finally hit paydirt! Don't give up.

Lori E. on 7/12/00 at 21:13 (023250)

Beverly,
Good for you that you finally found the right doctor! It sounds like he is a good one. As far as stretching, just don't over do it. You want to feel a gentle pull, not a hard painful stretch. If you feel like you have over done it one day, give yourself a day or so of rest and icing. The stretching and massage are to improve your circulation to help the tissues heal.
My own podiatrist told me too that it would take 9 month to a year for this to heal. I am recovering slowly and am in my 11th month of this and am trying hard not to overdo it and end up with a set back. I am hoping to be good to go when I start school in Sept. Good luck and ask your PT alot of questions and if you are not sure if you are doing a stretch right, ask again, that's what they are there for.

Laurie R on 7/13/00 at 11:51 (023271)

Hello Beverly,
This doctor sounds like the kind of doctor that cares.I would stay with him also.He sounds like he really took his time with you.He has a good out look.And the most important thing he took you seriously.I am also a big believer in PT ,sometimes it seems like it is not working but I think in the long run it helps.

Also I am so happy for you that you have found a good doctor.Your right don't ever give up even on the really really bad pain days,boy do I know this ,just like last week for me ,I said I can give up or I can have a good attitude I choose to have a good attitude and it did help me.Today makes day 5 and I am still doing better. I will now give up. Thanks for posting your story ,it is so good to hear that their are good doctors out there.My best to you Beverly.......Laurie R

Linda H. on 7/14/00 at 14:53 (023342)

Hi Beverly,
I just found this site today and am trying to self diagnose my heel pain and have come up with PF. I have all the typical symptoms and am now scared this IS serious. It started a month ago and rather than get better, everthing else did , it has become worse.
My experience w/ Dr.'s is so glum. I just don't trust them. I live in the Seattle area and near Sports med. and the University of WA Hospital. I really need a referral and would appreciate your newly found Dr.'s suggestion.My insurance is for major medical only and I cannot afford to go from DR. to DR. before I find help. I hope this is not an inapproiate request.
Most Sincerely,
Linda

Lori E. on 7/12/00 at 21:13 (023250)

Beverly,
Good for you that you finally found the right doctor! It sounds like he is a good one. As far as stretching, just don't over do it. You want to feel a gentle pull, not a hard painful stretch. If you feel like you have over done it one day, give yourself a day or so of rest and icing. The stretching and massage are to improve your circulation to help the tissues heal.
My own podiatrist told me too that it would take 9 month to a year for this to heal. I am recovering slowly and am in my 11th month of this and am trying hard not to overdo it and end up with a set back. I am hoping to be good to go when I start school in Sept. Good luck and ask your PT alot of questions and if you are not sure if you are doing a stretch right, ask again, that's what they are there for.

Laurie R on 7/13/00 at 11:51 (023271)

Hello Beverly,
This doctor sounds like the kind of doctor that cares.I would stay with him also.He sounds like he really took his time with you.He has a good out look.And the most important thing he took you seriously.I am also a big believer in PT ,sometimes it seems like it is not working but I think in the long run it helps.

Also I am so happy for you that you have found a good doctor.Your right don't ever give up even on the really really bad pain days,boy do I know this ,just like last week for me ,I said I can give up or I can have a good attitude I choose to have a good attitude and it did help me.Today makes day 5 and I am still doing better. I will now give up. Thanks for posting your story ,it is so good to hear that their are good doctors out there.My best to you Beverly.......Laurie R

Linda H. on 7/14/00 at 14:53 (023342)

Hi Beverly,
I just found this site today and am trying to self diagnose my heel pain and have come up with PF. I have all the typical symptoms and am now scared this IS serious. It started a month ago and rather than get better, everthing else did , it has become worse.
My experience w/ Dr.'s is so glum. I just don't trust them. I live in the Seattle area and near Sports med. and the University of WA Hospital. I really need a referral and would appreciate your newly found Dr.'s suggestion.My insurance is for major medical only and I cannot afford to go from DR. to DR. before I find help. I hope this is not an inapproiate request.
Most Sincerely,
Linda